The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Guitar Pick Up
Old 21st October 2008
  #1
Lives for gear
 
shadyru's Avatar
 

New Guitar Pick Up

I have a Gibson Les Paul and was wondering what would be the most nu metal pick up I could purchase ..EMG 81? (disturbed, breaking benjamin, paramore, etc.)
Old 21st October 2008
  #2
Lives for gear
 
DamnYankee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyru View Post
I have a Gibson Les Paul and was wondering what would be the most nu metal pick up I could purchase ..EMG 81? (disturbed, breaking benjamin, paramore, etc.)
You'll want any high output pickup however, the distortion/crunch you desire occurs primarily at distortion pedal area of the chain.
Old 22nd October 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Newcleardaze's Avatar
 

EMG 81s are nice, but they're also active, so you'll have to have a battery put somewhere... just food for thought.
Pickups do lend to the overall tone, and some are much hotter than others, so to lay the sound so much on the distortion pedal is only partly true. I'd suggest looking up some of the websites of pickup brands (Seymour Duncan, EMG, etc.)and see who endorses what, although the sound they have on a recorded album is usually done with a variety of layered amps and often various guitars with differenet pickups, but what they endorse should be what they use live to get the sound they desire.

Last edited by Newcleardaze; 22nd October 2008 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: mispelled word
Old 22nd October 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 
maxpidge's Avatar
 

nu metal, EMG 81, you ****in kids have no clue....fuuck
Old 22nd October 2008
  #5
Gear Head
 

Q-tuners: World's first neodymium guitar and bass pickups.

All other brands of pickups became extinct when Q-tuners became available.
Old 22nd October 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Newcleardaze's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpidge View Post
nu metal, EMG 81, you ****in kids have no clue....fuuck
Ignore maxpidge... he's just a troll -- look up his posts and you'll see he's rarely ever given any positive critical advice, mostly verbal barbs and behringer bashing (and boy does that take alot of guts on this forum [read sarcastic tone]).

You will find some that bash the EMG 81s. Like most things regarding tone, its a matter of personal taste. Just to quash any doubts if you choose EMG 81s, here is a list of SOME of the bands of various metal styles and sounds that use them:

Soil, Zakk Wylde, Ill Nino, Black Stone Cherrry, Dillenger Escape Plan, Nickelback, Hatebreed, Killswitch Engage, Walls of Jericho, Fear Factory, Atreyu, 5 Finger Death Punch, Overkill, Crossfade, Mudvayne, Saliva, Slayer, Soulfly, Deftones, and the list goes on.... as you can see, these bands aren't just a bunch of "kids that have no clue"

Personally I love mine. There are alot of other great pickups out there that are designed for high gain output as well.
Old 22nd October 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
 
maxpidge's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcleardaze View Post
Ignore maxpidge... he's just a troll -- look up his posts and you'll see he's rarely ever given any positive critical advice, mostly verbal barbs and behringer bashing (and boy does that take alot of guts on this forum [read sarcastic tone]).

You will find some that bash the EMG 81s. Like most things regarding tone, its a matter of personal taste. Just to quash any doubts if you choose EMG 81s, here is a list of SOME of the bands of various metal styles and sounds that use them:

Soil, Zakk Wylde, Ill Nino, Black Stone Cherrry, Dillenger Escape Plan, Nickelback, Hatebreed, Killswitch Engage, Walls of Jericho, Fear Factory, Atreyu, 5 Finger Death Punch, Overkill, Crossfade, Mudvayne, Saliva, Slayer, Soulfly, Deftones, and the list goes on.... as you can see, these bands aren't just a bunch of "kids that have no clue"

Personally I love mine. There are alot of other great pickups out there that are designed for high gain output as well.
my point was, you a$$, its called an 81, because it's been around since 1981.... hardly "NU"...
Old 22nd October 2008
  #8
Lives for gear
 
maxpidge's Avatar
 

btw, i use 85's, in the bridge, and 81's, in the neck on a few of my guitars...
Old 22nd October 2008
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Newcleardaze's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpidge View Post
my point was, you a$$, its called an 81, because it's been around since 1981.... hardly "NU"...
Your joke was hardly apparent, especially considering that in most of your posts, you are the one being an a$$. Sarcasm does not translate well in writing, so you might want to work on your word choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpidge View Post
btw, i use 85's, in the bridge, and 81's, in the neck on a few of my guitars...
Holy crap, he says something of vague worth. I personally have 81s in both neck and bridge on my strat. I wouldn't say that it gives me my ideal sounds all the way around, but its damned close to nailing about everything I'm looking for.
Old 22nd October 2008
  #10
Lives for gear
 

do not rule out gibsons alnico 490 and 498 pickups. They are VERY hot and quite loud. Pick up a Les Paul Custom, they come stock it them.
Old 22nd October 2008
  #11
Lives for gear
 

81/85 here. i play all kinds of music and they're great.
Old 22nd October 2008
  #12
Lives for gear
 
DamnYankee's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcleardaze View Post
EMG 81s are nice, but they're also active, so you'll have to have a battery put somewhere... just food for thought.
Pickups do lend to the overall tone, and some are much hotter than others, so to lay the sound so much on the distortion pedal is only partly true. I'd suggest looking up some of the websites of pickup brands (Seymour Duncan, EMG, etc.)and see who endorses what, although the sound they have on a recorded album is usually done with a variety of layered amps and often various guitars with differenet pickups, but what they endorse should be what they use live to get the sound they desire.
I stand by my statement that any HIGH OUTPUT pickup is going to sound similar when run thru metal/heavily distorted pedals. Now, if you're talking my DiMarzio Super vs my old P-90, of course they'll be night and day differences in terms of sustain, gain, etc...but the flavor will still sound similar. Now if you're talking playing thru a CLEAN channel in an amp, then yes, the differences between pickups will be much more glaring.
Old 22nd October 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Phrygian's Avatar
 

I find the pickup has a little less to do with it than lets say the amp, the down tuning of the guitar, or the combo of the two. However, if you're not looking to switch your rig around and are just looking for a pickup solution, I'd suggest the EMG 81/85 combo or the Seymour Blackouts. Keep in mind they're both active, but can bring your amps to a new level. I'm a passive pickup guy myself but I can't deny how good a guitar with EMG's (81 bridge & 85 neck) sounds through my rigs. I just could never justify fitting all my guitars with actives, and am happy with my sound, so I just stay away lol. The EMG's will also add clarity to your LP.
Old 22nd October 2008
  #14
Lives for gear
 

I'm not really a nu metal fan nad I dont know much about LPs....so I might not be much use. I play Ibanez's, and their stock p/ups are often criticised for being muddy. Is that a problem you have with your guitar?

Anyhow, if so, that's another huge benefit and thing to consider. When playing distorted you want a p/up that still allows the clarity to come through. Down tune and the more this becomes apparent.

On that note, Bare Knuckle pick ups and Lundgrens are very highly regarded and may be worth a look/read.

Good luck

Max
Old 22nd October 2008
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Vocalvoodoo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydego View Post
do not rule out gibsons alnico 490 and 498 pickups. They are VERY hot and quite loud. Pick up a Les Paul Custom, they come stock it them.
Roger that. I don't know if my 91 LP Studio has a 490 or 498 at the bridge (not sure which), but it SMOKES. I picked up a used LTD Viper-400 just for the EMG 81/85 combo (it cost the same as the 81/85 set alone) thinking it would be hotter and sound heavier than the LP. To my surprise, the LP in the bridge position is actually just as hot as the 81, if not a tad hotter. Sounds great too for really heavy tones.

Now I'm glad I did just but the 81/85's and install them in the LP.

EDIT: My LP actually has 496R/500T pups.
Old 23rd October 2008
  #16
Lives for gear
 

I'm a huge fan of Duncans and no so much EMG's. Not that EMG's aren't good p'ups, I've just never preferred them when Duncan's of a similar voicing are available. There are many Duncan's that might fit your needs. Some include the Dimebucker, Duncan Distortion and Invader. It'll probably be tough to make a decision considering you really won't get a chance to play them all through your rig but Duncan's have never failed me. I personally prefer the Duncan Distortions.
Old 23rd October 2008
  #17
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessy View Post
Q-tuners: World's first neodymium guitar and bass pickups.

All other brands of pickups became extinct when Q-tuners became available.
Those look cool. What do they sound like?
Old 23rd October 2008
  #18
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpidge View Post
my point was, you a$$, its called an 81, because it's been around since 1981.... hardly "NU"...

What the hell does when it was made have to do with it? Point is it works well for that style.


OP, I'm assuming you have a tube amp, because high output pickups would not necessarily be desirable for a solid state amp.
Old 23rd October 2008
  #19
Lives for gear
 
IntenseJim's Avatar
 

I think most pup manufacturers offer something in that style, be it Dimarzion, Duncan, EMG, Bare Knuckle, WCR, etc.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump