The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Electro Voice Cobalt C04 opinions Dynamic Microphones
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Electro Voice Cobalt C04 opinions

Hey everyone....just curious if anyone here owns or uses the Cobalt C04 mic from E/V it's basically an SM57 clone.

They are BOGO for $50 a pair at all the popular retailers. Just wondering if they'd be worth getting a pair or two or if I should just pass.
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

I guess these aren't a savvy investment then if no one can comment on them. Perhaps that's the reason they are BOGO.
Old 19th August 2008
I'm not famliar with them. Buy one and give us an update!
Old 19th August 2008
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

perhaps I should go ahead and do it it'd only be $10 out of pocket to get a pair since I have a $40 store credit at guitar center

I mean I've never had a bad experience with an E/V mic in the past. I know the cobalt series may not be as good as the RE and N/DYM stuff but I'm sure the sound would be about on par with an SM57 in the terms of quality.

hell I could use them as spot mics for my toms to save the dough of buying a couple of 57s. Cuz I can't even get two 57's used for $50 let alone new.

Who says they'll need to be useful for much else at that price? If I get them I will definitely let everyone know how they are.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

ok I should be seeing the 4 mics for $100 tomorrow. I figured I'd go ahead and get 4 I could use them as makeshift tom mics till I can afford to really build my mic locker.

I will record clips after I get them and then post them here. For this shootout I'll do snare drum, kick, guitar cab between a 57 and the Co4.
Old 16th March 2009
Gear Head

So, how'd they go?
Old 16th March 2009
Lives for gear

decent but nothing special....I ended up selling em and picked up a couple of e609
Old 17th March 2009
Here for the gear

I have one that I paid way to much for. I find it to be be very bland definitly not a 57 replacement. The CO9 is a bit more useful. My sax player uses one live and it sounds good.
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

I got a pair for Christmas. Still haven't used them for drums (I've heard they work in a pinch). That proximity effect is pretty bad. Tried em on vocals, as expected, nothing great. Sounded OK for a guitar amp. Sounded OK at the 12th fret on an acoustic. Nothing too amazing but for the low cost I'm not disappointed. I'm waiting to try them on drums because all the happy reviewers I've read were using them on snare or as spots on toms. Can't wait to try them there, although I'm not expected super results. They are pretty cheap after all =)
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Cobalt mags are a way for the manufacturer to save money instead of using real N/DYM. Cheaper mags = cheaper sound, so why bother really?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
Cobalt mags are a way for the manufacturer to save money instead of using real N/DYM. Cheaper mags = cheaper sound, so why bother really?
Mags?
Old 5th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torea View Post
Mags?
mags = magnets
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboJets View Post
mags = magnets
Ah, thanks.
Old 3rd January 2012
Here for the gear

I Have to differ with the experts on the C09

Been using them for a few years and put them above the 57 and Audix i5 in terms of honest reproduction and performance on lead, rhythm or snare. Although there are much better mics at a higher price points, I have to give the prize to the EV C09 in the all-rounder dynamics department. I guess if EV had put a $199 price tag on them and hyped them up they would have gotten rave reviews. I'd suggest making side by side objective blind testing and see how they fare. Being a guy who wants to do my own colors on the board with a minimum of inbound colouration, I find the C09 to maintain credible consistency in use and on the scope. I am not a flag waver for electro-voice, but have never known the company to look for "cheap" compared to those who embrace and peddle the boatloads of Chinese crap that has permeated what was once a fairly honest microphone market in terms of accurate reproduction.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

I recently sold an old Cobalt 5. Sounded like absolute junk, IMHO.
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

As far as I'm concerned, the best 57/58 clones out there are GLS ES-57/58 mics which retail for around $30 each. They hold up well when compared to Shure mics.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search