The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best 8 channel preamp under $1000? Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslevin View Post
And the answer is still ... Yamaha MLA8.
I wouldn't necessarily dispute this, except the OP stated his use would be mainly DI/guitar recording. The Yamaha doesn't have DI.

So the answer is actually still Onyx 800R based on his needs.

If we say straight up microphone preamps and nothing else, the Yamaha and the Line Audio are probably better choices (I've owned both and liked them both a lot).
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnjazz View Post
I wouldn't necessarily dispute this, except the OP stated his use would be mainly DI/guitar recording. The Yamaha doesn't have DI.

So the answer is actually still Onyx 800R based on his needs.
Heh ... nice catch ... but you can get the MLA8 and a Countryman DT85 for $700.

Or you can get the MLA8 and a genuinely ass-kicking Radial JDI for $800.

Or you could get the MLA8 and a Little Labs Redeye — both a very nice DI and a great reamp box — for $800.

Hell, you could get both the JDI and the Redeye and still spend less than the Mackie. And that is money truly well spent.

JSL
Old 7th October 2008
Lives for gear

for the money get a used mackie 1640 onyx - if lucky will have a firewire card with it.

2 DI's, 16 pre's -great eq
Old 7th October 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamberth View Post
Yamaha MLA-8. Eight of the preamps from the i88x. Very good. $550. Individual HPF, Pad and Phantom power. XLR input only. DB8 outs.
I use this too. I also have Octopre but I think Yamaha is much more better even it is cheaper.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

I'm liking the 800r so far...

The Onyx pre is very much in the Mackie house sound, but it's better than the earlier variants. Full and mostly even with a veil. The feature set of the Audient at less than half price, and I think the Onyx pre may even be a touch better...

Haven't done any sort of exhaustive test but everything works OK. Nice that the ADAT out lets me get rid of the 2626 analog section altogether if I want to...but I ought to test to see what sounds best of course.
Old 15th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I'm very curious about this one. Let us know!
Hi!

Here are some quick and dirty test files including 8MP.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...-cm3-mp3s.html

/Peter
Old 16th October 2008
Lives for gear

Used DIGI pre? I really like those things. Super clean. Switchable Impedance. filters. 2 DI inputs on the front. Remote control. It has a grace like sound. Never compared side by side but it always reminds me of the grace stuff I have used.
Old 10th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiop View Post
I received my 8MP and as soon as I have tested it I will report back.

/Peter
I usually try to keep my word! :-)

Some loop testfiles with Line Audio 8MP.

Test Line Audio 8MP + Aurora 8

/Peter
Old 11th February 2009
Here for the gear

If you are up to a little DIY you can get a SCA rack with 8 T15s for $1022. No DI but if you could make due with 7 preamps you could add the DI module for a total of $1012.

If DIY is not for you then I would go with the Mackie. I have been using a 1640 for location work and I am impressed with the sound.
Old 16th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeder View Post
The feature set of the Audient at less than half price, and I think the Onyx pre may even be a touch better....
Damn... the 800R is 1200 euro's in Europe and the Audient 008 ADAT/AES is 1285 euro's.

I'm contemplating getting 1 or 2 8-channel pre's to go with an Alesis HD24 for location recording...so far, the Digimax FS still seems nice, but lacks the HPF's, etc.
Old 16th October 2009
Gear Addict

A little of the beaten track but...

Loving my Steinberg MR816csx. The Yamaha pres are wonderful. Selling for 1,000 bucks with the current deal going on...and it is MORE than just eight preamps.
Old 17th October 2009
Here for the gear

mackie 800r all the way. nothing more versatile under 1k with 8 channels. i see them for 800 for the most part which makes them the best preamp for 100 eeeeasy. heck better than anything 500 per channel.

God I hate the presonus sound....

You will find a ton of people really like the onyx preamps. Completely different from the 'old' 'sterile' preamps in the old 8bus desk.

Just my vote!
Old 17th October 2009
+ 1 on the Line Audio 8MP

I have both the 8MP and the OMP (older version that doesn't have the hi pass feature). It sounds great and to my ears it sounds much much better than the Octopre LE that I had.
Old 26th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknak87 View Post

You will find a ton of people really like the onyx preamps. Completely different from the 'old' 'sterile' preamps in the old 8bus desk.

Just my vote!
They'd better! Gawd, those old Mackie pre's were sterile. Pretty close to those XDR pre's from Behringer at the time, only with a bit less noise.
Old 26th October 2009
Gear Maniac

I'll add in a vote to the 800r.

I'll throw out the ART Tubefire. 8 channels valve, Lowpass/pad on each, 2 HiZ inputs, but no ADAT. Also, 4-channel phantom switching (lame). But, sounds really good on drums.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search