The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM58 any good on toms??
Old 29th September 2008
Gear Maniac

SM58 any good on toms??

Has anyone had any luck using sm58's on toms?
Old 29th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Sure, they work in a pinch. any particular reason you want to use them though, or is it a lack of other mics?
Old 29th September 2008
Gear Maniac

budget. would love my favorite mics (421's) but don't have the cash.
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

Senn e604s work and they include mounts, so you save on mic stands. Nice clean appearance on the kit.
Old 29th September 2008
Gear Maniac

ever used the e904?
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonicBreed View Post
ever used the e904?
Nope...at that price I'm using Beyer M201s.
Old 29th September 2008
Gear Maniac

I was about to mention those mics.
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

Don't put the SM58s too close to the tom heads because of "the proximity effect" which can sound ugly with that mic/tom combo.
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was about to mention those mics.
Well hell, I don't think the MD421-II holds a candle to the M201s.

Frankly I think the "put the MD421 on toms" convention came about for two reasons:

1) No one cared if the drummer smacked them
2) They weren't good on anything else

I think those mics are among the worst ever. I do like the MD441 on somethings though (like Soviet dictators).
Old 29th September 2008
Gear Maniac

I've always been a huge beyerdynamic and sennheiser fan. If i was goingto invest 1,000+ on a good mic setup for drums i'd get a set of beyers, however that isnt the case. I lke the evolution series from senn but the 900 series is much better sounding than the 600.
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

The e604 is not a good sounding mic, but as I said, it "works."
Old 29th September 2008
Gear Maniac

I think im going to hold out for some beyers.
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think im going to hold out for some beyers.
I might check those out as well. Price point is fair. Any other good uses for the Beyer M201s?
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsmm View Post
I might check those out as well. Price point is fair. Any other good uses for the Beyer M201s?
Trying to think of something they aren't good for...

(My dynamic of choice on guitar cab, although the M88 wins on some distortions. Basically, these are the "better 57's" of legend...roll off the lows if they are too much for you.)
Old 29th September 2008
Gear Head

Quote:

57's have worked well for me in the past. Definitely a good solution in a pinch. If the drums sound good, your 58's will sound good.
Old 29th September 2008
Jai guru deva om

n/a

I would not recommend the 58 on toms, but hell Michael Wagener uses them and he's making cooler records than almost anybody on Gearslutz...!

War
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
You can hear almost every mic mentioned in this thread on toms and many other sources compared side by side at the Tuesday Testers link in my signature.
I think that's an example of the M201 telling us a bit too much about that particular tom...
Old 29th September 2008
Gear Maniac

not sure what model, but I've used the little audio technica clip on drum mics before and the sounded really good. I used to use 57's alot too.
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

you would be suprised how many people use 58's on toms.

just give it a shot.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

beyer 201 rocks on snare too
Old 29th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
beyer 201 rocks on snare too
thumbsup

absolutely !!

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 29th September 2008
Gear Nut

For my latest project I borrowed three black MD421, without the rolloff filter. They're quite old I believe.
Anyway, they sounded amazing on the two toms I used them on. (Pork pie set with quite shallow rack tom)
Really nice bottom and attack.

I also have one, just one, Beyer M201, which I frequently use on snare. But I read in this thread that it's also great on toms...hm. Maybe I should order some more M201's.
Old 30th September 2008
Lives for gear

I even use a (Beta) 58 on kick...it can do just about anything. Obviously there are better choices...but in a pinch...it will do a solid job. Don't let any Abbey Road Gurus tell you NO...you don't need U47s and Neves to make a good recording. After all this is LOW END THEORY...

Tear it up...
Old 30th September 2008
Lives for gear

Check out the CAD M179. They are fantastic tom mics and are considerably less expensive than MD421 mics. If you don't take my word check out Warren's tests.

Now as for the 58 on toms they work well if positioned properly. I can think of better mics for that application all day but hey if that's what you've got to work with they can do the job. I prefer using SM57's on most toms and maybe the 58 on floor tom (where it's slightly darker sound is more welcome). If it were me and I had that budget and didn't already have the mics I'd look into something else for sure.

And around that price a cool tom mic is the Sennheiser e609. I like them more than the e604 for around the same cost. Plus they are a lot more useful for other sources. I would do the e609 or something like SM57, Beta 57, or Beta 56 if it were me and I needed to stay in that below $200 per mic category. Otherwise I'd say go for M179, Beyer, or MD421.

Any of the Beyers work great too but then you may end up spending a couple bills.

A great drum mic is the Audix D series. The D2 and D4 are excellent on toms. Those aren't too much money. Just keep in mind they are very "modern" sounding mics. That can be beneficial in some cases while not in others.

Just some food for thought. Good luck. It took me a while to settle on the mics I'm getting for my drums. I'm going to be ordering a PR40 for kick, 3 CAD M179 for toms, 2 ATM450 for overheads, and either a PR20/PR30 for snare drum (I may stick my SM57 on snare side).
Old 30th September 2008
Lives for gear

I've used SM58's together with SM57's (because I didn't have enough 57's) on toms a number of times with great results. IIRC they're pretty much the same as the 57's, except for the pop-shield, which colors the sound a little. Some folks unscrew the pop-shield if they're short on 57's, but I've never found that necessary on toms. I use the 58's on the bigger toms.

Either way, they've worked fine for me.
Old 1st October 2008
Quote:
yes
Old 1st October 2008
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes. Michael Wagoner uses them. He recorded Kings X with 58s on the toms. Guess he is stupid.
Old 1st October 2008
TRA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsmm View Post
Don't put the SM58s too close to the tom heads because of "the proximity effect" which can sound ugly with that mic/tom combo.
Any mic that isn't omni is going to experience proximity effect.
Old 1st October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyG View Post
I even use a (Beta) 58 on kick...it can do just about anything. Obviously there are better choices...but in a pinch...it will do a solid job. Don't let any Abbey Road Gurus tell you NO...you don't need U47s and Neves to make a good recording. After all this is LOW END THEORY...

Tear it up...
Amen brother!

Put up them 58s... move 'em around till they sound right.... roll tape (or HD)... listen to 'em in context of your mix.... do they sound good? If yes... why not use 'em
Old 1st October 2008

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search