The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The $100 preamp
Old 4 weeks ago
Does it not depend on implementation when it comes to IC preamps? The PGA2500 is used in preamps by Prism Sound, UAD Apollo, RME and Apogee to name a few, and the way the supporting circuitry and analogue signal paths are designed by those companies makes all the difference to the sound?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Does it not depend on implementation when it comes to IC preamps? The PGA2500 is used in preamps by Prism Sound, UAD Apollo, RME and Apogee to name a few, and the way the supporting circuitry and analogue signal paths are designed by those companies makes all the difference to the sound?
Hi RichC,

Oh yes without a doubt. But you can only make the design WORSE with poor design (using wrong filtering caps, incorrect bias, etc) not better with great design.

I would imagine all those companies use PGA2500s because their design/engineering time is spent on their conversion and the system as a whole and the PGA2500 is "good enough" whilst having to spend little to no design time on a preamp. Building an entirely discrete analogue mic preamp would be considerably more effort and there is already man-years worth of effort in all those products with the A/D, USB, etc.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpmentalise View Post
Hi RichC,

Oh yes without a doubt. But you can only make the design WORSE with poor design (using wrong filtering caps, incorrect bias, etc) not better with great design.

I would imagine all those companies use PGA2500s because their design/engineering time is spent on their conversion and the system as a whole and the PGA2500 is "good enough" whilst having to spend little to no design time on a preamp. Building an entirely discrete analogue mic preamp would be considerably more effort and there is already man-years worth of effort in all those products with the A/D, USB, etc.

I see, yeah, fair point. Well, I'm interested in your discrete preamp I uploaded a voice over sample via your site to hear the effect Mojo has on my VO work and looking forward to hearing it. Ironically, that raw sample was recorded on my Prism Lyra!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I see, yeah, fair point. Well, I'm interested in your discrete preamp I uploaded a voice over sample via your site to hear the effect Mojo has on my VO work and looking forward to hearing it. Ironically, that raw sample was recorded on my Prism Lyra!
Ah cool! Thanks RichC! We will get on with "Mojo'ing" that sample for you! You'll hear from us soon
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi Rich,

I have just uploaded your Mojo-ised VO onto our google drive and shared a link with you via email.

Apologies for the delay in getting these to you - it's been a bit manic here with the racks going into production and videos/pictures/marketing stuff....excuses excuses!

Anyways, We really hope you like what you hear! - let us know what you think!

Your voice sounded very familiar btw! (is that a weird thing to say?! I don't know )

Ells

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search