The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Favorite Amps For Recording
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailedmenonly View Post
The Marshall JCM2000 TSL is an extremely versatile amplifier. With the JMP1 or ADA-MP1 pre amp plays like a beau
TSLs get a lot of hate for some reason and I never understood why.
Great amp, very brutal sound.
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

I have a few amps that I record with:

1- 1951 Fender Deluxe - IMHO the best recording amp I own
2- 1964 Fender Champ - Great for low-fi or overdriven sounds
3- 1968 Fender Vibrolux - great clean sound
4- 1967 Marshall JTM-50 - good R&B sound or 'classic rock' sound
5- 1966 Fender Tremolux - good cleanish broken up sound
6- Soldano Amplifier - good modern sound
7- Vox AC4TV - decent Vox sound and ultra cheap
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Fender Super Reverb. I love it on guitar. After reading the Carol Kaye used one on a lot of her classic wrecking crew sessions, I used it to reamp a client's bass, and loved it.
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibes View Post
Shoot, I forgot the cesar diaz modded bassman that I borrowed six months ago for "one" session. That thing barks like a mofo and they're gonna have to pry it from my dead cold fingers before i'll give it back.

The guitarist i tracked this weekend was spotted hugging it several times.
Roger that !!! The '66 Blackface Super in my profile pic was one of Cesar Diaz's , he did
his standard mods on it. . . . . I also love my Mesa Studio .22 and my Mesa Subway Rocket . . . Got alotta bases covered with these amps and a 57 !
Old 24th November 2009
Here for the gear

Goodsell Super 7
60's Univox U45B
60's Gibson GA5T
Goodsell Unibox

Heard the Savage Macht 12X & a little Vox AC4TVH and really dig both. Will probably add 'em in the near future. --R
Old 25th November 2009
Gear Head

Mesa Subway Blues - one of the best simple amps you can find. Why do they always stop making the good ones?
Old 27th November 2009
Here for the gear

My two favorite amps in the studio are my 1962 Fender Bassman and my VHT/Fryette Deliverance 120. No loops, no reverb, no frills. They are amazing sounding amps with extremely clean signal paths. The Fender has the clean tone of glory and breaks up nicely with a tube screamer in front of it. The Bass channel has more balls than the Normal, the Normal channel is a little sweeter.

The D120 is a fire breather but it's no one trick pony. With a KT88 powersection in has enough clean headroom for anyone. The dual gain controls allow you to really change the compression character of the preamp, as well as the gain and character of V1 and V2. This might be the best kept secret in guitar amps. David Torn has some amazing demos of this amp and you'll never find a better guitarist or composer.

In the "honorable mention" catagory I highly recommend checking out the Fractal Audio AxeFX Ultra. It's the best modeller that has ever been made and really puts every other virtual unit to shame.

JT
Old 28th November 2009
Lives for gear

Matchless Clubman 35 thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

My favorite amps are the ones that I set all of the levels flat, plug straight into, and they instantly sound perfect. My Hiwatt is like that as well, but the Matchless is much more versatile. Clean, dirty, and everywhere in between.
Old 29th November 2009
right now I'm using an egnater rebel 20 on an orange 1x12 cab, but I always seem to find my way back to the trusty fender pro jr... I have a vintage 65 twin but even on "2" it's more less too loud for studio recording...

in general, low watt tube amps are great for studio recording.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search