The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How did you pick your studios name? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 16th January 2008
Lives for gear

My studio name is "Sonic Sculpture". I borrowed the idea from a Frank Zappa quote I saw in a print interview, where he referred to himself as an "air sculptor".
Old 16th January 2008
Lives for gear

my workplace is called S&M Studios. we're not a commercial studio - it's just for myself, friends & collaborators to work in.

it's a grim story, but the name came about thusly...

my brother, my wife & i were eating meatballs, and i did that thing where you cough & sneeze & hiccup all at once and a piece of food gets lodged somewhere in your head - you know that horrible post-nasal feeling when you know something is somewhere it shouldn't be, and you're not sure how it's going to come out.

my brother, familiar with the phenomenon, immediately dubbed it 'sinus meat'. the following few days worth of recording we did were dumped in a folder entitled 'sinus meat sessions', and from then on i just couldn't let go of the idea. but the phrase itself is a bit unsettling, so we decided S&M Studios was a suitable abbreviation.

only me, my brother, my wife and... er.... readers of Gearslutz know what it really stands for
Old 16th January 2008
Gear Addict

i was thinking about electric kingdom after a classic song and because of all the electronics,or just crimewave studios because thats my label name
Old 16th January 2008
the Temple of Tuneage

After reading "The Temples of Sound", a great book about many of the classic studios, I came up with The Temple of Tuneage... tuneage is just a word I coined following the silly practice of adding "age" to the end of the word "tune".
Old 16th January 2008
Gear Addict

What would be an appropriate name for a studio that says "pop rock"?
Old 17th January 2008
Gear Nut

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/rory/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/rory/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/rory/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]Back in 1838, about four miles south of Fort Snelling on the banks of the Mississippi River, sat Fountain Cave. Early explorers stopped to fill their canteens with the artesian spring water that ran freely from the mouth of the cave. Inside lived Pierre Parrant, an ornery old character with one eye serviceable. His other eye was marble-hued, crooked, with a sinister white ring around the pupil, giving a piggish expression to his sodden, low features. Parrant opened trade as a bootlegger, selling his homemade spirits. As legend has it, he did a thriving business and built the area's first log cabin.
One day, in 1839, a Frenchman named Edmund Brisette was seated at a table in Parrant's hovel ready to write a letter to a friend. Geography puzzled the writer. Where should he date a letter from a place without a name? He looked up inquiringly to Parrant and was met by the dead, cold glare of that eye fixed upon him....... in jest, Brisette dated the letter from Pig's Eye...... and that was the first name of the city which later became St. Paul, Minnesota.
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

I CAN HELP!!!!!!!

If you're having trouble picking a name for your studio I'm willing to help. For a fee. I run a consulting business that specializes in naming recording studios. Actually that's ALL we do. Kind of like those firms that think of daft names for cars, but for recording studios. I haven't thought of name yet for the business. It's also not yet turned a profit, but neither have any of the recording studios we've named.
Old 17th January 2008
Gear Nut

I like Porkchops....and thus it became...Porkchop Studios

Theron Day
Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear

The first project i needed a name for I was still in my dad's basement on the family farm in indiana, and being a drummer I've always had a particular bent towards funky/fusion stuff, so it was Funk_Farm.

Then it was The Paris Studio when my wife and I lived in Illinois on a nice little street called Paris Avenue.

Now, once again it's based on the residence. Once an old department store in beautiful downtown Nashville.

Old 17th January 2008
Lives for gear
My studio is named "The Cat Ranch". I've always loved cats (have several living in the house) and I'm a sucker for strays. There's an old dilapidated garage here where cats ( and an occasional raccoon or opossum) decides to take up residence. I used to put out food for all of them, so of course they stayed around. At one time there were around 20 cats and I was buying 18 pound bags of cat food every 4-5 days. My wife and daughters nicknamed me the Catrancher. Sadly, the ****s who run our county passed an ordinance that implied ownership and would have cost me 5-6 thousand dollars in fines, immunizations. etc., so they all had to go to the local shelter (a no kill shelter, by the way). It still makes me sad, but there's not much else I could do. I wish everyone would adopt a cat or dog. They make much better company than most of the people I've known.
Old 23rd June 2010
I appreciate a good rack....of gear, so "Rack Recording" was born.
Old 23rd June 2010
Lives for gear

30+ some odd years ago I agreed to assist my college roommate by volunteering as a test subject for some hearing experiment that his thesis advisor was running at MIT. I reported to this weird room in one of MIT's more modern buildings that had some portable anechoic chambers and rack after rack chock full of oscillators and oscilliscopes and patchbays...it reminded me of what some idiotic Hollywood B movie set designer would slap together if the script called for "Recording Studio". The sign on the door said

The Auditory Perception Laboratory

I stole the sign. heh

A decade later when I opened my first studio, I pulled that sign out from my college archives and afixed it to the front door. It just seemed too perfect.

Sometime in the 1990s, after relocating several times, the sign went missing, but the name stuck.
Old 23rd June 2010
Lives for gear

We couldn't think of a name, so it became "Stuck On A Name". Which, ironically have proved fairly catchy.heh
Old 23rd June 2010
Gear Addict

I was getting green in my studio one day and it just hit me... Burn Studios. And no I don't mean I was making my studio more eco friendly
Old 23rd June 2010
Lives for gear

"PJ's Barn and Sound" used to record in a barn like structure,,,this thread sure is old...cool
Old 23rd June 2010
Gear Addict

99Z...as in ninety-nine zulu. My youngest brother (a medic) came back from basic some time ago and said that was the army designation for "combat ninja". I thought it was funny so I went with it as a tribute to his service.
Old 23rd June 2010
Lives for gear

Opus Zero Records. My initial is OZ, and I mainly record classical music.
Old 24th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
So there is a chersterfied couch, faux old master paintings a framed fish, wooden coathanger and brass light fittings & door handles.. All the racks are dark wood.. & a wooden floor.. and of course, a giant wall of (fake) old books with a hidden door built into it, to the loo.
I think I've seen pictures of that a while back. Awesome atmosphere!

My artist (and label) name was apparently made up when I was very little. I allegedly had an imaginary girlfriend when I was in kindergarden, I only have been told that by my parents and siblings. I googled the name by random a while back and tried all possible spellings and got zero hits every time. Now it's a trademark. :-)
Old 24th June 2010
Here for the gear

My name is Den, and there are three organs down here, plus a few clonewheels, so "Organ Den Studio" seemed appropriate
Old 24th June 2010
Gear Maniac

The name of my studio is The Fetid Hole. Anyone care to venture a guess at what it refers to!
Old 24th June 2010
Lives for gear

My room is affectionately called Noisy Street Studios. I'm sure you can infer as to why.
Old 24th June 2010
Gear Nut

Shiney Turd, figger it out.
Old 24th June 2010
Gear Nut

It got akward when I used to tell people "Its... uh, Kill Eat And Rape Audio". So I decided to just call it KEAR Audio.
Old 25th June 2010
Gear Addict

Mine is called "THE MOATHOUSE" because the house is literally behind a small stream, and you have to cross a bridge to get to it--

My friend had the best studio name ever.. it was "WOMB" ,, so the liner notes would say "Recorded in the Womb" ha!heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search