The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro tools HD vs Mix 24 888 system Digital Converters
Old 20th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMS View Post
i have a mix 3 system with a 7 slot expansion chassis. I track in 6.4.1 and mix in 5.1.3 because of the plugs i have. I do a ton of outboard mixing but still use alot of plugs as well.

delimma is that i am considering a big jump to a commercial space and i do have a killer mojo console with tons of outboard gear, but if i can get a trnkey hd3 system for under 5k, man it is a tough call to not jump on that.

most of the plugs i own that are ilok based are rtas, so that does not do well for me with a mix system, however tha would slam with the g5 and hd3.

i may jump on the hd thing, but mix peeps, talk me out of it. or give me some insight on an expanded version of mix. I could jump on a couple of mix cards to get me to a mix5 system with 3 888's and the apogee ad8000se i have for 32 i/o.

thoughts?
AFAIC,

Your needs are determined by your clients and your personal workflow - what do they need, and what are you willing to make do with?

IMO, if you are tracking/mixing with a console, and not needing all the new and fancy doodads of an HD system, I'd stick with the Mix system and Apogee's with a few 888/24's to fill out 32 tracks I/O. Invest the 5+G back in quality analog gear - at least that will provide some resale value at a later date, although if your ROI is very high in getting an HD system, I'd mos def. consider that first, but - ONLY if it pays dividends quickly (within weeks/a month or 2)...

Then again, I'm kinda "MadMax" of the audio game, and refuse to keep jumping into the snakepit with new digital gack: I invest my bread in other things now I can adequately make music with the (digital) tools I have.

It's easy to 'want' more, but the question is "do I NEED more"?

cheers and good luck,
Old 20th January 2010
Gear Maniac

I was in your situation about 6 months. I wanted that HD core badly. At the time PCIe cores were going for 5K (used) - 7K (new). JUST 1 CORE!! I was very happy with the PT8 workflow & was not about to go backwards in time. Not with all the great technology that was making it's way into the box. The cash was not abundant at the time, to say the least and I realized that my best bet was to stick it out with an LE system until money rained from the sky.

So, I applied for credit and made a vow to purchase only the things that would also be compatible with an HD system. I purchased a Lynx Aurora w/ ADAT bridge, and got myself a UAD-2 Duo. I managed to work out a good deal with my retailer and promised to purchase the HD core from them when the demand allowed for it. In return, he promised to trade the ADAT for the LT-HD when that time comes. Now I'm halfway to an HD rig - close to finishing my payments - upped my credit score considerably - began collecting some of the best plug-ins available - and am getting ready for my next purchase.

Still dealing with some latency but, I have made a drastic improvement in the sound of my LE system.

You might ask, what happened with the 002? Well, I did have my 002 clock modified by BLA. Why did I take the loss on that? Because the 002 will not clock externally via ADAT and I could not justify the purchase of the LYNX unless I had a good clock source. It did justice! And definitely raise the re-sale value of the not so adored 002. But, I might keep it around as a mobile rig. At the end of the day, I was looking at right under 4 G's. My next purchase is an HD core.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 21st January 2010
LMS
Lives for gear

i had a bla sig mod 002r. loved it, BUT the latency is something that hindered me greatly.

also, i have so much analog gear that i wanted to implement that into the mixing side of things.

So ya, this system works for me, works great actually. Sounds better than anything that i have done with the bla modded oo2. seriously. i come from both sides, what i have now is way better sounding. It also helped to get 32 channels of api console in the chain as well.

I passed on the hd rig. I want ADC, one day, so i dont have to worry about plugs and keeping up with what works best for what, but what i have now is stable, i have enough plugs and power to get by, and i'll wait until i can get a system, sell mine and make the money back quick.

i do like the idea of 5k more in outboard. PT is really mostly a tape machine for me, with the benefit of plugs for mojo.
Old 21st January 2010
LMS
Lives for gear

btw,
anyone have an archive of troubleshooting pt 5.1.3?

like what items to trash for best performance.

thanks
Old 17th June 2011
Here for the gear

help me figure out what to do..

I HAVE A MIX SYSTEM AND I AM PUTTING IN A NEW STUDIO IN CHATTANOGA TN .SHOULD I KEEP MY OLD TDM SYSTEM AND BUY NEW CONVERTERS [I NEED 24 TRACKS] OR TRADE IT IN FOR A NATIVE HD24 SYSTEM...$1695.00 WHAT KIND OF CONVERTERS SHOULD I GET..I MIX IN THE BOX...WHAT ELSE DO I NEED ?A CLOCK? MIC PRES IN THE CONVERTERS...HAVE TO HAVE GREAT DRUM SOUND..THANKS BERNIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchadstopherhuez View Post
i still run a MIX TDM rig with 4 cards. its a KILLER rig. i mix mainly on my console...but still use a fair amount of ITB plugins.

as far as i know the last version of PT that you can run on the MIX TDM cards is 6.1 which can run under OSx. i still run my rig on OS 9...its SUPER stable.

if you do go for a mix system...i would suggest getting better converters than the 888's. i have a combination of apogee ad8000, crane song, and lavry.

i do NOT believe that you can run melodyne on a mix rig..i could be wrong.

the advantages that a mix rig gives you over an LE is ZERO latency for tracking. more tracks, and just a super solid system.

i have a digi 002 LE rig as well...and sometimes use it for mixing when i am TOTALLY in the box, as i love alot of the newer plugs (waves api, chandler, etc.) that i cannot run on my mix rig.

for tracking....my mix rig smokes any LE system in my opinion. no latency....easy to setup headphone mixes....and just SOLID. it can only do 44/48...however...so if you need to work at 96+...you are better off going LE or getting an HD rig if you want to stay in protools land.

good luck with it.

i see mix rigs ALL the time for CHEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAPPPPP !!!

pick up a few apogee ad8000's and you got a killer rig.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 12th February 2014
Lives for gear

What is this talk about 0 latency for tracking? I've never used PT before. Is there no latency because your computer CPU offloads the conversion jobs to the DSP chips on the card or something?
Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is there no latency because your computer CPU offloads the conversion jobs to the DSP chips on the card or something?
Yes, that is basically correct.

Fun to work on an HD/MIX rig for sure!
Sounds silly, but I would still consider a MIX rig if the configuration and price were right...

Old 13th February 2014
Lives for gear

Price? Configuration I can understand, but for $500 you'll have a G4 Mac and a Mix system. Sounds good to me!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search