The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
motu 2408 mk2 standalone Audio Interfaces
Old 5th September 2008
Here for the gear

motu 2408 mk2 standalone

Hey there. Does anyone know how to get a MOTU 2408 mk2 to function as a standalone A/D converter (analog to ADAT). I was able to get my newly-acquired one to do D/A but not the other way around. I'm trying to connect it to a Digi 002.

The sound is coming from the headphone jack and metering properly so it's definitely getting to the unit. I just can't figure out how to tell it to route out through the ADAT port. And, since MOTU is awesome enough to not make their manuals available online, there is a paucity of available info on the subject. I also don't really want to spend more money on a manual if it turns out it's not going to work.

Any help would be great, as getting a PCI controller card is not an option (someone recently broke into my apartment and stole my Mac Pro...bastids.)
Old 6th September 2008
Lives for gear

Sardonic_z,

I've got the mk3 book here, but looking at a picture of the mk2 panel, it looks like they kept it about the same:

The mode & select buttons make the settings (on a mk3 they're select and set). You'll use one to flip through the different meter/clock/bounce or source setting modes and the other to change the settings in that area. The panel lights will only display the status for one mode at a time. Likewise, you can't change settings in one mode while you're in a different one.

Assuming you're using the MOTU as master clock, first make sure "clock" is defaulted to "int" by flipping select enough times to get the "clock" light lit, and seeing which light in the row of clock sources is on (Int,48,44,etc.). I think it also rolls through the sample rate settings if it's on its own clock, so you may need to get int and 48 or 44.1 lit depending on which rate you want. Mine flashes some lights when there's no available external clock, so once it's on "int", you should have solid lights as it's using its own clock.

Other than that, it sounds like it automatically maps all 8 analog ins to all the available outputs of bank A,B,&C on a 1 to 1 thing (Analog 1,2,3... should go to ADAT 1,2,3... on any bank's ADAT out). Make sure whatever's picking that up is set for ADAT optical clock if you're not running extra clock lines. If S/PDIF out stays active in stand alone, I would guess that is assigned to the 1&2 outputs that the banks are getting.

The settings in that "bounce" page are sort of funky. If you put it in bounce mode, the channels are no longer mapped 1 to 1. The first four options will bump the inputs back by two channels at a time (3&4 will go to outputs 1&2, 5&6 to 3&4,etc.). When they get to the bottom they loop around, so 1&2 in the last case would go out on 7&8. That last thing, as its label implies, swaps the channels within each pair, so 1&2 would go to outputs 2&1,etc. This book sounds like you can use the bounce & swap functions simultaneously, so make sure you don't have more than one light on in that row if you're not trying to.

Hope that helps (and hope it's accurate heh),

George
Old 8th September 2008
Here for the gear

thanks..

that's what I assumed about the automatic mapping. guess I'll just have to check my routing and try again.
Old 8th September 2008
Here for the gear

yes, you were right. turns out I had initially done something funky
with the digital I/O routing from PT.

Everything is working perfectly now. Thanks!
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Guru

Great. I used to use the 2408mkII in stand alone a lot. It works great.
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

I just picked up a 2408 with the intention of using it as a standalone A/D D/A addition to my setup. It appears I can only get it to map the analog in's to ADAT outputs. Was I wrong in thinking it has the ability to be bidirectional as a standalone unit?

I was hoping to use it for more hardware inserts. This requires both in&out's to map.
Old 5th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythminmind View Post
I just picked up a 2408 with the intention of using it as a standalone A/D D/A addition to my setup. It appears I can only get it to map the analog in's to ADAT outputs. Was I wrong in thinking it has the ability to be bidirectional as a standalone unit?

I was hoping to use it for more hardware inserts. This requires both in&out's to map.
Do you mean you want the analogue inputs to route to ADAT outputs and the ADAT inputs to route to the analogue outputs at the same time?

According to my manual, you have to choose the input source when in stand alone mode. That means you can have ADAT in as the source and it will route to the analogue outputs, or you can choose analogue in and it will route to the ADAT outputs..but the unit won't do both at the same time.
Old 21st February 2011
Here for the gear

I'm thinking of the 2408 mk2 with my digi 002 as well,
Were you able to route all 8 analog inputs to bank a optical output?
I was thinking of getting the tascam cable that has 1/4" and not bother with the analog inputs .....

It is what it is
Old 21st February 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadiumdrive View Post
I'm thinking of the 2408 mk2 with my digi 002 as well,
Were you able to route all 8 analog inputs to bank a optical output?
I was thinking of getting the tascam cable that has 1/4" and not bother with the analog inputs .....

It is what it is
Yep.
Old 21st February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardonic_z View Post
.... I also don't really want to spend more money on a manual if it turns out it's not going to work.
MOTU gets my vote for being the most anal retentive company I've ever owned a product from. I bought my 2408 used, and wanted to buy a manual, so I called them up and they refused to sell it to me because I wasn't the original owner of the device. You'd think this thing launches ICBM's or something with their smitten attitude.

In case no one else has mentioned it, either synch the word clock (it won't take it from a TDIF cable), or use the internal clock.
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

Hi, looking at a second-hand 2408 mk1 as a cheaper option to the Behringer ADA8000. I understand that the Behringer unit gets favourable reviews, and handles 24-bit A/D and D/A conversion, where the 2408 mk1 only handles 20-bit A/D I believe, resulting in a quoted SNR of 96dB.

My main question is whether the 2408 can route it's Inputs to ADAT Out -and- route it's ADAT In to it's Outputs -at the same time-?
Believe that this is possible / the default behaviour for the Behringer unit.

Also, in order to enable Inputs to ADAT Out, I believe that I need to use the Motu software - is there no way to perform this on the unit's front panel?

I have a TC Electronic Konnekt 48 Studio audio interface, lovely unit, just need more I/O, so ADAT is the 'natural' choice. I've gotta look to see if a Patchbay would fulfill my needs too - I don't _need_ to record lots of devices at the same time, just want to connect-and-forget...

There are other options, including an RME HDSP Multiface with PCI card, coming in at twice the price of the Behringer... Lovely unit, isn't it?!
I'd have no use for the Mic Pre's in the Behringer - all my signals would be line-level - guitars + effect pedals go thru a DI, and the four mic inputs on the Konnekt has me covered for mics.

Any other obvious and reasonably-priced units out there that I'm obviously missing?

Finally, those units with SPDIF I/O (the Motu and RME units) - do these become 'available' when slaved to a Konnekt via ADAT??

Sorry this is so long! First post here...
Old 21st September 2011
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

All inputs on the 2408 are routed to the ADAT outputs simultaneously.
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZsound View Post
All inputs on the 2408 are routed to the ADAT outputs simultaneously.
Thank you for replying...

And all ADAT Inputs are routed to the physical Outputs, at the same time as the physical Inputs are routed to the ADAT Ouputs, creating a Bi-Directional ADAT I/O extender interface?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Eanna-

Sorry can't answer any of the i/o questions on that unit (hope someone else here can), but from all I used to read about that 1st generation box with the RCA jacks, I'd probably only go for that if it was real cheap. Should be at least a couple other old ones to look at in 2011 like the Alesis AI-3 or an SM Pro Audio. The full MOTU mkII rig with the 324 card probably isn't even worth much now. That Behringer box IMHO is well worth a few extra bucks, plus you get a batch of usable mic pres all in one unit if you change your mind on needing any. I used to keep an ADA in the tracking room for some drum mics, which also fed all the headphone mixes there. Kept it close to the source(s) and allowed me to run just two skimpy little optical lines back to the control room.

Take Care
Old 21st September 2011
Here for the gear

Thank you Jidis.

Good point, even if I don't need the mic pre's in the ADA8k now, I may do so in future. Why design myself out of that eventuality?

I've found another oldish thread that lists other options.
Low budget AD/DA
Being an oldish thread, means that the units mentioned may be available on the second-hand market.
Damn, I'm such a cheapskate....

Anyone try to use SPDIF I/O on AD/DA units when slaved over ADAT? Would you expect them to work, or would that be unit-specific behaviour??

@NEWTON: Thanks too for the ref to the Frontier Design Tango on ebay. Being in Ireland, I imagine shipping would be expensive, as would duty payable... I will keep it in mind...

Hey, this has been a really positive experience! I feel like I've walked into a bar, full of people who look like me, walk like me, talk like me...
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eanna View Post
Thank you for replying...

And all ADAT Inputs are routed to the physical Outputs, at the same time as the physical Inputs are routed to the ADAT Ouputs, creating a Bi-Directional ADAT I/O extender interface?
I don't know what you mean by "physical inputs"..

The 2408 has analogue inputs and ADAT/TDIF inputs and it has analogue outputs and ADAT/TDIF outputs.. all inputs and outputs are "physical".

The ADAT outputs are driven with the analogue outputs. The ADAT inputs are output at the other two remaining ADAT banks and the analogue outputs simultaneously.

I would look for a 2408 MKII if it was up to me. That's what I use with my Soundcraft digital mixer and it works quite well.
Old 29th November 2011
Here for the gear

For whomever following up - I got a Presonus Digimax FS. Fabulous unit. Same DICE chip (from TC Electronic) used in my Konnekt interface, so Adat sync is immediate and jitter-free, and can do 8 channels at 96k I/O by dual s-mux. Has 8 quality Preamps, 8 analog outputs, and 8 insert points. Got a patchbay to accompany it - they're best of friends now. Recommended!
Old 20th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Great. I used to use the 2408mkII in stand alone a lot. It works great.
Hi Henry, but it's either A to D or D to A right? In standalone mode you can't do both at once?

Cheers, Peter
Old 7th May 2012
Here for the gear

2408 Standalone

Thanks Jidis- I followed your instructions for Standalone operation with the select and Set buttons on the right of my 2408 MKII and now have All 8 Analog Inputs talking to my 002
Just saved me 100 euros on an Alesis AI-3
Keep Rockin
Old 14th May 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmarten View Post
Thanks Jidis- I followed your instructions for Standalone operation with the select and Set buttons on the right of my 2408 MKII and now have All 8 Analog Inputs talking to my 002
Just saved me 100 euros on an Alesis AI-3
Keep Rockin
Do you use the motu for D/A or A/D in standalone? I've just started using it as a standalone convertor after many years of integrated use with the motu PCI card. I've always been able to do A/D and D/A simultaneously but in standalone it looks like it's either A/D or D/A. Not simultaneously. Am I right? Anyone care to elaborate?
Thanks - Peter
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear Nut
is the AD on the 2408 better than that on a digi002?
why are guys buying up old 2408 mk1s?
Old 2nd July 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchless35 View Post
is the AD on the 2408 better than that on a digi002?
why are guys buying up old 2408 mk1s?
mk1 is probably piece of ****, rca inputs, 20bit dac

i have 3x mk2 as adat converters
but quality of analog to digital conversion is not spectacular

noise floor at level of 90db, while my 828mk3 has about 100db!

and no matter if you switch level +4 or -10db, every time -90 is the max
probably op amps are very cheap and generates too much noise

so i think that 2408 mk1 must be almost useless
Old 2nd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin78 View Post
and no matter if you switch level +4 or -10db, every time -90 is the max
probably op amps are very cheap and generates too much noise

so i think that 2408 mk1 must be almost useless
Is the mic/line output noise floor of the sources your recording below -90?
Old 24th February 2015
Here for the gear

So can anyone tell us if it is possible to route the analogue inputs to ADAT outputs and the ADAT inputs to the analogue outputs at the same time?
Old 9th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafuqwhocares View Post
So can anyone tell us if it is possible to route the analogue inputs to ADAT outputs and the ADAT inputs to the analogue outputs at the same time?
I know you've revived an old thread but did you ever get a straight answer on in and out through Adat at the same time?
Old 31st March 2018
Here for the gear
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZsound View Post
According to my manual, you have to choose the input source when in stand alone mode. That means you can have ADAT in as the source and it will route to the analogue outputs, or you can choose analogue in and it will route to the ADAT outputs..but the unit won't do both at the same time.

Can someone provide a scanned version manual?
Old 2nd April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsnet View Post

Can someone provide a scanned version manual?
MOTU probably still has it for download. You have to dig through the Support section for the legacy stuff but I would imagine they do. I wish I would've known these worked standalone without the PCI card. I bought a Behringer ADA8200 last year to max out the I/O on my MOTU 828MK2 but I would've rather have just had another 8 line inputs instead of being stuck with line inputs that also go through the Behringers preamps. Probably would've been pocket change too, especially without the card. Maybe Ill still pick one up and just hook up the Behingers analog outs to the patchbay and when I need preamps instead of line inputs Ill just patch those into the 828 or 2408.
Old 2nd April 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
MOTU probably still has it for download. You have to dig through the Support section for the legacy stuff but I would imagine they do. I wish I would've known these worked standalone without the PCI card. I bought a Behringer ADA8200 last year to max out the I/O on my MOTU 828MK2 but I would've rather have just had another 8 line inputs instead of being stuck with line inputs that also go through the Behringers preamps. Probably would've been pocket change too, especially without the card. Maybe Ill still pick one up and just hook up the Behingers analog outs to the patchbay and when I need preamps instead of line inputs Ill just patch those into the 828 or 2408.
It is very useful as a standalone machine indeed! I would like to add more ins and outs and wonder what to buy for that (ADAT).

From what I have read on several threads, the pdf manual is not provided by MOTU, and they make you pay for the hard copy, when they are keen enough to seel it to you. I found a PDF version but in German.
Old 2nd April 2018
Yeah I just looked at the MK2 and it isn't the 2408 I thought it was hehe. I thought the MK2 came out alongside the 828MK2 but that was the MK3. The MK2 still has the older standard flat faced rack enclosure like the original one. That one Im guessing came out around the time the original 828 did (which also the older plain style enclosure). That was before MOTU made PDFs available and they used to charge you like $15 for a hardcopy. Id just get the MK3 which came out with the 828MK2 I have. That generation was when MOTU started really taking off. I just glanced through the manual and it looks like it'll do what you want it to do. I wouldn't want any of the older MOTU interfaces now. They were rad at the time, but the generation of interfaces when the MK3 came out were definitely a step up (I had the 828 and sold it to buy the 828mk2 the day the store got it). Its still pretty cheap and the front panel CueMix knobs make the setup so much easier without a computer attached to them and the converters, while not as great as later or the current lineup, are way better than the previous generation.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search