The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
High quality desktop-size mixer?
Old 19th June 2005
Lives for gear

High quality desktop-size mixer?

Hey fellow slutz,
In the ongoing quest for a slimmed-down studio and of course better sound I've been looking at various mixer options as a replacement for the current Mackie 1642 VLZ pro. Don't really use mics much, just one recently-purchased Rode NT2000 for narration/voice-over stuff but that 's been going straight into the RME Fireface. Otherwise it's multi-channel out from DAW and mixing down to DAT etc, although that might go in favour of the RME/Totalmix summing as mentioned here. I trialled the Onyx 1220 and have to say I found it WAY better than the 1642. Before I drop for one though (having decided I would still like a mixer for various other functions besides pure recording) I'd just like to know if anyone has any other suggestions? If there was an Allen and Heath of a similar size to the 1220 I'd def. be interested, there isn't unfortunately. I know a large number of people in a similar situation who are quite serious about good sound, are basically desktop/computer-based but still have the odd bit o' hardware and like to run a compressor (where are the bus/master inserts on the 1220????) or an ext FX unit and don't need 16 or even 12 channels really. Make me a 10 channel, 2 bus mixer w/inserts, solo level adjustment, no internal FW sound option and no built-in FX w/say a max. of 4 mic pres, (we could prob. think up a bunch of other features too) all using NICE components and GOOD build, about yea big and I'd pay $1000 for the right machine. It's not quite silly money and I think there are enough peeps in a similar situation who'd buy something like this to make it worthwhile doing. Whaddaya think or am I barking up the wrong patch-bay?
Old 20th June 2005
krs
Lives for gear

I don't know **** about mixers, but I own an Onyx 1620, and I concur it sounds much better than the VLZ Pro stuff. The eq is 100x better. The pres are solid.

Consider this a big for the Onyx.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Sony MXP-390. Find it on ebay for $400-600. There's always someone trying to sell theirs for $1200, but I've never actaully seen one sell for that price.

Very flexible monitoring matrix, clean sound, cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Hey fellow slutz,
In the ongoing quest for a slimmed-down studio and of course better sound I've been looking at various mixer options as a replacement for the current Mackie 1642 VLZ pro. Don't really use mics much, just one recently-purchased Rode NT2000 for narration/voice-over stuff but that 's been going straight into the RME Fireface. Otherwise it's multi-channel out from DAW and mixing down to DAT etc, although that might go in favour of the RME/Totalmix summing as mentioned here. I trialled the Onyx 1220 and have to say I found it WAY better than the 1642. Before I drop for one though (having decided I would still like a mixer for various other functions besides pure recording) I'd just like to know if anyone has any other suggestions? If there was an Allen and Heath of a similar size to the 1220 I'd def. be interested, there isn't unfortunately. I know a large number of people in a similar situation who are quite serious about good sound, are basically desktop/computer-based but still have the odd bit o' hardware and like to run a compressor (where are the bus/master inserts on the 1220????) or an ext FX unit and don't need 16 or even 12 channels really. Make me a 10 channel, 2 bus mixer w/inserts, solo level adjustment, no internal FW sound option and no built-in FX w/say a max. of 4 mic pres, (we could prob. think up a bunch of other features too) all using NICE components and GOOD build, about yea big and I'd pay $1000 for the right machine. It's not quite silly money and I think there are enough peeps in a similar situation who'd buy something like this to make it worthwhile doing. Whaddaya think or am I barking up the wrong patch-bay?
Old 21st June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Hey fellow slutz,
In the ongoing quest for a slimmed-down studio and of course better sound I've been looking at various mixer options as a replacement for the current Mackie 1642 VLZ pro. [...] Make me a 10 channel, 2 bus mixer w/inserts, solo level adjustment, no internal FW sound option and no built-in FX w/say a max. of 4 mic pres, (we could prob. think up a bunch of other features too) all using NICE components and GOOD build, about yea big and I'd pay $1000 for the right machine. It's not quite silly money and I think there are enough peeps in a similar situation who'd buy something like this to make it worthwhile doing. Whaddaya think or am I barking up the wrong patch-bay?
Well, the Midas Venice 160 is just a bit out of your budget and has 8 more mic pres and two more busses than you want, but if you try it, you'll never go back. It's just insanely sweet, and usually $1600-$1800 on eBay.
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Yep Midas looks nice and all and I did look seriously at one a while ago (do take into account they're waaaay more expensive here in Japan!) but it just has way too much ...stuff....for my needs, the space it takes is also an issue for a desktop unit. Gimme a 1/2 or even 1/3-sized Midas and I'm sold!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search