The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
cable lengths between mic & pre
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Nut

cable lengths between mic & pre

ssl indicates that the main reason they put out the xlogic mic amp was to reduce the distance of long mic-cable runs -so that the preamp can be placed next to the mic and then the amplified signal can get the long cable run. with my setup -i'm concerned that the mic cable i'm currently using may be too long. its a 50 foot cable (i only really need about 37 feet between the mic and preamp) -cable is a Pro Co DynaMike. should i move the preamp closer to the mic? does anyone have any comments on (or use) Pro Co DynaMike brand cable? thanks for help -c
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Dont worry about it- 50 ft is nothing.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
Dont worry about it- 50 ft is nothing.
mr. america is correct...50' is safe...

BUT... if you're crazy like me, put all the pre's in the live room next to the drums...Then feed a LINE level signal over your 50' snake box....You'll never go back to having the pre amps in the control room again. It sounds better, tastes better, and makes the drums sound like all hell is breaking loose...
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
mr. america is correct...50' is safe...

BUT... if you're crazy like me, put all the pre's in the live room next to the drums...Then feed a LINE level signal over your 50' snake box....You'll never go back to having the pre amps in the control room again. It sounds better, tastes better, and makes the drums sound like all hell is breaking loose...
I would make a bet that you will hear 0 difference in the sound.
Old 17th June 2005
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs
Hey? Whats up with the flag?
Historically, an upside down American flag is a distress signal. To many people (including me), the US is in deep trouble right now.
Old 18th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin
Historically, an upside down American flag is a distress signal. To many people (including me), the US is in deep trouble right now.
The folks at Haliburton seem to be doing just fine.

Halliburton to build new $30 mln Guantanamo jail
http://tinyurl.com/cktzl
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Leave it to Dave to hit the nail on the head....I think if you look around you'll see more and more upside down flags as people start to wake up to the BS the current administation is pulling.....
Old 18th June 2005
Lives for gear

i use a 100 foot snake with 25 ft mic cables on it with no problems.
Old 19th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

this is the sound of preamps in the live room(SOUNDS GREAT )
http://www.ronthaler.com/elimotion.html
http://www.ronthaler.com/mp3/Jam%201%20(excerpt).mp3
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Nut

sounds cool... i met with niel feldman at this year's NAB and SSL is pretty serious about this issue. the xlogic mic amp is designed to be placed near the source mic -and then controlled remotely via a communication cable between the preamp and a SSL console (all features controlled remotely at the console: gain, phase, hi-z, pad, 48v, mon). the gain knob is not that smooth when you turn it manually because its designed to be remote controlled.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search