The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
mics with a upper midrange bite......
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Maniac

mics with a upper midrange bite......

Hey guys i have a problem........i'm trying to get sum current style rap vocals and all my condensers sound too smiley faced for rap vox. For old school style the lower end is okay.........but now the current artists like 50 cent and The game all seem to have a sound with less lower mids and some added upper mids.

Any ideas on which mics work?

I've heard the u47 is really great for emphasizing the upper mids..........but thats way out of my price range.
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

The Blue Mouse and Audio Tech 4047 would be good choices. The Blue is larger-sounding with a nicer low end. The 4047 is less expensive.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

Try an SM7 too.
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Head

I discovered by accident that the AKG D880 has TOO MUCH midrange bite for my vocals...so maybe it's right for your project.

The D880 seems to be AKG's latest answer to the Shure 58, so it's never more than 99 bucks--but I've also seen them on sale for much less. They sound surprisingly good on guitar cabs too.
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatzz
Hey guys i have a problem........i'm trying to get sum current style rap vocals and all my condensers sound too smiley faced for rap vox. For old school style the lower end is okay.........but now the current artists like 50 cent and The game all seem to have a sound with less lower mids and some added upper mids.

Any ideas on which mics work?

Yea. Anything by Shure, basically.

KSM-44 would be an excellent choice. Even some of their dynamics like the SM-7 ... even the 57. They all seem to have this noticeably aggressive midrange bite to them.

Audio Technicas are all pretty much the same way. 4050, 4033, 4047, etc.
Old 18th June 2005
Gear Addict

I would say Oktava 219 or 319. It has a very unusual curve for a LDC. The presence peak is at a lower frequency than a typical LDC. It's not all fizzy, and it works well on guitar cabs. It's been described as "an SM57 on steroids."

Just make sure you get the original Russian-made mics and not the counterfeit Chinese-made mics that A&F McKay sells!!! Don't buy them from Guitar Center!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search