The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording Through a 100' Snake......???
Old 16th June 2005
Recording Through a 100' Snake......???

I'm thinking about buying a 100' horizon snake. With 16 in's. I want to have my control room away from the drum room. I'm wondering if there are any things i should look out for.... like bad signal through 100 ft.??? Any comments would be great. I just want t o know if i'll still get the same signal/quality....
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

I'd say 100 feet is about where you notice high freq. loss among other things...Do you need that much cable???
Old 16th June 2005
Here for the gear

I have been using a LiveWire snake for recording. I have a control room one level above the recording rooms, so i absolutely need it, its very very convenient and I haven had any problems at all
Old 16th June 2005
EZ is probably right but I use a 100' snake daily. I dont think I have any problems with it

I'm cutting straight to hard drive so a little high end loss might be a good thing.
I cut drums upstairs and the CR is in the basement so I have to use it.
Old 16th June 2005

The only mics you'll likely have issues with at 100 feet is ribbons. There might be the odd transformer coupled mics that get a little weird (like the SM57). You can usually fix the problem by going to a mic pre with a lower input impedance.

-tINY

Old 16th June 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioez
I'd say 100 feet is about where you notice high freq. loss among other things...Do you need that much cable???
Did you mean 100 miles?

There is no high frequency loss through 100 feet of microphone cable.
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

100 feet is just about 30m... that's not that long imo. Don't worry, record happily
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

i use a 100 ft snake with no problems at all.
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Head

100 feet won't hurt you as much as cheapo cable will. If you get a Horizon, remember that they come in several "series"....if I remember correctly the "concert series" has better specs.

I sometimes do my basic tracks (including drums) through a 75' Whirlwind and it gives me no problems at all. Seems like 100' would work fine too.
Old 16th June 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitztone
100 feet won't hurt you as much as cheapo cable will. If you get a Horizon, remember that they come in several "series"....if I remember correctly the "concert series" has better specs.

I sometimes do my basic tracks (including drums) through a 75' Whirlwind and it gives me no problems at all. Seems like 100' would work fine too.

Does it make that big of a difference if i get the "Stage Series" instead of the Concert Series???? The only big difference i can see on the websight is that the stage series has 22 gauge wire and the concert has 24 gauge.......
Old 17th June 2005
Gear Head

You can measure the difference electrically, that's for sure. The difference in resistance between 22g and 24g over 100 feet is measurable. There is also a capacitive component of impedence, and the difference is measurable for longish cable lengths.

Remember I said you can measure it electrically. Can you hear the difference? Well, you'd have to listen for yourself. And then if you do hear a difference, you hafta' decide for yourself whether the it's worth the extra money.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search