The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite Amps For Recording
Old 2nd March 2003
Lives for gear

Favorite Amps For Recording

Are there any amps that you find yourself turning to again and again? Of course, no single amp does it all.

I have a fender twin reverb, super reverb, and a marshall super lead at my disposal. I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions about what kind of amp might be a good compliment. Lately I've been noticing that I would like a larger palette of tones...I'm thinking an AC30 might be a good idea?...or matchless?
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

Fender Tonemaster! dream amp

Matchless of any flavour

Mesa of some variety... but im WAY over the rectifier series cos u hear them everywhere! however there is a new type of rectifier that is 4 channel and has automatic vlave biasing and tone slection and looks to be the bomb but i aint heard it yet.. hmm might be somethign to today...

PEACE
Wiggy

The 'Roadmaster'. The group I'm recording is a MB endorser. This is a VERY FINE. VERY FLEXIBLE design. The most impressive MB product I have seen in quite a while. We are using it on quite a few tracks. An engineers dream. More knobs and switches than you can shake 3 sticks at....

Cheers.

SM.
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Addict

hey slippie!!! you apple bonker, you! glad to c'ya in this capacity. i JUST put some cake down on this little beaut':

http://www.smfamps.com/amp_info.htm

it's made by the guy responsible for the matchless & bad cat class a jobbies, and it absolutely oozes with tone! you'd go mad for it. maybe someday in the past, i'll swing it down your way with a strat and an sg, & we'll have some fun!
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by muddy
hey slippie!!! you apple bonker, you! glad to c'ya in this capacity. i JUST put some cake down on this little beaut':

http://www.smfamps.com/amp_info.htm

it's made by the guy responsible for the matchless & bad cat class a jobbies, and it absolutely oozes with tone! you'd go mad for it. maybe someday in the past, i'll swing it down your way with a strat and an sg, & we'll have some fun!
Is this the amp with the adjustable open/close back design? It sounds like it's the bee's knee's.

Slipperman,
The best guitar tone I have ever heard live, was Paul Reed Smith using some modded jcm 800 he has. This is going years back, to just when the 900 came out. At the time he told me that he would mod one for me if I called him up, and mailed him the parts, etc. I never followed up on that... always something I had to buy first. It involved an extra tube gain stage. Anybody know anything about extra gain stage mods?

oh yeah, and if wurly sees this- the slides are in the mail, I'll tell you what he thinks! i'll email you just in cae you don't see this.
Old 3rd March 2003
Here for the gear

Hey Slip,

I think Marshall made the JCM800 for a while with an 'extra' preamp tube which might explain some of the more broad variances in tone between otherwise like amps.

Just thought I would chime in.

It's nice to see you all "over here".

I had no idea.

-P
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

I have an ordinary Fender De Ville ... something. I like it very much for clean and some crunchy sounds. For more heavy sounds I plug an Marshall JMP 1 into the power amp and here we go. I never had anybody complain about my git sounds.

But my new secret weapon is a new Vox amp. It's solid state with some tubes - I have no idea - and it delivers only 15W. But the sound can be huge with a Tele. I did some ZZ Top riffs with this set up and I'm still amazed 'bout the git sound.
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Head

Electrolab 35 watt is dream come true.

That is if you can find one.

Robocop

ps. don't foget to boil the stings with your beer and brats.
Old 3rd March 2003
One with big hooves

Marshall's can be weird beasts. I let a nice 50 watt 800 slip through my fingers a few years ago and it took some time to find one that wasn't butchered, sounded good and was reasonably priced. The 800's are starting to fetch big bucks for some reason. Yeah, they're great amps but there's also a ****load of them out there.

I've seen a few different mods that involve adding preamp gain, which usually means adding a tube. Guitar Player had a "Mega Drive" mod a few years ago and the Soldano mod has always been popular. A friend of mine used to own a Marshall Major that had been modded a few times. Once with a JMP preamp (post-plexi, pre-800) and then again with the Soldano and a master volume. It was a great amp when it worked but it had that one sound. But damn, it was a good one.

There are tons of great unknown amps out there. The key is finding out what they work on. One of my "secret weapons" is a Carvin X100B. It's got a wicked EQ and the clean channel has headroom for days. The gain channel is a bit weird, it's either thick and muddy like a Big Muff or kind of 800-ish. Either stock or with a pedal in front it's great.

For rock stuff VHT and Rivera also make some great amps. I bought a Dual Recto back in '96 and now I'm kinda played out on the sound of it. But, it can cover a lot of bases and does more then the scooped mid thing if you want to put the time into it.
Old 3rd March 2003
There is only one

wow, all the 800's i have come across i would of shot full of holes if i owned a gun. that said.

i love oranges. and better yet Matamps. i can get pretty much any tone i want out of them. im saving up now for 2x matamp roadsters... stereo guitar heads to hook up my moogers into.

i like older fenders too. combos... bassman, although mine needs recapping.

music man made a decent combo i have recorded on several different occasions.

ampeg something or another combo.

im horrible with model #'s i like... always remember what i hate.

and i want a zvex now... little nanohead. that thing is bitchin.
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman

As for the Matchless. I have just recently spent quite a bit of time with the new 'Green 212' combo(Model#?). And it was one of the 'LEAST' recordable amps I have ever had to put to tape.

I am SO down with you on that, young Slipster. I simply couldn't believe the chasm between expectation for the 'Green 212' Matchless and the reality.

Grainy, won't sit in a mix, munches the vocal up and just wrong sounding to me, even after trying several different excellent guitars.

Like you, I don't get it. Seems like it should kill, given the pedigree. Makes you go "Hmmmmmmmm".

Regards,
Brian T
Old 3rd March 2003
One with big hooves

I've only played through Matchless amps twice. Once was a little combo with a single 10" or 12" in some downtown rehearsal studio that I thought was killer. The second time was a DC-30 that a client brought in and left for a bit. I never liked playing through it enough to try and actually record it. The bottom end was all weird and mushy.
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

I had an X100b for a bunch of years and found it serviceable for the most part. The clean channel is indeed the amps better side but the drive was certainly useable... I got bored with it and dumped it. I have a Carvin Legacy head now that I realy like alot. A major step up from the X100b in both the clean and on the distortion side of the amp. Sounds a helluva' lot more expensive than it is. Very cool head for the cash IMVHO. Any one else toy with the Legacy?

My little secret weapon is the Fender Blues Junior. Surprisingly good stuff from this lil' sucker!
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

Between what I own and what I can usually borrow from friends (when I'm not actually recording them...) : a cream bassman with a 4x10 cab, a blackface bassman with a 2x12, a blackfaced vibrolux, a bandmaster head, a vibrochamp, an AC30TB with blue alnico's, a JMP and a JCM800 with a couple slants with different speakers, a magnatone M10, a B15 (not too shabby for clean tones as well as bass!), a dual rectum-fryer, a VHT single 12"... (for some reason the name escapes me... pitbull?)... anyway, lotsa fun! heh
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Addict
I totally agree about the marshall 800. That amp can have tons of sounds when you stick a snot box in front of it. Not to mention straight in. I have an 82 over under input with an assortement of snot and it is a different amp every time! Very musical and always works. I have heard some stinkers though. I just got a mode 4 sent from marshall up here and OH BOY. NASTY! Wait till you try this one out. Had a Framus in here a few weeks ago. Not bad.
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Addict

the smf amps totally slay the matchless AND bad cat stuff. and, yes, they do have the "sonic" hatchbacks. jesus, slippie, yer gonna have a heart attack when you hear it. blaney has 1st dibs on doin' a session with it, but, after i work out the means to get down to you, we're on, mate! AND, the surprise is, you haven't even heard me play yet ;-))) my experiences with engineers have always been that they can't dig up a mic fast enough...

hey, speakin' of mods, check these guys out:

http://www.voodooamps.com/

their amps (well, the mp3's of) don't sound half bad, either! the smf doesn't have an fx loop, which is probably for the best, as you really wanna keep the path as simple as possible going in, and UNDISTURBED between the pre & power amp. but voodoo does a mod (for $50!!!) that taps an output off of the speaker (for di poirposes), and the would be a great place to send to fx (for live) into small mixer, power amp & roadworthy monitors (gotta work this sys out, but it'd rock!). on that note, check out jan akkerman's new amp!:

http://www.Marble-Amps.com/

it's the one called the "jazzah."

btw, ampeg is makin' the jet & reverb rockets again!!! and, speakin' of that tc elect's line driver, i''ve actually been plugging in an aguilar db900 before my trademark 60, and you would not believe how great it makes that amp sound! (unfortunately, i'm trying to sell it to help pay for the smf).

ml
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

We are talking about the Marshall 800 series with a master volume rather than the non-master volume (1959) 800, aren't we..? And are we talking 100 watts rather than 50 watt versions..??

Regarding Matchless amps: I am probably one of the few guitarists (the AE side of me (BIG word for what I get up to) has never tried a Matchless amp) that actually don't like to play Matchless amps. To me they sound like the worst combination of Vox and Marshall, i.e. the grittyness and almost overly dynamic side of a master volume Marshall trying to do clean sounds combined with the lack of low end that characterises the Vox, but without much of the sweetness of the Vox...

My personal favourites are: AC30 non-top boost with alnico blue speakers, Marshall 1987 w/ Greenbacks and Fender Princeton/Deluxe... I have had good results with a Silver/Jubilee Marshall as well - indeed using a TC Booster/Line Driver Distortion; to me (as a guitarist) one of the things that particular unit does is that it allows you to turn the guitar down for cleaner sounds and still have a good tone.
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

I just sold my rectum finder. Nice amp, great sound for guitarists. Too much chance to nuke everything else in a mix and then you fight with the guiatrist and his boner to cut it down to size.

I like JCM800's sold one as well last week, doing a clean out of some gear.
Now I am left with my Soldano Reverb'o'Sonic Combo.
It just sounds pretty, not really high gain but records nicely.
Old 3rd March 2003
Here for the gear

Sort of on topic:

I was listening to an old Obituary album the other day and I made this observation: I'm not the biggest metal head by any stretch but compared to listening to a lot of that PRS / Dual Rec NU-Metal stuff it was pretty refreshing.

There was a bit of space in the mix, there were guitar leads, the drummer wasn't some nut-groper just pingy ping pinging on a picolo snare he actually had some chops.
They just sounded like some heavy regular bar band, it was pretty cool.

Slipperman, I know you work on a lot of NU stuff and I wondered what you thought.
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by davemc
I just sold my rectum finder.

you just a dege-ge-ge-generate boy!!!

ml
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Pink
Hey Slip,

I think Marshall made the JCM800 for a while with an 'extra' preamp tube which might explain some of the more broad variances in tone between otherwise like amps.
-P
There was a model of the JCM800 that used diode clipping for extra distortion. Bad, bad, bad. dfegad Model 2550 I think is the one.

Stick with JCM800 models 2204 (50 watt) and 2203 (100 watt) and you should be okay.

Mark
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Nut

The JCM 800 with an extra tube, diode clipping, and two channels is the 2205/2210. It's not bad on the lower distortion settings. I like to combine a 2205 and a 2203, both with 6550 power tubes. They combine in a really nice way. The good harmonics get reinforced and the nasty harmonics get cancelled out. Slipperman is totally right - the 800 is a workhorse. There are very few amps that sound good for metal/hard rock. I had a Triple Rectum Fryer for a year, and I didn't use it once!

For rock I like my Ampeg V4. Very raunchy - think Rolling Stones. You have to pull out 2 of the power tubes to make it 50 watts, or it's impossible to overdrive. Pull out one tube from each side and set the output impedance to 1/2 the normal value. I also use a powerbrake on it. It combines well with a Marshall.

At 100 watts it's great for clean guitar. The 2X12 combo version (V22) is extremely massive and solidly built, and it makes a good bass cabinet if you connect the speakers to a solid-state amp.
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk

i love oranges. and better yet Matamps. i can get pretty much any tone i want out of them. im saving up now for 2x matamp roadsters... stereo guitar heads to hook up my moogers into.
Hi Alpha,
do you have more info about these Matamps ? Couldn't find anything whilst googling...

Thanks, kosi
Old 3rd March 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

One amp that I get consistently great sounds from is our old Soldano Hod Rod 100+ head. The overall most versatile head in our little collection of Oranges, Mesas, Marshalls, Fenders, etc. Most of our clients end up using it.

This is going to sound like heresy, esp. from me, but the Line6 Vetta is one combo that I need to borrow again and shoot out its modelizations against the real amps it emulates. It sounded good on an album we did here last month...there were about 15 vintage amps the artist brought into the studio, and that one amp -- which he borrowed to try out -- ended up doing the whole album.

Jon
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

I prefer amps that are one trick pony type amps... The more sounds and knobs the more screwed you are.

To cover most bases:

Fender deuxe

Vox AC-30/ or orange (screw those matchless POS.)

Marshall plexi ( I do own a gun and the 800-900 seies can go...)

Boogie Dual recti/ or VHT pitbull.

Throw in some small crappy tube amps from the golden age of bakelite and a high watt "clean" amp like a twin and you can leave your POD in your lower back where it belongs.
Old 3rd March 2003
Gear Maniac

Dirty, in order of preference:

HiWatt, w/Fane 4x12 straight
Orange 120, w/Celestion K85's 4x12 slant
Marshall PA100, w/greens, 4x12 slant
Matchless DC30, stock
Rivera Knucklehead, w/Celestion K85's 4 x12 straight
Peavey Classic 20, w/Fane 4x12 straight

Clean, semi clean in order of preference:

Fender Bandmaster, w/Celestion K85's 2x12
Roland JC120, w/EV's
VOX AC30, stock
Music Man 112RD, wCelestion V30

When you combine these wonderful amps with a good modeller you have quite a bit of tonal variety.
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fibes
I prefer amps that are one trick pony type amps... The more sounds and knobs the more screwed you are.

To cover most bases:

Fender deuxe

Vox AC-30/ or orange (screw those matchless POS.)

Marshall plexi ( I do own a gun and the 800-900 seies can go...)

Boogie Dual recti/ or VHT pitbull.

Throw in some small crappy tube amps from the golden age of bakelite and a high watt "clean" amp like a twin and you can leave your POD in your lower back where it belongs.
Fibes

you rock

Ditto, super ditto (exept for the VHT pitbull that I don't know, now that I see you favs, I will hunt for it, you have the exact same taste as myself)

malice
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

Shoot, I forgot the cesar diaz modded bassman that I borrowed six months ago for "one" session. That thing barks like a mofo and they're gonna have to pry it from my dead cold fingers before i'll give it back.

The guitarist i tracked this weekend was spotted hugging it several times.
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

I like a plain Bassman, what the hell is this mod ?

malice
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

Cesar was the tech of choice by most guitar gods... It adds a gain stage or two, several eq tweaks and throws in an effects loop too. It's loud and quiet. So very cool. i think the schematics are out there somewhere.
Old 3rd March 2003
Lives for gear

The KING of the dinky toobe amps...fender blues junior...wish it had a second speaker out on it...we got a 'modded prince ton here that is very very cool....ahhhhhhhh jcm800 50watt combo..two greenies...why oh why did i sell it??!!why oh why....it was one of 'those'...a wednesday amp...everybody was having a good day down at the factory..i hadto go get out old material and hear it again....i'm okay(sob)...i've also got one of those semour duncan covertibles...this thing is serious in its tonal range AND it sits in a mix so nice...plus if ya get bored with it ya swap all the preamp modules around and ya get a whole nother amp....incredible...then theres the 1970's bassman 100 head...this is what toobes were all about...sucks on bass....guitars live in a huge dark and driven cave with this thingy...very neo..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search