The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FIREFACE 800 vs M-Audio Profire 2626 Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd October 2008
Here for the gear

I've been considering different firewire interfaces for over a month now, and I think i'm pretty much set on the 2626. Since I use a HD rig at college i'd like to carry on messing around/"practicing" in my spare time.
Am I right in thinking it would be possible to hook up a seperate mixer in the future in order to mix and twiddle knobs? :-D If so, would this go into the 2626 itself? Or would it go into a normal USB port?
Cheers,
Todd
Old 5th December 2008
Here for the gear

Extra inputs for Ensemble

I have an ensemble and am just looking to get another bunch of inputs. Is my best bet going adat in? If so I was thinking either the ff800 or the profire 2626? Preamps, converter are both in consideration although Ill prob use the ones from the apogee as long as im using less that 8 at a time. Which is 99% of the time. And as far as protool, it would be alright to use when those people demand to see it boot up once on the screen. But thats why god made the mbox right? So yea it will be used 99% of the time with logic. Thanks.
-e
Old 6th February 2009
Gear Maniac

**** that i bought a 2626 mostly cause you can run protools. specially in music industry. mostly everybody runnin that. plus i heard 2626 just as good as rme sound wise with half the price
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

I would go with the 2626, even if the price was the same.
Just compare THD, SN ratio, dynamic range on both... End of story.
FF800 it´s a mediocre sounding interface. Its drivers seem to be always on beta or alfa stage. Every week you got a new one to fiddle with.

About M-audio i only had the Ozone. It perform and sounded no worse than the FF800. Just the same as saying: great for the money.
Old 6th February 2009
CMS
Here for the gear

Just a thought....
Focusrite pro26i/o

Sounds better than the maudio by some margin. Downside is some probs getting them settled in and fired up esp on pcs, and a god-awful graphic mixer interface. That aside, it makes very good recordings and has loads of genuinely useful features. Always been a fan of rme, again graghic interface aside they are very good dependable units. Preamps on interfaces are only ever 'adequate'. Get a couple of proper pre's to go with. Ben
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
Just a thought....
Focusrite pro26i/o

Sounds better than the maudio by some margin. Downside is some probs getting them settled in and fired up esp on pcs, and a god-awful graphic mixer interface. That aside, it makes very good recordings and has loads of genuinely useful features. Always been a fan of rme, again graghic interface aside they are very good dependable units. Preamps on interfaces are only ever 'adequate'. Get a couple of proper pre's to go with. Ben
Will it work with Protools?

Don't bother, I already know the answer.

Did you compare it side by side with the 2626?

I think I know the answer to this one too.
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Maniac

it would be interesting to hear a A/B test between

RME 400-800 vs Profire 2626 vs 003+
Old 11th February 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorch Trakz View Post
it would be interesting to hear a A/B test between

RME 400-800 vs Profire 2626 vs 003+
I already know where that test would go, having had hands on experience with all 3 units. The RME would have the best conversion, the profire would have the best pres. The RME has a much more solid clock, as does the 002 when compared to the 2626 (the clock really is the weak point). These "cheap interface vs cheaper interface, vs more expensive interface...what do I buy?" threads are all the same. You have a bunch of people, like myself, giving their opinions. 3/4 of the posts in here are from people who have only owned one of the interfaces mentioned and probably dont have a whole heck of a lot of experience with different gear in general. Youre best bet is to examine what you will be doing with the gear, search gearslutz and the rest of the great interwebz, then form an opinion of your own and go from there. Objectivity is not as abundant in these threads as we would like, but hey, everyone is entitled to express their thoughts.

Now, I use a 2626 as my main interface. I like the sound quality overall, and I am going to buy a BLA clock to help things along. For the money, I think it is a solid bet.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHatGuy View Post
Now, I use a 2626 as my main interface. I like the sound quality overall, and I am going to buy a BLA clock to help things along. For the money, I think it is a solid bet.
That's good to hear because that's exactly what I was planning within the next couple of months. Getting a 2626 and then eventually a MicroClock.
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Obviously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag View Post
I would go with the 2626, even if the price was the same.
Just compare THD, SN ratio, dynamic range on both... End of story.
FF800 it´s a mediocre sounding interface. Its drivers seem to be always on beta or alfa stage. Every week you got a new one to fiddle with.

About M-audio i only had the Ozone. It perform and sounded no worse than the FF800. Just the same as saying: great for the money.
You have some "problem" with RME and have decided to grind that axe in this thread. I won't comment about the 2626 as I haven't used it, but your statements about the FF are patently 180 degrees out from the consensus opinion throughout the home and pro audio recording industry. "Mediocre sounding" - hardly...while not a Lavry or Apogee many, many A/B samples have been posted from topshelf converter units on this board and others directly contrasted with the FF. The results have always been a mishmash with very few people identifying units correctly or even predictably identifying differences (below any statistical reliability of actual significance). Hardly mediocre - actually outstanding...and not just for the price.

Your comment about "beta" or "alpha" drivers is about the most ignorant statement concerning RME drivers I've ever read. Hands down, RME has one of, if not "the", BEST reputation for rock-solid, dependable drivers. They work all the time, every time. The company posts updates often...all of those updates are also rock solid and work correctly right from the start. Again, hardly "alpha" or "beta" products in the least.

If you've got a problem with RME, just say so...then leave it. Posting completely unsubstantiated "statements" in an effort to criticize a product invalidates everything you say in praise of another.
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHatGuy View Post
I already know where that test would go, having had hands on experience with all 3 units. The RME would have the best conversion, the profire would have the best pres. The RME has a much more solid clock, as does the 002 when compared to the 2626 (the clock really is the weak point). These "cheap interface vs cheaper interface, vs more expensive interface...what do I buy?" threads are all the same. You have a bunch of people, like myself, giving their opinions. 3/4 of the posts in here are from people who have only owned one of the interfaces mentioned and probably dont have a whole heck of a lot of experience with different gear in general. Youre best bet is to examine what you will be doing with the gear, search gearslutz and the rest of the great interwebz, then form an opinion of your own and go from there. Objectivity is not as abundant in these threads as we would like, but hey, everyone is entitled to express their thoughts.

resonable answer. i just bought a 2626. havent used it. waitin for firewire card. did own a mbox2. wonder if im gona a hear sound/conversion difference. im curious to hear rme conversion vs 2626 audio since rme is very popular.
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorch Trakz View Post
resonable answer. i just bought a 2626. havent used it. waitin for firewire card. did own a mbox2. wonder if im gona a hear sound/conversion difference. im curious to hear rme conversion vs 2626 audio since rme is very popular.
In my opinion, most people are not going to hear a difference unless they A) are able to a/b the two pieces of gear side by side, or B) have worked with one piece of gear so extensively and have developed their listening skills to the point where they can pick these things out. The latter of the two is a pretty uncommon skill to find amongst people who give a crap about lower end gear. So, to tie in to my previous comment about objectivity, there is also a level of inexperience that goes in to people misjudging that they "think" they hear or heard.

Recording is a mix of art and science, and if you prefer the way interface X sounds over interface Y and if its features and layout are more suitable for you then go for it. That is where the art portion of things comes in to play. Just because I prefer a different shade of green to color my picture with than you do doesnt necessarily mean that either of us is wrong, but there are different types of paints with different chemical makeup that will undoubtedly have a different effect over how the artist paints. Each piece of gear you use will have a different "color" about it and will perform a certain way. If you dont like it, move on till you find one that suits your needs.
Old 17th February 2009
CMS
Here for the gear

Will it work with Protools? Don't bother, I already know the answer.

That was not part of the brief. The question was which interface, full stop.

Did you compare it side by side with the 2626? I think I know the answer to this one too.

Not side by side, but i have used all of them, and they all have their merits. Why be so dismissive? All gear is a compromise, particulary in the budget arena. I fit a lot of it too and in so doing, hear it and see it go wrong. The 2626 is too new to say but we don't tend to use m-audio due to the "fall over go bang factor", we use a lot of motu because it usually works properly. The best advice i could offer is to go mac for audio, then at least the driver problems are far fewer and logic simply cannot be argued with in price/performance terms.

Frankly I personally don't see the point in tools on pc and full protools hd on a mac is not the stuff for Low End Theory. For home recording I go Cubase on pc and Logic on mac.

Not to encourage it but you can try running osx on your pc. See osx86 project. Many people are running hackintoshes as DAWs very successfully
That is enough to make me less inclined towards the m-audio.

If tools on pc is your system of choice, then discussion over, its the m-audio. Make sure its a TI firewire chip tho
Old 12th April 2009
I know this thread is a bit old, just wondering if anyone with direct experience with both units can shed some light on how they compare (conversion, not pre-amps or drivers). thanks.
Old 25th May 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post
I know this thread is a bit old, just wondering if anyone with direct experience with both units can shed some light on how they compare (conversion, not pre-amps or drivers). thanks.
Here ya go--from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSound View Post
I must say, I thought there WAS a noticeable difference in AD and DA between the two units. The RME AD sounded airier and more spacious to me, especially on acoustic instruments, and the DA imaging sounded bigger and wider (for lack of better terms!) to me in a friend-assisted blind test. But while I thought the RME sounded BETTER, it didn't sound $1000 BETTER! (based on current MAP pricing) If my decision was based on conversion alone, I'd go with the Profire for the price any day! That being said, the drivers, the Totalmix interface and associated features, and the quality conversion as a package make the Fireface well worth the money I paid for it.

In regards to the ProFire, I actually really like the fact that the TRS inputs don't go through a gain stage. It lets you use outboard preamps with direct AD conversion to avoid two gain stages!
Whole thread here:
M-Audio ProFire vs RME Fireface: the details
Old 11th July 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatoric View Post
And to add, how do the preamps in the 2626 stand up to the RME?
Old 24th March 2011
Gear Nut
HI, i have RME FF800 and im very happy with it..
I have a question.. I got a PRO FIRE 2626 from a friend and i was wondering can i conect it via adat option on my FF800
I want to record drums thats why i need more mic inputs...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search