The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
HEAR technologies
Old 15th June 2005
Village Idiot

Old 15th June 2005
Gear Head

Hi Gustav,

I have a Hearsystem and I think its a great cuesystem.
Easy to work with even for musicians, no complaints about the soundquality, He I come from a Behringer headphone amp.....
I'm also working DAW/no mixer, setting up cuesends in Pro Tools and leave it up to the musicians what they want to hear.
I'm very happy with it.

Bart-Jan
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Head

I'm using a SPL monitor & talkback controller which has a talkback line out.
Put that in the Digi 96 I/O and route it via a aux channel in Pro Tools to the Hearback Hub. Before the SPL I used a small mixer and a cheap mic the same way.

Bart-Jan
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs
Do you know if its possible to use the ADAT into the hub, and still send a talkback to an analog input on the Dsub connector ? or does it switch from the analog to digital exclusively?
Don't think so, on the front of the Hub is a switch, either ADAT or Analog.
No problems with stability so far heh
Only thing, they feel plastic well...because they are plastic.....
But for the money ..

Bart-Jan
Old 15th June 2005
Here for the gear

Hearback

I have been using the Hearback system for a few years now and I love it. It is a great system. Dave Holland and the guys at Hear Technologies are top class folks!
Also have the Talkback system.
Old 15th June 2005
Here for the gear

Great system! I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

No system is perfect though... When I patch directly from the RADAR analog outputs, the hearback inputs sometimes distort. Also, I've had trouble on occasion with the cat5 cables, they're definitely not as rugged/durable as typical studio cables. I suppose someone probably sells some heavy duty ones, but it hasn't been a big enough problem yet to bother with.

david
www.cristobalstudios.com
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs
Is Cat5 a standard format ? (sorry for being a noob)

Gustav
Also known as LAN (TCP/IP) cable
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

I made some headphone mixers myself.

Passive , each with a 2X30W small poweramp.
8 channels, volume /pan/mastervolume/ CR talkback and a musicians talkback button.
Big knobs with a very simple layout , even my grandma can operate.
Attached Thumbnails
HEAR technologies-hp2.jpg  
Old 17th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM
Also known as LAN (TCP/IP) cable
... or Ethernet cable [cat5].
Old 12th June 2006
Here for the gear

A couple of negatives

We have used the hearback system for about a year. The system has great sound. There is alot less complaining from the bands. We like but have a few negatives about it. We purchased it online without seeing it up close so it had a few disapointing features which we didn't realise. The system has 8 inputs, 7 individual mixes and one general mix which is the mix that is also sent to the second hub. The second hub cannot isolate any of the individual mixes in the first hub. The 9 controls on each of the personal monitors can be deceiving in a picture. They are as follows: The main volume control on the bottom controls the general mix and the personal mixer level at the same time. The first volume control take 2 of the inputs which they divide into left and right. This cannot be altered. Then there are 6 other volume controls and the the last one is a limiter control so you don't blow your eardrums (we all appreciate that).
We use our hearback system for several bands and we find it very limiting. The first volume control uses 2 inputs and because they are divided left and right, none of the band members like it. Try a guitar in one ear and your voice in the other and you may understand. The general mix does not have a separate volume control so it can't be used as an individual mix. So to us there are really only 6 individual mixes not the 8 we were expecting. 4 instuments and 2 vocals and the system is maxed out.
Old 12th June 2006
Here for the gear

Hearback System

It sounds like you have the "link" button pushed in-between channels 3 & 4 which makes ch. 3 the master volume for a stereo mix. You can use ch. 3 & 4 (or any other channels besides 1 & 2) independently by deselecting the "link" button. The general mix does have it's own volume control.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart-jan
I'm using a SPL monitor & talkback controller which has a talkback line out.
Put that in the Digi 96 I/O and route it via a aux channel in Pro Tools to the Hearback Hub. Before the SPL I used a small mixer and a cheap mic the same way.
I already own the Hearback but just recently purchased the Talkback and the SPL for the same reasons you did. I like the idea of talent having a proper talkback function but the monitor controller portion of the unit is pretty weak in comparison to many of the others , like the SPL, on the market today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicnutt
It sounds like you have the "link" button pushed in-between channels 3 & 4 which makes ch. 3 the master volume for a stereo mix. You can use ch. 3 & 4 (or any other channels besides 1 & 2) independently by deselecting the "link" button. The general mix does have it's own volume control.
It sounded to me like he was talking about Channels one and two which are 'unlinkable' (is that even a word?) You just have to route things differently to get 7 mixes. I use channels one and two for the stereo drum mix and then I have 6 channels to route however I want after that.

I love the Hearback System, I have some pretty decent gear but it is one of my favourite pieces of equiptment. No more trying to guess at what everyone wants in there in headphones - mix it your own damn self!!
Old 14th June 2006
Here for the gear

Appreciate the input

Thanks for the response. We have tried several mixed for the "unlinkable" channels 1 and 2. After much discussion, our bands decided to us the 1&2 for keyboard in stereo. The "left right thing" in the ear received too many complaints. Unfortunately our drummers didn't like it either. In the end we decided the muscians get the hearback and the vocalists get a floor monitor mix. Working ok so far.
Someone said that the general mix is controlable. We messed with this system for quite awhile. I will admit to being wrong if you can explain. The general mix is in the main volume which yes you can adjust by rejusting the sound of the other mixes. However, this is a complicated procedure for many muscians and they lose their bearings over such things. I deal with several regular bands and ,on occasion, a few guest bands so I try to make is as simple as possible.

Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

A band I work for uses Hearback in a live setting. Makes it a breeze for me. I just make sure each instrument send has enough level going to the Hearback and the rest is up to them. The only problem I see is that the musicians will turn up their respective selves in their In-ears, which effects how they play their instruments. I.e: The keyboard may crank his feed and then play softer, making it extremely difficult to bring him up in the house. BTW, one channel is always a FOH mix so they can really hear the balance(through the PA at least). Cat5e cables are wimpy and need to be replace with rugged ones if you plan on plugging/unplugging a lot.
A bit off topic of studio use but another opinion at least.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicnutt
I have been using the Hearback system for a few years now and I love it. It is a great system. Dave Holland and the guys at Hear Technologies are top class folks!
+1000

Before I bought my HearBack system, I had sent a question via their website. I had a reply within 5 minutes asking for my phone number. Within 15 seconds of sending my reply w/my number, my phone rang and it was was Dave Holland on the other end. Answered all of my questions and even gave me his cell # and said, "You can give me a call anytime if you have more questions."

Now that's service. BTW, the system works great... I use it mostly with hmy band for IEM. I'd say the only shortcoming I can think of is that there's no panning at the personal mixers. Other than that, great stuff.
---
c
Old 23rd July 2006
Gear Nut

We've just bought a system after demo-ing it for a few weeks. All the clients love using it and the sound quality is excellent. It saves at lot of time setting up headphone mixes on the desk and cuts out all the whingeing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search