The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mbox, Firebox or Omega
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Head

Mbox, Firebox or Omega

Hello,

I'm looking into buying a little unit for my bedroom. I currently use logic at my band's rehearsal space but don't own a mac myself so I'll have to find a new way to record.

Which one of these posses ease of use and well as decent features:

Mbox - Has everything I need but I heard its without a click track (i need a click) also importing mp3's requires a plug-in???

Firebox - Does cubase have a click? Plug-ins don't matter much..its just demo stuff

Lexicon - Are Presonus pre's that much better at this level? Seems like best value.

Tascam U122- Cheap, uses cubase as well....

Any help would be appreciated....this is not for serious recording. I just need a unit to test out new vocal parts, work out bg vox, layer guitars etc.

The things I have to have are a click track, some kind of compressor, the ability to import and export mp3's.

Thank you.
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

Any software can have a clicktrack. Some use a metronome softsynth for it, but you can as well make a clicktrack in advance on an audio track, simply by placing some samples on a grid. It's not much work at all. Metronome plug is how i do it in Logic, making audio clicktrack is how i do it in ProTools.

About all DAW software comes with compressor plugin. ProTools LE comes with the BF76 compressor which is a bit better then most bundled DAW software compressors.

Importing and exporting mp3s isn't supported by ProTools LE, but you can always solve this by converting .mp3 from/to .wav in iTunes for example.
Old 15th June 2005
Lives for gear

The presonus is the only firewire one you mentioned. It lets you do higher sample rates and have less latency. Get the MBox if you want protools. It's not good hardware.
Old 15th June 2005
Gear Addict

For audio quality I would probably recommend the Firebox. Firewire, 96k capability, and decent preamps (I am assuming they are the same as in the Firepod).

Then again, if you are just starting out, it would be hard to pass up the Tascam US-122. For $163 dollars shipped on Ebay, I would say it is more than worth it. The converters and pres probably won't be as good as the Firebox, but I think it may be smart to start with this and save your money for something bigger and better if/when you need it.

Tyler

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search