The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
T.Bone MICSCREEN (reflexion filter copy) MIDI Processors
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

T.Bone MICSCREEN (reflexion filter copy)

Hi,

Has anyone checked out or tried the new T.Bone Micscreen? It is an SE Reflexion filter type device bu costs £75!!!

THE T.BONE MICSCREEN - U.K. International Cyberstore
Old 29th August 2008
It does look interesting. IMO this is what these things should cost anyway.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.Vega III View Post
It does look interesting. IMO this is what these things should cost anyway.
Yeah I agree!
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S.Vega III View Post
It does look interesting.
I'm not so sure. The first impression I get is 'bass buildup'. You'd need to move in very close or risk the danger of a severly band-passed sound and that could be problematic with a condensor mic.

Also consider that a vocalist would need to 'hide' behind the screen and so eye contact wouldn't be possible.

I'd be more interested in a 'reverse' shield: Keeping the (guide) vocals out of the drum OHs and other room mics. Something like a Plexi shield that would cover not only the mic but a wider angle including the 'protection field' of the singer.
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

As long as it has some heavy rubber type stuff in it, like the reflexion filter does, it should work fine..
Surely someone here has bought one?
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Talking I don't own one, but I built one!

And regarding the bass buildup issue, this is two fold.

First off, the deeper into the filter the mic is, the more bass buildup there will be. So this might be better for a further away vocal.

Second, if the mic is further out of the filter like the picture on T.Bone's site then there will be less bass buildup, more natural and intimate with some real bass and the vocalist can move closer since the reflection will pass the mic into the filter.

Of course the presence of gobos behind the vocalist and also a set of gobos or an acoustic shield behind the mic filter will more deaden the vocals you get.

I built mine for free and I'm loving it.

All you need is a milk crate, a piece of wood like an old yard stick and some screws, an old blanket and voila!

If there were attachments enabled I would post pictures of it in action.

But I've done A/B and its a huge difference, especially in the mix.

Peace
Illumination
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
If there were attachments enabled I would post pictures of it in action.
Please do that as soon as the attachements work again. I'm very curious about that design. Thanks!
Old 30th August 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Here ya go! Check out my pics!

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/3290115-post1.html

All you do is cut one of the legs off the milk crate so for starters you have the already open side (the part the milk goes in) facing you. Then you cut one of the walls/legs out of the crate so that theres a bottom opening (where the mic slides into place) as well as the "mouth" of the milk crate.

I cut out the leg with a hacksaw blade.

The rest is drilling holes in the milkcrate and attaching the wood so you can mount it.

I used duct tape to mount it to the mic stand.

The soundproofing so to speak is a Uhaul moving blanket. I just wrapped it so it would fit into the milkcrate and used some spare pieces of wood strips to force fit it into place.

As I said before I will be cutting OC703 to size, but for the average person this will make a huge difference in a captured vocal due to how much it absorbs or blocks in room reflections.

Peace
Illumination
Old 31st August 2008
Lives for gear

Interesting I had the SE and it was nothing as CRAP.
Do not expect to much from such little helpers.

But for 90 Euros try it.
You will have some comp filtering with it...and it wont kill the answer of the room totally like they advert it.!!!!

In some adverts they say it is a replacement for a cabin.dfegad

By the way take a big pillow hang it between two mic stands behind the mic and sing into it is in MIO much cheaper and much better!!!
Or build a mobile dope trap and make a singing corner is even 90 Euros but it will be dead dry 100% I bet you will be happy.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

I ordered one of these yesterday! Will let you know how I get on!
Old 17th September 2008
Gear Addict

Terry Manning tried one of the original reflectors that this is cloned after, and he said that it did strange things to the sound and will never use it.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Terry Manning tried one of the original reflectors that this is cloned after, and he said that it did strange things to the sound and will never use it.
As I wrote it ads comb filtering to the sound and that is the reason why you should not buy it.

It is nothing as a big marketing hype.

If you want to get a good recording do not use it!!!
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

Comb filtering no matter where the mic was placed???

Just curious because I thought you only accomplished comb filtering when the mic was pushed back into the filter.

Which would be the same as blocking one side of the mic with acoustic material.

But further out, I don't notice any comb filtering and A/B samples show me that all I'm doing is blocking reflections.

Please explain how you used the filter. Distance into it etc...

Peace
Illumination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
As I wrote it ads comb filtering to the sound and that is the reason why you should not buy it.

Old 18th September 2008
Lives for gear

Hey,

I'm hopping into this thread as well cos I consider buying one of these things.
I'm having another thread running in the acoustics subforum, where I explain my situation:

Ultratiny home studio - acoustics noob!

Wondering if it's better to leave it naked as it is and get a Reflection Filter, or treat it. Btw, I might have a new flat within the next 12 months, so things are quite unclear here.
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

The MicScreen arrived today!

I've just unpacked it and assembled it on my mic stand. It was pretty easy to piece together though the instructions could of done with a little more detail.
One thing I was surprised at was it is pretty light and works well on one of my very average mic stands!
The build quality seems ok (though I suspect it is a little higher on the SE Reflexion Filter).

On first impressions everything seems to work well and have had no problems.
I'm really looking forward to putting it through it's paces over the next few weeks to see how it performs. Will let you know how I get on!
Old 19th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Just curious because I thought you only accomplished comb filtering when the mic was pushed back into the filter.

Which would be the same as blocking one side of the mic with acoustic material.

But further out, I don't notice any comb filtering and A/B samples show me that all I'm doing is blocking reflections.

Please explain how you used the filter. Distance into it etc...

Peace
Illumination
I used the SE as the manual told me.
Both deep in and outside the filter tock away just a little bit of the room but have not done wonders. Yes the voice of the singer sounded very diffrent with the filter as without. But I may have to say that I used a high quality microphone by Microtec Gefell apart of Neumann.

In my opinion there is no equivalent for a good sounding room.
Or just to have dead try a cabin for the singer.

But if you love to hear AIR on your recording treat your room the filter wont help you!!!
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
The MicScreen arrived today!

I've just unpacked it and assembled it on my mic stand. It was pretty easy to piece together though the instructions could of done with a little more detail.
One thing I was surprised at was it is pretty light and works well on one of my very average mic stands!
The build quality seems ok (though I suspect it is a little higher on the SE Reflexion Filter).

On first impressions everything seems to work well and have had no problems.
I'm really looking forward to putting it through it's paces over the next few weeks to see how it performs. Will let you know how I get on!

And ? Is it much better with the Mic.screen ?
Old 25th September 2008
Lives for gear

whenever I see videoclips of cool bands, singers, rappers whatever during an album production.....it´s mostly in the middle of a nice BIG recording room!

anyone saw the KEANE DVD?? Brauner VMA right in the back of the CR of the "Magic Shop NY" ....any engineer would´ve freaked out, how he fondled with the mic-stand...but cool performance!!

sometimes surrounded by a bunch of gobos, sometimes not even that....no bass or low-mid build-up, no boxy sound, because they´re not standing in a "box" and the room probably has proper acoustic design & appropriate basstrapping

I think the sE Reflexion Filter is a good example of industry hype for low budget & bedroom studios....nothing like that is ever required in proper built recording studio!!
it´s thing that has come up with "homerecording"!!

If budget is small & the room sounds like **** SM7/RE20/PR40 into a nice pre - DONE

else

1) use the appropriate MIC

2) treat your recording room (maybe add some nice gobos)

3) make the room sound usable with the reverb you add!!

some absolute over the top example of this...check out the room sound and the reverb in her cans:

DISCLAIMER: WARNING WARNING WARNING !!!
video clip contains a performance by Celine Dion, if you like death metal and feel easily offended by cheesy pop melodies and/or lush 3-4 sec. 480L reverb clouds PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON THAT LINK....or ask your mummy first!

YouTube - Celine Dion Recording The Song "The Reason I Go On"

YouTube - Celine Dion - The Reason (The Sessions)
Old 28th September 2008
Lives for gear

I've seen a picture in the drum setup thread where someone uses a filter to keep high frequencies out of the kick out microphone and to get more hi-hat vs rest of kist separation.

I have a friend with two of the sE one's, will try them out for this purpose next time.

Also wondering about the difference between the tBone and sE.

Herwig
Old 30th September 2008
Lives for gear

Selling a SE Reflexion Filter if anyone is interested...

On ebay:
eBay Seller: taco7: Electronics, Musical Instruments items on eBay.com
Old 30th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post

So true!
The first time I saw one at GC, I tried it out was was surprised at how much reflection was being bounced back toward the mic by that POS. You'd be better off with a blanket draped over your head. Then I saw the price and just started to laugh... heh
Old 30th September 2008
Gear Maniac

Mine arrived a few days ago

Would seriously recommend you not to waste your money (even if it is only 100 Euros)

(1) This thing is NOT a Reflexion Filter: It is nothing more than a single peice of foam glued to a peice of aluminium with holes in it. The reflexion filter has several other layers in it, all acoustically designed to make it filter out several frequencies.

This thing is designed merely to look like the reflexion filter and get idiots like me to buy it thinking they're getting a bargain. Acoustically speaking, It is only a peice of cheap foam - youd be better off with a duvet on a mic stand, or some peices of foam glues to cardboard, or whatever.

It reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where at Itchy and Scratchy Land, the robot mouse opens his head and Marge points out all the microchips inside: "See that stuff in there Homer? Thats why the robot you built didnt work."

(2) It makes no discernable difference to the sound that I can tell, still plenty of echoes from the room going on, except with a slight "boxiness" like your singing into a cardboard box.

(3) The attachment to fix it to a mic stand is un-neccessarily fiddly, and a pain in the arse to use: If you're recording on your own, you'll probably only ever be arsed using it for laying down a vocal: If like me, youve got a guitar in one hand, a mic cable wrapped around your head, and you've just spilled a cup off coffee over your wa-wa pedal with your arse, the last thing you could be ****ed doing is dissambling this beast and fixing it up to mic a cab or record an acoustic.
Old 30th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbrother View Post
Would seriously recommend you not to waste your money (even if it is only 100 Euros)

(1) This thing is NOT a Reflexion Filter: It is nothing more than a single peice of foam glued to a peice of aluminium with holes in it. The reflexion filter has several other layers in it, all acoustically designed to make it filter out several frequencies.

This thing is designed merely to look like the reflexion filter and get idiots like me to buy it thinking they're getting a bargain. Acoustically speaking, It is only a peice of cheap foam - youd be better off with a duvet on a mic stand, or some peices of foam glues to cardboard, or whatever.

It reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where at Itchy and Scratchy Land, the robot mouse opens his head and Marge points out all the microchips inside: "See that stuff in there Homer? Thats why the robot you built didnt work."

(2) It makes no discernable difference to the sound that I can tell, still plenty of echoes from the room going on, except with a slight "boxiness" like your singing into a cardboard box.

(3) The attachment to fix it to a mic stand is un-neccessarily fiddly, and a pain in the arse to use: If you're recording on your own, you'll probably only ever be arsed using it for laying down a vocal: If like me, youve got a guitar in one hand, a mic cable wrapped around your head, and you've just spilled a cup off coffee over your wa-wa pedal with your arse, the last thing you could be ****ed doing is dissambling this beast and fixing it up to mic a cab or record an acoustic.

Cheers for the heads up
Old 2nd February 2010
Here for the gear

Angry t.bone micscreen

I just ordered it, FML... is it really that bad? cant you set up some blankets around it as well to help?
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

My advise is to go read about acoustic treatment. You'll discover within about 3 minutes why this thing is not gonna work.
Old 2nd February 2010
Here for the gear

Yeah I just cancelled the order and got the SE Electronics Reflexion Filter.... thanks for the help man
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

A US vendor of microphone accesories sent me (actually, I purchased) one of the knock-off "reflexion filter". My initial response, before even hearing it, was "you've got to be kidding me". The mechanical assembly was not thought through and it was very flimsy on the mic stand - which it made very top heavy and unstable.

There really is no getting around the basic physics of sound wave propagation in a room - you need mass and / or great depth and breadth of absorptive material, or a tuned absorber to attenuate sound before it reaches the mic.
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Joly View Post
There really is no getting around the basic physics of sound wave propagation in a room - you need mass and / or great depth and breadth of absorptive material, or a tuned absorber to attenuate sound before it reaches the mic.
The MJMS Mic Screen? Maybe the next great product from the brilliant mind behind Oktavamod thumbsup
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks. But no thanks. Shipping mass and cubic volume around the world is not my idea of a fun or green activity.
Old 3rd February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude View Post
DISCLAIMER: WARNING WARNING WARNING !!!
video clip contains a performance by Celine Dion, if you like death metal and feel easily offended by cheesy pop melodies and/or lush 3-4 sec. 480L reverb clouds PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON THAT LINK....or ask your mummy first!
lmao heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search