The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best way to stick a piezo transducer to a vibrating element?
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Question Best way to stick a piezo transducer to a vibrating element?

Hello,

I have built contact microphones with piezo transducers. However, I wonder what is the best way to stick the piezo transducer to the vibrating element so to have both a good recording and a long lifetime for the transducer. Should I use tape or should I use some kind of modelling clay? What kind of clay is shipped with commercial contact microphones?

Thank you for helping.

Amundsen
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

I opened the lid on an dirty old beat to crap grand piano to find a PZM glued with epoxy to the lid...

Gaffer tape fixes everything.
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

Rear-view mirror adhesive.

Or, cynalacrilate - crazy glue.

Either will be permanent, so choose your position carefully.
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Guru

If you want a non-glue (non-permanent) solution, I have found Fun-Tak to work well on my drum triggers. Its a kind of blue putty that is used to put photos or posters on a wall instead of thumb tacks. It has plenty of holding power, but can be repositioned easily.
Old 2nd July 2013
Gear Maniac

Schertler Putty for Schertler DYN Series pups. Designed specifically to maintain contact while not marring instrument (guitar soundboard) finish. Coin is about $20 at many guitar shops, like Elderly, Guitar Center, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search