The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How did you pick your studios name? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 12th March 2003
Gear Nut

I chose 'invisibl'

Coz sound dont look like anything I ever seen.

And 'transparent' sounds flaky

besides I like the anonymity it suggests...
Old 18th March 2003
Lives for gear

Toyland

Because the gear is all just Toys to me, Just more expensive.
Attached Thumbnails
How did you pick your studios name?-104-0478_img.jpg  
Old 21st March 2003
Gear Nut

Way back when it was "Hole in the World Studio" because we were in a basement. Then my friend Tony came up with the going on-site thang. My friend Rob came up with the appropriate name "N.O.M.A.D." and I came up with "Travelling" with two Ls. Rather British! I'm not known for my originality. :-) He suggested putting periods after each letter so that people would ask what it stands for.

-GRW
Old 30th March 2003
Here for the gear

The name "Yellow Booth" started when my son and I were hanging the infamous yellow stuff for a vocal booth. Of course we covered it with batting, etc. but the name stuck.

Might change it to the name of his publishing company, Life Worship. We do mostly CCM and gospel.

Wayne
Old 11th October 2004
One with big hooves

bump
Old 11th October 2004
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Yes the books act as difusion, Dave Martin has real books, he collects em!
No, I read 'em. I just don't get rid of them afterwards.
Old 11th October 2004
Don
Gear Maniac

A name I've been toying with for my little hole in the wall.."Low FI Indians"...why because it ..Hummmm I don't know
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by pounce

there is a hair salon near me called "curl up and dye" which has all the recording studio names beat by a mile. almost makes me want to get my hair done there.
Blues Brothers reference. "Curl Up and Dye" was the salon that the Carrie Fischer character worked at.

I know, I know...get a life...

Cheers,
Tim
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Maniac

I do mostly bluegrass recording and Bill Monroe used to speak of listening to "the ancient tones" of Celtic music.
Old 11th October 2004
Mine was just a customer comment that struck a chord.
Old 12th October 2004
Here for the gear

had a freaky dream about aliens landing, and capturing sound with enormous microphones.... so my studio started off as 'Flying Saucer Audio Capture'. no drugs involved at the time.....

I'v since shortened it to Flying Saucer Audio, easier to manage.

Gil Eva
Old 12th October 2004
Jai guru deva om

Brackentracks Studio...

I started my first studio in a HUGE spare room in my old house on Brackenridge Road and needed a name one day for a friend's album credits.

It stuck. I like it because it doesn't necessarily scream metal studio, or rap studio, or pop studio...but it's easy to remember.

War
Old 12th October 2004
Lives for gear

We called our studio 'The Old Blacksmiths' because, er...it's was The Old Blacksmith's place.

It seems to have worked (as far as 'names' work) and gets shortened to simply 'Blacksmiths' by our clients.

It meant we could use our cheesy tagline too - 'Forging New Music' heh

Cheers,
Rich
Old 12th October 2004
Lives for gear

My home studio is in a room underneath the house which opens to the back yard. The previous owner let her dogs live in there & called it "the Dogroom"....the name stuck. Even though of course I completely gutted & rebuilt the room- the masonite walls with the maroon & brown paisley velour wallpaper is long gone....
Old 18th October 2004
Gear Head

Our studio is called "Schaltraum", the german word for switch room. But when you speak it, it sounds like Schall-Traum, what means Sonic dream. So we got all in one word, what we think is important. The switch for the gear, the sonic, the room and ..... the dream.

Achim
Old 18th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ali48343
Our studio is called "Schaltraum", the german word for switch room. But when you speak it, it sounds like Schall-Traum, what means Sonic dream. So we got all in one word, what we think is important. The switch for the gear, the sonic, the room and ..... the dream.

Achim
Cool name!

Cheers,
Rich
Old 18th October 2004
Lives for gear

I wanted a name that was also an available WWW domain. Something that would reference budget recording.

I have mixed feelings about the word CHEAP in Cheap Tracks - some folks like the name, others think it sounds ... well ... Cheap. Since I am a little self-conscious about it, I try to make my web site and marketing materials look as uncheap as possible to help compensate.
Old 18th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ali48343

Achim
nice word-play, Achim.
Old 18th October 2004
Gear Head

Thanks
Old 21st October 2004
Gear Maniac

Well, my brother and i have totally different recollections as to who came up with the name Apocalypse Cow Recording (he for some reason thinks he came up with it, which is a damn lie, but anyway.)

I was in 13 and he was 17, and we had just finished the editing a video essay for his senior year term paper (it was some pretty pretentious 11-minute piece about how much life sucks, ya know, but hey, it was the first thing we ever did, so some slack should probably be cut). I was woozy from just completing my seventh viewing of "Apocalypse Now" (I had recorded it off crummily-broadcast late nite UHF station on a top-loader VCR, remember those things?), so I offered that we call our little production company be called Apocalypse Cow. Some 15 years later, it's still stuck with us. Plus, it's easy to come up with logo ideas for that name, so it all works out.
Old 21st October 2004
My studio has always been in the basement of whatever house I was living in. The first name was the Boiler Room. At some point I decided I wanted something a bit less goofy and my wife came up with The Music Lab.
Old 22nd October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Musiclab
My studio has always been in the basement of whatever house I was living in. The first name was the Boiler Room.
I kinda' like the Boiler Room.

"Something's always cookin' in the Boiler Room."
Old 22nd October 2004
Lives for gear

Considering that every client I have ever had has asked me that question, its about time that I post this online.

No hidden meaning or profound significance, just a line from an old VU song; "up to Lexington one-two-five......."
Old 24th October 2004
Gear Nut

My first real studio (dating from '94-'98) was the 'home'
and practice space for my band at the time: Usquebaugh...

Usquebaugh is the anglicized spelling of the Irish
word for whiskey and it literally means: water of life...

(The band specialized in what we termed Celtidelic Rock)

The studio's name reflected the
whiskey theme: "stillsound studios"...

I also liked the yin/yang aspect of it (still=quiet/sound=noise)...

My current studio (since '99) basically named itself...

The street address is 2220...

The human hearing range is
commonly expressed as 20(Hz)-20(kHz)...

So it was natural to call the studio "20to20soundesign"...
Old 24th October 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by zemlin
I kinda' like the Boiler Room.

"Something's always cookin' in the Boiler Room."
feel free to use it
Old 25th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Musiclab
feel free to use it
Thanks, but it wouldn't fit.
Old 25th October 2004
FX smörgåsbord user

Quote:
Originally posted by pounce
there is a hair salon near me called "curl up and dye" which has all the recording studio names beat by a mile. almost makes me want to get my hair done there.
My mom is a doctor, and when she was going to medical school she was friends with another student, James Hurt. Upon graduation they decided to open an office together. The sign out front read:

The Hurt & Dye Clinic

Their partnership didn't last too long. Patients were a little put off by the seemingly inappropriate name for a doctor's office.

True story.
Old 4th January 2005
Gear Maniac

Studio Names

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Dye
My mom is a doctor, and when she was going to medical school she was friends with another student, James Hurt. Upon graduation they decided to open an office together. The sign out front read:

The Hurt & Dye Clinic

Their partnership didn't last too long. Patients were a little put off by the seemingly inappropriate name for a doctor's office.

True story.
The Hurt & Dye clinic that is Hilarious.

The Name of my Studio Is
Playback Recording Studio
It pretty much says it all!!!
Old 4th January 2005
Lives for gear

You can probably tell by my screen name I'm a big Zappa fan-
I first thought about getting into engineering while listening to the Joes Garage album when I was about 15. I still have to thank Joe Chicarelli when I see him....
www.syborgstudios.com
Old 4th January 2005
Gear Addict

I don't know, what can I say. I couldn't think of anything clever.

Regards,
Bruce

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search