The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steinberg CSX mr816
Old 26th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Kessler View Post
How would you say the 2 compare? Been thinking of upgrading to the SSL.
I think they are both very good choices. Can't really say which one I like more. You can make great records with either one.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Gearslutz App
Old 2nd August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Had my MR816 for over a year now, maybe longer I've lost track, could even be two years you know how time flies... anyway just to say I am still very happy with it's sound and usage with Cubase. I do use Quick Connect all the time, instinctively now. Didn't buy it for that though, I bought it for the great sound for the price
Old 25th October 2012 | Show parent
Sodium, a late response here, and slightly off topic, but as a Nashville based (Brentwood, actually) based songwriter/producer myself I SALUTE you for your awesome PRESENTATION of this song. Eminently listenable, with as fine a vocal sound and soundstage for her as you could want. The live quality is a +. Most importantly, the song gets it's due.
Great work.
BTW, I have owned an MR816CSX since the first week it was out, discounted courtesy of my friends at Steinberg. I would have gladly paid full price.
I do hear a slight alteration of audio when using a 3rd party pre in a channel (padded, volume all the way down) but at least I'm still balanced, so no real level problems.
Old 25th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAWriter View Post
padded, volume all the way down
Then the gain is -6 dB. You should rather set the gain to 0 dB (9 oclock ? ).
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAWriter View Post
Sodium, a late response here, and slightly off topic, but as a Nashville based (Brentwood, actually) based songwriter/producer myself I SALUTE you for your awesome PRESENTATION of this song. Eminently listenable, with as fine a vocal sound and soundstage for her as you could want. The live quality is a +. Most importantly, the song gets it's due.
Great work.
BTW, I have owned an MR816CSX since the first week it was out, discounted courtesy of my friends at Steinberg. I would have gladly paid full price.
I do hear a slight alteration of audio when using a 3rd party pre in a channel (padded, volume all the way down) but at least I'm still balanced, so no real level problems.
Thanks so much for the kind comments!

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear
I currently have an RME Fireface 800 and want to add 8 nice pres which I can bring in through Adat. Perhaps the MR816X in standalone mode might do the trick. I also own a Digimax FS 8 channel mic pre. I have also considered the Audient ASP008 which is a lot more money than the MR816, but it would allow me to record at 96 Khz compared to the MR816 at 48 Khz.

When used in standalone mode do the individual volume knobs still work for each input channel? If not, do you just adjust the volume through software? If you are just using software for adjusting volume are the pres set at 100% volume level, and if so, does this cause noise issues from the pres?

Thanks.
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcprod View Post
I currently have an RME Fireface 800 and want to add 8 nice pres which I can bring in through Adat. Perhaps the MR816X in standalone mode might do the trick. I also own a Digimax FS 8 channel mic pre. I have also considered the Audient ASP008 which is a lot more money than the MR816, but it would allow me to record at 96 Khz compared to the MR816 at 48 Khz.

When used in standalone mode do the individual volume knobs still work for each input channel? If not, do you just adjust the volume through software? If you are just using software for adjusting volume are the pres set at 100% volume level, and if so, does this cause noise issues from the pres?

Thanks.
The 816 works at 96k. There is no way to control the mic pre gain from any software that I am aware of. You always have to adjust the gain with the knobs for each individual channel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Old 8th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodium glow View Post
The 816 works at 96k. There is no way to control the mic pre gain from any software that I am aware of. You always have to adjust the gain with the knobs for each individual channel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
From reading the manual it looks as though you can use 4 channels of Adat at 88.2/96 Khz, or 8 channels at 44.1/48 Khz. Regarding the volume controls, have you tried using the volume controls for each channel when the unit is in standalone mode? (not connected to a computer through Firewire) Thought I had read somewhere that one would have to set the volume levels using the MR816X control software while it is connect to a computer through firewire, disconnect it and then hook it up to the Fireface 800 using the adat output. The individual volume for each channel would then be controlled through the Fireface 800 mixer software.
Old 8th January 2013
Lives for gear

The channel count limitation isn't a specific Steinberg/MR-series thing. A single ADAT connection can only carry 4 channels at the higher sample rates (88.2/96) or two channels if you go even higher (176.4/192).
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcprod View Post
From reading the manual it looks as though you can use 4 channels of Adat at 88.2/96 Khz, or 8 channels at 44.1/48 Khz. Regarding the volume controls, have you tried using the volume controls for each channel when the unit is in standalone mode? (not connected to a computer through Firewire) Thought I had read somewhere that one would have to set the volume levels using the MR816X control software while it is connect to a computer through firewire, disconnect it and then hook it up to the Fireface 800 using the adat output. The individual volume for each channel would then be controlled through the Fireface 800 mixer software.
When you say "volume controls" I assume you mean the pre amp gain controls?

And yes, I use it often connected via lightpipe only. There are no digital controls for the pre amps. Only the knobs on the face of the unit can adjust input gain for the individual channels.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Old 23rd May 2013
Lives for gear

What about running balanced high end external preamps / gear through those onboard preamps? I do hate the idea, but does it really make a noticeable sound difference vs a line level input like on an RME? Onboard preamps seem almost unavoidable on multi-channel converters these days!

Yes, I know that I have the option to use the insert on channel 1+ 2 with an unbalanced connection to bypass the pres, but what about the others?
Old 24th May 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User
The preamps I've owned have all been "middle of the road" preamps. I've owned the MR816csx for a little over 2 months. I can definitely tell the difference between say my Eureka and my GAP73 and the built in mic preamps.

I mean if I plug in to the line input and pad with volume all the way down I hear no real coloration. I can't speak for every preamp, BUT, it's negligible in my opinion.

PLUS, the preamps are quite smooth on the CSX, not tons of detail, but smooth and weighty in the bottom end. I'd happily use them with the right mic choices.
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

You wont hear a difference..
Engage the pad and get busy
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks guys! I think that I am going with a nice 4 channel mixer so that I can patch in different outboard gear and have the option to route the bulk of my tracking through the Channel 1 + 2 inserts on the MR816x, so tracking through the preamps would only be an issue during heavier multi-tracking. Of course that is assuming that the inserts sound better than just engaging the pad with no gain... I have heard mixed opinions.
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

No way to bypass even with inserts.
Mixer is a waste of cash chief.
Dont stress it.
I was concerned about this when I got mine. Once I actually tried it, my concerns went away.
Old 24th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides View Post
No way to bypass even with inserts.
Mixer is a waste of cash chief.
Dont stress it.
I was concerned about this when I got mine. Once I actually tried it, my concerns went away.
Thanks for the feedback guys! That helps a ton on the interface struggle.

I am still contemplating adding that mixer though... It would give me 4 pres, 4 EQ channels, desktop level monitoring, easy access / flexible routing to outboard gear, and the ability to patch in outboard effects on a few individual channels during stereo mix down.

The ATB's don't seem to have the best reputation for reliability from what I am reading though...
Old 26th May 2013
Lives for gear

Anybody using the MR with the new imac?
Old 26th October 2013
Here for the gear

Hello all -

Sorry to revive an old thread, but my questions are simple and it's probably not worth starting a new thread over them.

My current setup:
iMac
Echo AudioFire8 interface
FMR RNP preamp
Cubase

My recording is all acoustic instruments and vocals, tracked 2 channels per take, through the RNP preamp into the line in of the AudioFire8.

I'm thinking about hunting down a used Steinberg MR816x or MR816csx. My reasons for the switch are:
- better integration with Cubase (although hardly any problems right now with AudioFire8)
- improved A/D conversion
- high-quality mic preamps on the MR816

My questions:

I like the RNP preamps. Are the built-in pres on the 816 better/worse/roughly equal ??

For someone who does acoustic only recording, are there any advantages to the built-in (hardware) channel strips on the "csx" version, vis-a-vis the "x" ??

Thanks,
- John
Old 26th October 2013
Here for the gear

Sorry, duplicate post (removed)
Old 26th October 2013
Gear Addict

I have the same setup. Since owning the MR816csx, I haven't found the need to use my RNPs. The important variables are room, mics. The Yamaha pres are absolutely fine.
Old 27th October 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
I think that'll be a sideways move if anything. I had the MR816 and it sounds good, but when I ran DAV pres into it it was a noticeable improvement (I was also doing acoustic music). I don't think it will sound any better than your RNP into the Echo.

If you want a step up in quality and you're doing only two channels at a time, I would highly recommend either the Sound Devices USBPre2 or Metric Halo ULN-2.
📝 Reply