The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 8 channel preamp under $1000? Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Head

Best 8 channel preamp under $1000?

Hey

I'm looking to buy an all round 8 channel mic pre for under $1000.

I'll be using it for mainly DI/ guitar recording (all round rock/ pop kind of genres, nothing too heavy or soft), I'll also be using it through an SM7B for indie rock vocals. Occasionally I will also use all 8 channels to record drums with.

Any recommendations for any good 8 channel pre's in this price range?

Andy
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kYd View Post
Hey

I'll be using it for mainly DI/ guitar recording (all round rock/ pop kind of genres, nothing too heavy or soft), I'll also be using it through an SM7B for indie rock vocals. Occasionally I will also use all 8 channels to record drums with.

Andy
Used PreSonus M-80?....Good luck
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Focusrite Octopre
Old 18th August 2008
I've got the Octopre LE with ADAT. It's got nice solid preamps.

Do you really need eight channels though?
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Performance wise I think you'll be hard pressed to find something that beats Line Audio 8MP

I got one on order myself to complement an Earthworks 1024.

/Peter
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
I've got the Octopre LE with ADAT. It's got nice solid preamps.

Do you really need eight channels though?
Yes, cause I will need to record drums every now and again (and the cheap mixer interface I have at the moment isn't very good quality)

Andy
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Guru

Mackie 800R. Try to get a B-stock for around $800.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

You may also want to check out the Mackie Onyx 800r.

It has 8 pretty decent Onyx mic pres, plus a number of other very usefull features, such as....
- direct ins and outs on DB25s
- variable input impedence on two channels
- mid-side matrix on two channels
- decent sounding DIs on two channels
- usable 24bit/192kHz A/D converters via Firewire interface
- AES/EBU, SPIDF and ADAT optical I/O

All in a one rack-space format... and all for under $1000

BTW... don't be phased by the Mackie-bashers here... this is a decent unit.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

nice....you beat me to it Kafka
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Head

I like the look of the Mackie Onyx and the Octopre- the Mackie is slightly above budget, but I might go for it.

Would you need to get an ADAT card installed before I get the Mackie? I currently don't have one at the moment.

Andy

Edit: Don't worry, worked it out
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Head

Ashly mm508 / mx508
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Head

Never heard of the make before- does it sound good?

Andy
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Altec 1678a is pretty good. I got a Jim Williams modded version for around $400 of eBay.

It's really a mixer, but unlike modern rack mixer, it's got 8 line outs.
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Head

Thanks, but I've already got a budget mixer- I just need a seperate dedicated preamp.

Andy
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like the look of the Mackie Onyx and the Octopre- the Mackie is slightly above budget, but I might go for it.

Would you need to get an ADAT card installed before I get the Mackie? I currently don't have one at the moment.

Andy

Edit: Don't worry, worked it out
Would it not be better to choose from a performance perspective than on looks?

/Peter
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Head

what I meant by looks (I don't care at all what it looks like), but thanks for the concern (you should be if i meant that )

Andy
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
Would it not be better to choose from a performance perspective than on looks?

/Peter

The Line is the only thing mentioned so far that's better than the Mackie 800 (although the M80 is probably pretty close). I miss mine and kind of wish I still had it because it sounded GREAT~!

The Line doesn't have DI inputs though, and it sounds like the OP is going to need one or two at times.

So consider my vote another one in the Onyx 800R column.
Old 18th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjazz View Post
The Line is the only thing mentioned so far that's better than the Mackie 800 (although the M80 is probably pretty close). I miss mine and kind of wish I still had it because it sounded GREAT~!

The Line doesn't have DI inputs though, and it sounds like the OP is going to need one or two at times.

So consider my vote another one in the Onyx 800R column.

Thanks for the advice- same thing I was thinking, I'll probably end up getting the mackie (unless I can't afford it, then I'll get the Octopre)

Andy
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

I'm trying an open-box Audient ASP008 I got for $1k and the M-Audio 2626. If neither of those suffice I will try the Mackie and if they all can't cut it then I'll hafta bite the bullet and pick up a couple 3124s or something.
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordZilla View Post
- usable 24bit/192kHz A/D converters via Firewire interface
Actually, via ADAT. There's no Firewire on the 800R.

It definitely hits a price/performance/features sweet spot.
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
I'm trying an open-box Audient ASP008 I got for $1k and the M-Audio 2626. If neither of those suffice I will try the Mackie and if they all can't cut it then I'll hafta bite the bullet and pick up a couple 3124s or something.
hey peeder!

keep us posted along the way.

Old 20th August 2008
Gear Maniac

I heard the Presonus DigiMax FS sounds really nice
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

I have two Presonus digimax Fs linked togother and in this price range, there is no competitors. Very flexible preamp, because it has a lot of in's and out's, great converters (much better than in firestudio) and good, clean pre's. Even clock is surprisingly great. Minuses - preamps are tad sterile sounding and have only 50db gain, but i never had problems with that.
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Addict

8 pres for 1000

Is that ASP audient 8 pres within the budget?? Think it might be a tad over but hey...Its got to be a top 8 mic pre...and for the money! serious contender...
Those Onyx pres get a lot of respect..
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolo View Post
Is that ASP audient 8 pres within the budget?? Think it might be a tad over but hey...Its got to be a top 8 mic pre...and for the money! serious contender...
Those Onyx pres get a lot of respect..

The Audient is not usually that inexpensive. I think I paid somewhere around $1300 for mine, used.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear
I had a Studio Projects SP828 for a few years. Very good. I could only hear a difference between that and my Sytek when I used gain-hungry mics like ribbons or my RE20. It has a lot of features, including DI outputs.

Two 4-channel Syteks used at about $650 each would only be slightly over budget. Then you'd have little reason to ever upgrade. At least for a long time anyway.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Yes the one I'm getting does not have the digital card...I'm hoping it has room for the SMUX card...if it doesn't I have a tough decision....but at least I will be able to hear the preamps.

AND THE FAN on the side.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
Yes the one I'm getting does not have the digital card...I'm hoping it has room for the SMUX card...if it doesn't I have a tough decision....but at least I will be able to hear the preamps.

AND THE FAN on the side.
The fan is a little on the noisy side.

Two things I *really* disliked about the Audient though:

1) no power button! WTF?

2) faceplate is structurally weak and not really connected to the chassis. If you don't have it sitting directly on top of another piece of gear it will bend and warp over time. As such, the box itself will sag towards the rear side. I always sat mine directly on top of my HD24 once I realized this...

It gets hotter than hell too, but I suppose that's par for the course.

Everything else about it I really liked...

As for the SMUX card, I know there is an Audient rep (Steve Flower) on this board who could answer that question. I believe the older versions cannot be retrofitted though - it can only take the stock digital card. Apparently there was a design change somewhere along the line? So hopefully yours is a newer ASP008...
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah I asked him and the start serial number for SMUX was 180721, made in "April" (I presume 2008?).

Anything that heats up a room or has a fan in it should have a front-panel power switch.

Anyway since I got such a screaming deal I thought I'd give it a chance. Major strikes against it already, but if it is worth it, then OK. It's "just for drums" for me anyway.
Old 18th September 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hey

Andy

Presonus FireStudio had me quite surprised... best I've heard under 1G with 8 pres.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search