The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How did you pick your studios name? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 1st March 2003
One with big hooves

How did you pick your studios name?

Pretty self explanatory. I don't have a good story behind Mad Moose sorry to say.
Old 1st March 2003
High End Moderator

One day I was looking behind the racks and voila: WireWorld was born heh
Old 1st March 2003
There is only one

from this
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

i used to call mine buzz box recording, but i have better electric service now.
Old 1st March 2003
Here for the gear

At the time, I was doing pretty much all MIDI and Pro Tools work, so it just seemed to fit. Now I do a lot more acoustic and rock music, but clients don't seem to care so I'm sticking with it.

rollz
Old 1st March 2003
The Library

I have trouble concentrating, so I tried to figure out what atmosphere or 'look' was associated with concentration, then I realized that a library was perfect, plus I found the 'quiet look' a funny contrast to the loud rock music I do. Finally, as all the bands through here are broke musicians, I figured that the splendor of a re-created private library, like ones found in 'rich' old houses would be a good gag for them..

So there is a chersterfied couch, faux old master paintings a framed fish, wooden coathanger and brass light fittings & door handles.. All the racks are dark wood.. & a wooden floor.. and of course, a giant wall of (fake) old books with a hidden door built into it, to the loo.
Old 1st March 2003
Here for the gear

>>.. and of course, a giant wall of (fake) old books with a hidden door built >>into it, to the loo.

In a good spot so as to be useful a diffusor?
Old 1st March 2003
Gear Addict

Planet Of The Tapes

In the late 1970's I opened my first commercial studio, with a partner. We called it "Planet Of The Tapes".

Studio Dual has its name because around that time I was in a punk jazz band (below) and my stage name was Dual Space Orphans. After I closed Planet I ran the first Studio Dual in my apartment.

That's me (him) on the left, at Planet Of The Tapes. The bassist (moustache) is wearing a Planet t-shirt. Note the Owens-Corning 703 on walls and ceiling...

(The "Avatar" pic? That's me at 15, spoofing Che...)
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

I was driving on one of a million oilfield access roads out here when I decided to do it ...the road is a shortcut (read: no State Troopers) between Midland Tx and Eastern New Mexico...these roads are called WireLine roads because these were used to run electric, telemetry trunk lines...

Kinda corny, ain't it?
Old 1st March 2003
Here for the gear

Studio Name

Hammerlocke-Records

When I started, I had originally shared a space with a local professional wrestling club - hammerlock is some type of wrestling hold.
Old 1st March 2003
Moderator emeritus

I came up with Java Jive Studio (web site coming...) both because without caffeine, I wouldn't be vertical, much less working and because Jules had already taken The Library. Besides, I like that old song.One thing I did do was look for a name that I could get an appropriate domain name (i.e. www.javajivestudio.com ).

As I type, the second pot of the morning is brewing; fresh ground Columbian Supremo made with filtered water... I can hardly wait.
Old 1st March 2003
Gear Addict

Crazy Beast is my dog's nickname and it seemed to have a nice ring to it.

This shot pretty much sums it up:
http://www.visi.com/~durrant/winking_beast.jpg
Old 1st March 2003
Yes the books act as difusion, Dave Martin has real books, he collects em!
Old 1st March 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Cauldron Audio

I wanted a name that implied mixing and cooking up something magical and wicked. The Shakespeare vibe wasn't planned but I thought the words rolled into eachother nicely.
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

The studio is called The Clubhouse...it is a clubroom and we're surrounded by a country club....golf course to the left and golf course to the right , what was i to do? i stepped back and did the only logical thing...i pulled a 5 iron......its appropriate...the record company is called Drool'n Dogg Rekords well everything i know i learned from the dog..and yes he drools..
Old 1st March 2003
Lives for gear

In 1985, we set out to make our first "studio" album in the basement. We bought a radioshack 4 channel mixer that ran on a 9 volt battery, and pressed all our parent's stereos into service. We used our Walkman headphones for mics, sticking them inside metal lampshades to make them directional. We had an El-cassette machine with a monitor head that worked as our fixed-time tape delay. All editing, loops, and backwards stuff was done by dis-assembling cassettes, chopping them up, flipping them around, scotch taping them back together and re-loading the shell. They'd last for maybe a playback or two, so we had to have another deck recording on the first playback, which is how all the overdubs got done as well. We called it "Recordings From Deep Space" since we did it in the basement.
Ten years later, when I opened my own studio I wanted to use that name in tribute, but was veto'd by the wife. Good thing. I changed it to "Subspace recording" instead, as this was my first real room-within-a-room studio, and we did a lot of underground records. I do occasionally get asked if we are monitoring broadcasts from space though...
Old 2nd March 2003
Lives for gear

Mine's pretty self explanatory......Kat P Studios...."Smell the magic"
Old 2nd March 2003
Lives for gear

Smash Recording...because in Nashville, every songwriter is convinced their latest is a "smash".

Also a play-on-words of a Southern phrase: "mash the button" as in "mash the record button".

VG
Old 2nd March 2003
Gear Guru

When I was preparing to buy out my old boss I started thinking about names. The place I worked had a name that was a reference to him. It was called Shiny On Top as he shaved his head daily for 12+ years.

I had decided to not buy the digital recorders form him (ADATs---never again...) and that I was going to keep my focus on the analog tape decks. I also wanted to have a groovy/vibe-y type name. So I came up with the Oxide Lounge. I've got a couch in the live room that matches the love seat in the control room. I've got cool lamps and a killer rug. It's a very comfortable place, like a lounge.

SanCastle Mastering is a play on words. My last name is SanFilippo and the mastering room is at my house. A man's home is his castle!
Old 5th March 2003
Here for the gear

This is 2nd try at a reply, apologies if the first one re-enters this universe.

My studio is called End of the Road (EOR).

Heres why:

www34.brinkster.com/endofroad
Old 5th March 2003
Here for the gear

the ****house - truth in advertising
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

Forerunner Srudios, after the label I work for...

I was really pushing for 'Southern Hills Recording", after an old road sign I found when we rehabes the garage the studio is in.. I still like it way more.
Old 5th March 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by John Cafarella
My studio is called End of the Road (EOR).

Heres why:

www34.brinkster.com/endofroad
The pictures aren't showing up on that link.
Old 5th March 2003
Here for the gear

Yeah, a couple of other people have had trouble too. I'm no web page guru, but I think its got something to do with how Microsoft Word writes web pages.

That's the only tool I've got on this computer here at work to build a page with

I guess I should download some freeware thingy, and see if I can incur the wrath of our IT deparatment....

I'l report back later...

Thanks Jay
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

It was the 11th hour and i had to record the next day so i just called my self HFX studios.

Then i started a record label called Ursa Major Records.

Then i got a puppy named Apollo.

Then i upgraded the **** out of my studio so i thought it was time for a name change. So just this month i went with Planetarium Recording (to fit my whole space motif.) Now i'm in the process of painting up my walls to compliment the theme. Ill post pics if it ever gets done.
Old 5th March 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
The pictures aren't showing up on that link.
worked fine here
Old 6th March 2003
Gear Head

I stumbled upon House of Sound in a really wierd way. I was living in the Bay Area at the time, and was driving through the ghetto and saw a place called House of Hair. For some reason I decided to change "Hair" to "Sound" and now 15 years later at least 2 or 3 other studios in my City (chicago)have stolen the name.
Old 6th March 2003
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TwistTurner
[B]I stumbled upon House of Sound in a really wierd way. I was living in the Bay Area at the time, and was driving through the ghetto and saw a place called House of Hair.

there is a hair salon near me called "curl up and dye" which has all the recording studio names beat by a mile. almost makes me want to get my hair done there.
Old 8th March 2003
Here for the gear

bowling anyone?

Melody Lanes, named after a bowling alley in Brooklyn.
Old 9th March 2003
Super Moderator

I created a long list of potential names and asked various people to pick their favorite. After some time, I created a list of the most requested names from the original list and lived with it for a while, trying to deside which one I liked the best...

When incorporating the business, I had a choice between Inc. (for incorporated) or Ltd. (for Limited) for the incorporation designation. I picked Ltd...

Aura-Sonic Ltd., became the name of my company back in the late 70s.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search