The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
T.Bone MICSCREEN (reflexion filter copy) MIDI Processors
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegee View Post
There are a couple of new products out there which I haven't seen anywhere. The Primacoustic VoxGuard and the SE Reflexion Filter Project. Both are lightweight versions of the Pro Reflexion Filter. Anybody had a chance to try these things yet?
A lightweight version - less mass and surface area? Most physics texts on this planet would suggest poorer bass absorption and less control of reflected sound energy in the vocal range compared to the original Reflexion Filter.
Old 20th May 2012
Here for the gear

Agreed - this copy is a waste of money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulbrother View Post
Would seriously recommend you not to waste your money (even if it is only 100 Euros)

(1) This thing is NOT a Reflexion Filter: It is nothing more than a single peice of foam glued to a peice of aluminium with holes in it. The reflexion filter has several other layers in it, all acoustically designed to make it filter out several frequencies.

This thing is designed merely to look like the reflexion filter and get idiots like me to buy it thinking they're getting a bargain. Acoustically speaking, It is only a peice of cheap foam - youd be better off with a duvet on a mic stand, or some peices of foam glues to cardboard, or whatever.

It reminds me of the episode of the Simpsons where at Itchy and Scratchy Land, the robot mouse opens his head and Marge points out all the microchips inside: "See that stuff in there Homer? Thats why the robot you built didnt work."

(2) It makes no discernable difference to the sound that I can tell, still plenty of echoes from the room going on, except with a slight "boxiness" like your singing into a cardboard box.

(3) The attachment to fix it to a mic stand is un-neccessarily fiddly, and a pain in the arse to use: If you're recording on your own, you'll probably only ever be arsed using it for laying down a vocal: If like me, youve got a guitar in one hand, a mic cable wrapped around your head, and you've just spilled a cup off coffee over your wa-wa pedal with your arse, the last thing you could be ****ed doing is dissambling this beast and fixing it up to mic a cab or record an acoustic.
I too was fooled into buying one of these imitations. To be clear, I am talking about the T-Bone copy of the SE product. To give you an idea of the foam used as a "shield" - it is not much different from the foam used as a pop/wind shield for microphones - i.e. it doesn't filter much of anything.

I agree that the bracket design is poor. I also just assumed it would fit regular 3/8" microphone mounts, but the bracket I received is designed for 5/8" fittings.

I can't be bothered to return it to Germany, I'm not going to rip someone else off, and I would be too embarrassed to even give it away. Mine is going in the bin.

I am however still going to get the SE Reflexion filter. It is not magical, but thanks to the posts of other people who have tried it, I think it makes enough of a difference to warrant its price.

Last edited by Androgenix; 20th May 2012 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: sp

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search