The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mackie Onyx "Perkins" EQ
Old 7th April 2005
Gear Nut

Mackie Onyx "Perkins" EQ

Can anyone give a rundown of how the new Perkins eq sounds on the Mackie Onyx boards. Is it say, better then the eq of the soundcraft ghost?
Old 7th April 2005
Jai guru deva om

I don't own a Ghost, but I've been using one of our Onyx boards for a little while now. The EQ is indeed nice, has a fairly wide Q (which can be a strength but not if you need to get surgical) and can do some pretty extreme stuff. It's a quiet circuit, set flat and switched in there's no real discernable difference in sound. Of course, the EQ can be bypassed as well.

Hope this helps.

War
Old 7th April 2005

I haven't played with the ghost, but one of the better EQ's I've used on a board is the Europa-style on Soundcrafts. It has variable HPF, high and low shelves and two swept mids with a High/Low Q switch. Very useful EQ!

Doesn't the Ghost have High an low shelving filters and two fully parametric bands? I would think that would be more useful than the Cal Perkins budget design, and I'd be surprised if it had any bad habits with the soundcraft name on it.

-tINY

Old 7th April 2005

But, then, the Ghost costs more than 2x per channel what the Onyx does and isn't available in less than 24 channel format...

-tINY

Old 11th June 2019
Here for the gear

The Cal Perkins EQ's are fabulous! They're not NEVE or SSL or even Joe Meek - but they're fabulous!!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I bet the Carl Perkins EQ's are even better!
Chris

P.S. Welcome to GS.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search