The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FIREFACE 800 vs M-Audio Profire 2626 Audio Interfaces
Old 20th August 2008
Here for the gear

FIREFACE 800 vs M-Audio Profire 2626

Hey Guys!

First of all i have been surfing around in this forum and became really happy with the feedback on posts. Really, really helpfull.

I am looking for an interface.

I was just about to decide for FIREFACE 800. After read many reviews about, i felt that is pretty good interface.
But few days ago i heard about M- audio 2626. Also some good reviews.

My situation is:

I am recording at home. Not sound proof.

Well, of course the budget is important. But more important for me would be the sound quality.
I would pay the price of the FIREFACE....

Do you really think that the diference of the sound quality betwen them are really HUGE??
Is the FIREFACE much, much.... better then M-audio 2626??
Where is exactly the point of difference betwen them??

P.S - Sorry about my english i am doing my best as a Brazilianheh

Thanks All
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

The 2626 has fewer I/o but more preamps, and most importantly, for an additional $250USD you can run a version of Pro Tools with it. You won't be able to run Pro Tools with the FF800.

I am waiting on delivery of a 2626 so until then I don't know what to judge of it.
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Addict

I don't know how the sound quality compares but as far as reliability goes the RME drivers are rocksolid. M-Audio's firewire drivers on the other hand are a lot more hit & miss
Old 20th August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls hit View Post
I don't know how the sound quality compares but as far as reliability goes the RME drivers are rocksolid. M-Audio's firewire drivers on the other hand are a lot more hit & miss
What you mean about " hit & miss " ??
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

For functionality, performance, sound and features it has to be the FF. It's just such a better unit than most of the snobs give it credit for. It was quite amusing a few years ago here on GS when someone posted a bunch of audio files and in a blind test many folks preferred the RME over the sound of the Apogee.
Old 27th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
It was quite amusing a few years ago here on GS when someone posted a bunch of audio files and in a blind test many folks preferred the RME over the sound of the Apogee.
Good to hear this. Or read...

I have the same dilemma...i'm choosing between M-audio Profire 2626 and RME Fireface 800. The Fireface here in Brazil costs about twice the price of Profire 2626.

I'm interested in more opinions about Profire 2626 and Fireface 800, specially the converters and drivers. I don't really care about the built in preamps...And I'm not Pro Tools user, Cubase here.

Thanks!
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirocaster View Post
Good to hear this. Or read...

I have the same dilemma...i'm choosing between M-audio Profire 2626 and RME Fireface 800. The Fireface here in Brazil costs about twice the price of Profire 2626.

I'm interested in more opinions about Profire 2626 and Fireface 800, specially the converters and drivers. I don't really care about the built in preamps...And I'm not Pro Tools user, Cubase here.

Thanks!
Converters are better on the ff.Drivers are the ..dare i say it best in the Firewire interface dept.There isnt anything better.And you get totalmix..the most flexible routing on any interface.
No brainer imo.
Old 28th August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxpod View Post
Converters are better on the ff.Drivers are the ..dare i say it best in the Firewire interface dept.There isnt anything better.And you get totalmix..the most flexible routing on any interface.
No brainer imo.

Thanks a lot man

I am going for the fireface.
Its seem to be much more stable interface.
People talk not bad things about M audio 2626. But in other hand many problems with configurations.

I want to get read of this.

Will expend lot more, but no headache

Be well
Old 13th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
The 2626 has fewer I/o but more preamps, and most importantly, for an additional $250USD you can run a version of Pro Tools with it. You won't be able to run Pro Tools with the FF800.

I am waiting on delivery of a 2626 so until then I don't know what to judge of it.

You should be able to run protools on it. They both can be used as standalone converters via adat. If I am wrong, please explain.
Old 13th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
You should be able to run protools on it. They both can be used as standalone converters via adat. If I am wrong, please explain.
The question is why is it so important to run Pro Tools?
Different strokes for different folks, but I prefer to work with Nuendo(Cubase4)

As far as Pro Tools itself goes, it will only run on its own hardware or the approved M-Audio hardware. You could use a FF as a converter but you would still need a Pro Tools/M-Audio interface which would be a fairly pointless way of proceeding.
Old 13th October 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
The question is why is it so important to run Pro Tools?
Different strokes for different folks, but I prefer to work with Nuendo(Cubase4)

As far as Pro Tools itself goes, it will only run on its own hardware or the approved M-Audio hardware. You could use a FF as a converter but you would still need a Pro Tools/M-Audio interface which would be a fairly pointless way of proceeding.

I purchase the 2626 and have been very happy with it...one of the reasons I bought it was so I could run Protools, but also so I had the ability to run other DAW platforms. I like the ability to work on any OS on any DAW, but I fall back to Protools.
Old 13th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mradlauer View Post
I purchase the 2626 and have been very happy with it...one of the reasons I bought it was so I could run Protools, but also so I had the ability to run other DAW platforms. I like the ability to work on any OS on any DAW, but I fall back to Protools.
Fair enough! Sounds like it works well for you.
Old 14th October 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
Just to clarify, the 2626 can be used directly with Pro Tools M-Powered as a standalone firewire audio interface. The RME would not function directly with Pro Tools, working only as a standalone A/D/A converter running via ADAT into another Pro Tools compatible audio interface (such as the 2626 or Digi 003).
Old 14th October 2008
Here for the gear

Could someone post up so recordings done with the 2626? I've also been considering this and I've heard really good things about it, but I would like to hear comparison recording's to other interfaces in the same price range, or at least a sample of the sound quality it gives.
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

I don´t like the fireface: Do a search at Nuendo.com for Blofeld test,

The performance is not what one expect from over hyped product. Just the same as any other Firewire device, pretty standard, MOTU kicks its butt, TC konekt is\was worse, Onyx 400f a little is\was a little worse, M-Audio is about the same performance.

Regarding sound. For a unit, made in Germany, costing what it cost with the amount of I\O it has, what do you expect? SSL concentrate?

I don´t think sound wise it´s some kind of holly grail, quite banal indeed.
Allegedly, it´s clock is one of the best so having one as the center piece of a studio is nice. Albeit their AD\DA chips are AKM, the same on 003, Onyx, MOTU and a lot more.

For anyone needing a smaller setup, with nice pres and converters it´s not the all in one best solution IMO.

I didn´t try the Profire, but i tried other M-Audio FW interfaces. I was very pleased for the money. I believe the Octane Pres are a nice upgrade on those interfaces doe.
Old 14th October 2008
Gear Addict

I've had both the MAudio Project Mix and and the FF800. The Project Mix held a lot of promise as both a sound card and control surface. However, the drivers were just problematic. Constant glitches that drove me nuts. The PM pres were a bit brittle for my taste. Hopefully the drivers associated with the 2626 will be better.
On the other hand, the FF800 has been rock solid. Not one problem. It works EVERY time. As I have outboard gear I do not use the FF800 pres (though I tested them out - ok but not great). The conversion and clock are stellar. I'm sure others will disagree, but for me, there's really no choice.

-Rich
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

I love my FF800, rock solid, pres are ok...for some things they work just fine. It is really important for me to make music and not have to think about whether or not the brain of my system is working or not. I am happy I went with it and it works great. Also a while back somebody did a listen on which converters where better, apogee or RME and the RME did quite well against a rosetta I'm pretty sure.
cam
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
I love my FF800, rock solid, pres are ok...for some things they work just fine. It is really important for me to make music and not have to think about whether or not the brain of my system is working or not. I am happy I went with it and it works great. Also a while back somebody did a listen on which converters where better, apogee or RME and the RME did quite well against a rosetta I'm pretty sure.
Well, you're all right and all wrong. The best things about the Fireface are its stability and very solid clock and converters. Getting a good ten-channel ADC along with 18 digital inputs, all in one box, is a great value when combined with stability. The Fireface suffers a little bit now because other manufacturers have caught up with similar price/feature packages, but just reading online, it seems like few of its competitors are as stable. MOTU has a great history of making stable drivers, but their products rarely have been known for great sound, and RME has always been known for that. Few companies have combined sonic quality and stability quite as well.

Now the bad news. First, the preamps are borderline unusable other than for scratch tracks. Second, reports that the conversion is comparable to Apogee are wishful thinking, and the test you mention was totally bull****. I doubt you'll find many folks who have used a Rosetta, or other converter by Apogee or Mytek or Lavry, who will tell you the Fireface is comparable. Some might switch, but that's because the Fireface is a good choice and much, much cheaper. We see this sometimes with breakthrough value products, which the Fireface definitely was. Rather than just being happy with their already great value, some people are just desperate to believe ... whatever.

I've used all kinds of converters from first-generation ADATs to Lavry Blues, and I can tell you about a surprisingly good $300 converter and a pretty disappointing $3000 converter. That doesn't make the $300 converter better -- you have to have a sense of perspective. The RME folks know damned well that a Fireface isn't a Rosetta, and that's why they make the RME ADI-8. But nobody's going to post a bogus "test" on that, because that wouldn't rationalize spending $1000 less. My point really is, there's no need to rationalize spending less, because spending less is inherently good -- you can spend the money elsewhere. The Fireface is a very good choice in its own right.

Note pledge below.

JSL
Old 14th October 2008
Gear Head

I can't say enough good about the FF800. I updated the firmware and installed it in about 20 min. super low latency with firewire 800. It sounds great, and the pres are ok. Dsp mixer and the preference box is easy to get around on. never had a single problem.

Complaints about the FF800. Really nit-picky stuff.

No main monitor control, you have to use the dsp mixer
Phantom power is also controlled my the dsp.

buy the RME.
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

You could always get a 2626, run pro tools, and pick up an RME ADI-2 AD/DA converter (around $550 used) as well. The total will come out to less than a FireFace800. You'll get your ability to run Pro Tools, and also have a couple channels of RME's superior conversion. You also get DA conversion so you're monitoring will improve as well.

just an idea. one of many.
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

I use the RME ADI-2 with an M-Audio 1814 - good combo!

I may go with a 2626 for my next rig, or just stick with the 1814 if it works okay with a new computer.

No, I have not used the 800 or 2626... but I have seen pictures of them. heh
Old 14th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
You could always get a 2626, run pro tools, and pick up an RME ADI-2 AD/DA converter (around $550 used) as well.
An even better bet for Mac users is to pick up an original Metric-Halo ULN-2, which seem to be going for around $800 these days, and strap that to the 2626. That would give you:

1. Two channels of excellent ADC and DAC.
2. Two real "boutique grade" preamps, the best found on any interface.
3. Better monitoring and headphone control.
4. A fine Core Audio interface -- so you can skip using Digi Core Audio completely.
5. The possibility of upgrading later to all that insane "d2" processing capability, which I believe you could use on up to ten channels at a time on your mixes.

And still less than a Fireface.

JSL
Old 19th October 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
An even better bet for Mac users is to pick up an original Metric-Halo ULN-2, which seem to be going for around $800 these days
JSL
Where can I find such a price on the ULN-2?
Old 19th October 2008
Gear Addict

I buddy of mine have an RME fireface

and another get an 2626 recently.... so

we put the 2 together to compare side by side...

On blind tests.... they say FIREFACE and it was the Maudio 2626... sooo
i can say that MAUDIO have a winner here...
they can rank now to the height of RME....

not good enough to compete with Mytek , Lavry or Lucid.... but
RME sure yes and almost half the price...

on the preamp side they are way better than the delta 1010 ones...

I think they are in the league of the OCTANE´s from MAUDIO...

that and the protools compatibilty....for PT guys ( I use sonar.... )
plus the wordclock and midi... to say some will put this box on a no brainer place...

i will get one for me also...

On the firewire side...
Just stick with a PCI card with TI Chipset and you will do fine...

Other chipsets can make or not trouble... so...
Just dont use the onboard FW chip if your MOBO have one...

And get a TI FW Card and your are set...

MY 2 cents
Rolo.
Old 19th October 2008
Lives for gear

Another vote for the ProFire 2626, had it a week or two, bought a TI Firewire card for it and haven't had any problems, just make sure if you have a PCI wifi card to disable that because with it on i was getting a few glitches
Old 19th October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
Another vote for the ProFire 2626, had it a week or two, bought a TI Firewire card for it and haven't had any problems, just make sure if you have a PCI wifi card to disable that because with it on i was getting a few glitches
Hey where you get the TI FW card man
Old 20th October 2008
Gear Maniac

Belkin makes Ti Firewire. They're sold in staples.

Siig also makes them there sold on Newegg.
ADSPyro also makes them there sold on Musiciansfriend and Newegg.
Old 20th October 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashofapheonix View Post
Belkin makes Ti Firewire. They're sold in staples.

Siig also makes them there sold on Newegg.
ADSPyro also makes them there sold on Musiciansfriend and Newegg.
Thx
Old 21st October 2008
Gear Nut

This may have already been covered but.... you're looking at a < 699$ interface vs a $1500~ interface...

The FF will probably be more reliable. I've never heard or tried the 2626 but a professor of mine (who has been a professional producer/engineer/masterer for 20+ years) swears by his FF 800. He also hates on Maudio all the time, which I think at times can be a little biased, but still...

Another question is do you really need the FF? It's 4 pre's vs 8. The FF's converters will most likely be a LOT better than that of the 26's, and everybody and their mother swears that RME's stuff is super reliable. The price difference is basically double so think about what you really want to do.. the FF is a great buy, but the 2626 is a great deal and you can still do a lot with it.
Old 21st October 2008
Gear Addict

I remember buggy M-Audio drivers from my FW1814. My 2626 has been solid as a rock. Never an issue with the drivers. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the pres and converters as well. I'm familiar with the sound of the FF but I haven't been behind the controls of one so I won't try to sway you. Just don't let the drivers of yesteryear worry you. From what I've seen, you won't have any issues.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search