The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RIP MXL 960 -- Welcome Genesis Condenser Microphones
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

RIP MXL 960 -- Welcome Genesis

Well, it would appear that my much loved MXL 960 has been discontinued.

Except that now MXL offers the Genesis. For 4X as much money. And a Mullard. Maybe more... I don't know. But it sure LOOKS familiar.

MXL 960
http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic...960/mxl960.htm

Genesis
http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic...IS/GENESIS.htm

Last edited by BudgetMC; 12th August 2008 at 02:49 AM.. Reason: Now with visual aids!
Old 12th August 2008
Jai guru deva om

They've really talked this thing up a while ago...then no more chatter...I guess now they're getting close to release? Hmm......

War
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

They had a problem with the carrying cases on the first shipment; that's the reason for the delay. I'm hoping to test the Genesis against a 960 this weekend.
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
I'm hoping to test the Genesis against a 960 this weekend.
Can't wait to hear what you think of the comparison...
Old 12th August 2008
Lives for gear

First Look - MXL Genesis vs MXL 960

I'm happy to report that the Genesis and 960 are VERY different on the inside. The Genesis is NOT simply a 960 with a different paint job.

Different circuit boards, components, tube mount, and build style.

Yes, the headbasket, body shell, and end assemblies are identical between the Genesis and 960, but I'd do exactly the same thing if I were MXL.

I'll be getting into the capsules later today (I hope), but from the outside, at a quick glance, I think they are slightly different.

And yes, pictures will be coming.

So, after my first quick "look-see", my first impression is that the outsides are identical, but inside, it's a whole 'nother story.
Old 13th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Hmm...I wouldn't mind a member of Genesis in my Stu-stu-studio.

But why oh why does the self noise have to go up to -18?
Old 14th August 2008
Gear Addict

This mic has my curiosity up as well !! Love to hear what Harvey has to say about the beast....

DB
Old 14th August 2008
Lives for gear

Talking My question is...

Why is it so hard for a company like MXL to source components in the USA from somebody like Peluso??

The guy sells his own capsules to other manufacturers like Pearlman, so is it a conflict of interest to buy his capsules in bulk and slap them in MXLs right at MXL in California?

Why is this such a big hurdle for anyone?

Maybe the scope of business but to me I think of it this way.

John makes a decent amount of money doing what he does but he can't corner the market because of his boutique approach.

On the other hand selling his capsules to a company like MXL which if I understand he used to work with would present us with a two fold scenario.

A - A huge increase in mic performance from MXL, like industry affecting.

B - John's profits will bounce a little seeing as how his own mics might undersell a little, but he would gain it back in all the capsules he's selling. 6 of his capsules is the cost of one of his microphones. Obviously they aren't quite equal, but still I think it would be easier for him to sell 10,000 capsules to a company like MXL or Nady or Avant for that matter than to just sell 10,000 mics in one shot for a year.

To me its a no brainer. I do understand the ethics behind it are at stake as well as some possible conflicts of interest but at the same time those conflicts of interest are only there for the affected parties and not the consumer.

Plus if both parties (Peluso and MXL) are in agreement then everybody has already put their issues to bed.

Maybe you can't sell MXL mics where you sell Peluso and vice versa??

I just think that an off the shelf mic besides a 1200 dollar solution would sell a bundle.

Look at it this way.

You could take any MXL mic like the V69ME for example. Sell it with a Peluso capsule installed and shift the cost to the customer. You know what? If you figured in 75 bucks for the 10 minutes of labor to install the mic and 225 bux for the capsule itself, you would still only have a 600 dollar microphone.

But ONE HELL OF A MICROPHONE!

So why is this not already a done deal?

MXL is not a quality capsule manufacturer. They make decent mic bodies, sometimes the electronics are a little skimpy, but for the most part they are good right up to the capsule and possibly the mic transformer.

Half the damn time with a better capsule, the MXL with their cheap transformers and tubes still sound so good in comparison that nobody bothers with any further upgrades.

So I like the new mic and how it looks and all but there needs to be some lines drawn in the sand here. What's the point of spending 300 bucks or more on a mic that has a potentially crappy capsule when you could buy and build with at least a quality capsule at the heart?

Just curious.

I'm currently awaiting my MXL 9000. I'm slapping an Oktava MK319 capsule in there along with an upgrade to a 1000pf capacitor and possibly the output transformer.

Peace
Illumination
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

The problem is that there are plenty of mics in the price range that you mentioned that are just fine, or a lot better. I personally would not buy an MXL mic for $600, ever. A really nice OktavaMod edition MKL-2500 I would bet will kill any $600 MXL tube mic with whatever capsule you want. And their cheap electronics and transformer will still limit whatever the new capsule brings.

Also, MXL makes their mics for a specific pricepoint. If they suddenly make a $600 mic, they are now competing for a market already dominated by Audio-Technica, Rode, etc.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

The problem I see is that some people are quick to dismiss anything that comes from China, unless it's dirt cheap, and even then, they blast it for being dirt cheap. I haven't been there, but I hear it's a pretty big place, and some of the people there are pretty smart. Yeah, they're on a "learning curve", but I think they catch on pretty quick.

Right now, we have a Genesis in Studio A and I'm gonna give it as fair a test as I possibly can. The inside build quality looks good, they've mounted the tube upside down to make the capsule leads very short, and so far, I'm impressed. I'll know more about the sound this weekend. Till I actually test it, I'm keeping an open mind.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Look at Studio projects trying to get into the Mid-End market with the CS series mics,
Not much of a success I belive.

Im sure they sound great never the less.
Old 15th August 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Harvey..

Quote:
The problem I see is that some people are quick to dismiss anything that comes from China, unless it's dirt cheap, and even then, they blast it for being dirt cheap. I haven't been there, but I hear it's a pretty big place, and some of the people there are pretty smart. Yeah, they're on a "learning curve", but I think they catch on pretty quick.

Right now, we have a Genesis in Studio A and I'm gonna give it as fair a test as I possibly can. The inside build quality looks good, they've mounted the tube upside down to make the capsule leads very short, and so far, I'm impressed. I'll know more about the sound this weekend. Till I actually test it, I'm keeping an open mind.
But do see where I'm coming from though?

I totally agree with you as far as your points in previous threads about mic technique etc...but when you consider that MXL will probably sell this mic for about 400 bucks or so, doesnt it make you wonder why they don't do the upgraded version?

It would NOT sell IF it wasn't slutty. Sure MXL is always associated with cheap because they ARE cheap.

But some of the upgrades to improve their mics are ridiculously inexpensive.

A 2.50 part is what it takes to make sure some of their mics don't die on your (the 1000pf capacitor off the capsule). Yeah they went cheap on it, but for 2.50 you eliminate the problem.

A person could blame their "cheap electronics" on everything, but the fact remains that if you give some of these MXL mics the shot in the arm they need with transformer upgrades and better capsules, most people would be flat out fooled if you told them that you had a different mic when you really had a modded MXL.

I threw a CEK12 capsule in an MXL990 and nobody knows that from listening to the vocals or the overheads I've recorded with that mic. Besides the capsule nothing else except the grill (remove the inner mesh) was changed in the mic.

I just think it would great for them to usher in a new era of way better mics to the general public that would still be affordable.

Come on 600 bucks is not expensive for musical equipment. A Fender Strat costs more with stock pickups or a Mexican Jazz Bass.

As far as better or just as good mics for 600 or even 500 brand new, I havent seen that many.

There are some sleepers out there, dont get me wrong, but I doubt that they would give a beefed up MXL a run for its money. Especially with John Peluso's CEK12, PK47 and PK67 capsules out in circulation. Even without the transformer swapped out, worlds better than most things floating around.

Sure you can get anything used at whatever price but at your local Guitar Center?
Hell no. Every mic I've seen in the glass case at guitar center can't touch one good modded MXL with an upgraded capsule. Its good and bad that we need to find people with expertise in electronics in order for the common guy to get a better than average mic.
Especially when there are so many obvious solutions to some of the cheap crap that we have to choose from.

Peace
Illumination
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Frankly, I think the upgrades you suggest would just confuse and irritate people.

For $600, you also expect consistency and reliability. Rightly or wrongly, neither quality is associated with the MXL brand by people who can afford mics that cost more than $300.

You'd have a tough time getting away with putting a Lamborghini engine in a Kia, too.

People get an idea of a brand, and that's that. Neumann means one thing, AKG another, and it doesn't seem to matter what the mics sound like.

According to the laws of entropy, it's easier to destroy the marquee value of a name than to push it upwards into the prestige category.

Just keep on doing what you're doing and take joy in it.

3rd&4thT
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Well if you want a chinies mic with better capsules,quality control and decent electronics check them out
Lauten Audio - High-End Professional Studio Microphones

But expect to pay alot more then your avarage chinies mic.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Chinese mics with "better" capsules ...

dont get u a result like i'm describing. I havent heard to many good things about lauten mics. But they might work for the average person who needs a bright mic. I think that mxl will be perceived how they let people see them. Most people will see peluso and get intrigued by that alone. Add in a cinemag and you win over a good deal of low end slutz who could avoid diy and get a warrantied product. We dont agree on this and thats ok. I just know that mxl and others are lacking in the capsules dept. It would better serve us and them to revisit the capsules for their more expensive mics. Leave the cheap lines there but dont mark up the price of the same old same with a new paint job. Plus they already name dropped the mullard tube so go to the next step.

Peace
Illumination
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Addict

I am going to keep an open mind and wait to see what other people have to say about the MXL Genesis who have actually used it, as well as hear one in use myself. I have to admit that I am a mid level to bottom feeder, but I have heard some damn fine recordings
made with lower end stuff.

David B
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Lets put things in major perspective.

The Genesis STREETS not MSRP at $595 USD, you can go check for yourself.

This thing is not priced like a MXL 960 at $200.

So again, now that are done pontificating about this that and the third, again I will present the "ridiculous" notion that if MXL is going to charge MSRP of 799 (street at 595) for a microphone that they at least put a reputable capsule and transfomer in there. And not a potentially disappointing 797 capsule.

They can mount the tube sideways. I don't think its going to matter if they have a nice plain jane capsule in there.

For that kind of dough Harvey and others could have someone gut an MXL960 completely of cheaper parts and refurb it from top to bottom with components of their choosing and wind up with a much better mic.

I'm sorry but so far some of you are plain outright mistaken. This thing is expensive compared to any other mic that MXL makes and I would be expecting alot more from them.

Hopefully Harvey will find a suprise in there??

Me personally, I think you would be better off sending an MXL to Peluso for "repair," pick any capsule that you'd like, ask him for a transformer upgrade and you would end up spending about the same amount of money for a much better mic in the end.

But of course "We'll see."

BTW now that people know the Genesis costs 600 dollars how does that affect their perspective on it and the build quality or sourcing of parts for the unit??

DO you expect some legit stuff in there?? Capsule? Components? QC??

Peace
Illumination
Old 16th August 2008
Gear Guru

It's been exposed on other threads (wish I could find it,but I can't) that the Peluso capsules are manufactured in China and only "tuned" here in the US. Obviously the "tuning" aspect is the most important thing - not who makes the metalwork. It's obviously includes a "hand made" aspect to it as well. So if MXL can source it out in China, so much the better for them. I doubt seriously that Peluso could or WOULD supply the hundreds if not thousands of capsules necessary for a MXL mic release. That said, there are people out there that can make those Chinese capsules sing. Maybe MXL pulled it off. Who knows? The proof is in trying one..... Having the name "Peluso" on it means nothing to me. If it sounds good, it sounds good.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Well...
I'm sure they can produce very high quality stuff,but the main issue is Mass producing it!

Even though the same matirials and machines are available for both Germans and Chanies the first produce much better work.
Capsules demand extreme precision and you can see\hear for your own eyes\ears that even with todays computer driven machines (which relay much less on skilled human operator) they are still not great or do not compere to what we percive as high quality capsules (Nuemann's KK & AKG\s CK capsules for example).

They do seem to be getting better and better at this thumbsup
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

Talking I cry bullsh*t and raise you a fib..

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
It's been exposed on other threads (wish I could find it,but I can't) that the Peluso capsules are manufactured in China and only "tuned" here in the US. Obviously the "tuning" aspect is the most important thing - not who makes the metalwork. It's obviously includes a "hand made" aspect to it as well. So if MXL can source it out in China, so much the better for them. I doubt seriously that Peluso could or WOULD supply the hundreds if not thousands of capsules necessary for a MXL mic release. That said, there are people out there that can make those Chinese capsules sing. Maybe MXL pulled it off. Who knows? The proof is in trying one..... Having the name "Peluso" on it means nothing to me. If it sounds good, it sounds good.
I cry bull**** to that. If he doesn't get the entire thing as one complete unit shipped to him from China then the "Capsule" is not manufactured in China, only a part of it.

I cry bull**** to you saying its been EXPOSED when he has fostered that information before. It wasn't like the factory in China blew him in. You shouldn't present it like he's someone whose been exposed.

Anyone with a clue and who actually owns any Peluso stuff knows that his capsules are quality and while there is some controversy about how his stuff is made or if its close to the original, one thing is for certain: Peluso is quality. And despite the crap that swirls around him, he's got a solid customer base who are focused on his mics sounding great and being great.

Whether or not they are close to a U47 or a U67 is not important.

Plus, I think what he's doing is proof more than anything that he's not getting preassembled capsules and tweaking them. Because somebody in China would be getting it right.

So thanks for your little potshot at the guy but let's get back on track.

He has the capsules here in the US which would increase the performance gains of MXL mics. As far as the whole China this USA that, well folks if the mics are upgraded here then that means jobs in the USA.

That's all. Maybe there should be an MXL custom shop or something.

But simply calling Peluso's capsules tuned Chinese capsules is giving peope a VERY false impression.

I use them and I have yet to find one Chinese capsule that puts me in the ballpark. So let's cut the bull****.

The Genesis mic is 600 bucks.

As far as why he wouldn't supply someone with capsules, then maybe he should stop selling them to the general public??

Pearlman already uses his capsule in one of their mics.

The door is already open.

Anyway this discussion has gotten ridiculous.

I think Peluso could care less who gets his capsules it more about who recognizes they are a worth addition to a mic.

I continue to use and enjoy them.

But I refuse to pay 600 dollars for a "stock" MXL mic. I saw the guts of the Genesis and nothing special is in there. Maybe a shorter run for the tube etc...but the caps are the same cheap sh*t etc...Nothing suprising.

Peace
Illumination
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
I cry bull**** to that. If he doesn't get the entire thing as one complete unit shipped to him from China then the "Capsule" is not manufactured in China, only a part of it.

I cry bull**** to you saying its been EXPOSED when he has fostered that information before. It wasn't like the factory in China blew him in. You shouldn't present it like he's someone whose been exposed.

Anyone with a clue and who actually owns any Peluso stuff knows that his capsules are quality and while there is some controversy about how his stuff is made or if its close to the original, one thing is for certain: Peluso is quality. And despite the crap that swirls around him, he's got a solid customer base who are focused on his mics sounding great and being great.

Whether or not they are close to a U47 or a U67 is not important.

Plus, I think what he's doing is proof more than anything that he's not getting preassembled capsules and tweaking them. Because somebody in China would be getting it right.

So thanks for your little potshot at the guy but let's get back on track.

He has the capsules here in the US which would increase the performance gains of MXL mics. As far as the whole China this USA that, well folks if the mics are upgraded here then that means jobs in the USA.

That's all. Maybe there should be an MXL custom shop or something.

But simply calling Peluso's capsules tuned Chinese capsules is giving peope a VERY false impression.

I use them and I have yet to find one Chinese capsule that puts me in the ballpark. So let's cut the bull****.

The Genesis mic is 600 bucks.

As far as why he wouldn't supply someone with capsules, then maybe he should stop selling them to the general public??

Pearlman already uses his capsule in one of their mics.

The door is already open.

Anyway this discussion has gotten ridiculous.

I think Peluso could care less who gets his capsules it more about who recognizes they are a worth addition to a mic.

I continue to use and enjoy them.

But I refuse to pay 600 dollars for a "stock" MXL mic. I saw the guts of the Genesis and nothing special is in there. Maybe a shorter run for the tube etc...but the caps are the same cheap sh*t etc...Nothing suprising.

Peace
Illumination
You can cry all you want, but it doesn't change the facts.

First, I never said the peluso capsules WEREN'T first rate. Just that they were made in China, and tweaked by Peluso in the US. He is not the only one tweaking Chinese made capsules in the US/Canada. He is however, very good at it and has a proven track record and large line of mics.

This was pretty much nailed down a few months ago - in public. With the dealers finally admitting it as well.

Wish I could find the thread, but I'm too busy right now to search. I'm sure you can find it if you're interested or someone else will point to it. Or, why not call Peluso and ask for yourself. Like I said, I don't care where they're made. It all boils down to the sound. There's nothing sacred about the Neumann, Peluso or MXL name IMO. The proof is in the sound. End of story. Maybe you should apply for a job at MXL. Sounds like you have some good ideas on running the company.......
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Talking How about this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
You can cry all you want, but it doesn't change the facts.

First, I never said the peluso capsules WEREN'T first rate. Just that they were made in China, and tweaked by Peluso in the US. He is not the only one tweaking Chinese made capsules in the US/Canada. He is however, very good at it and has a proven track record and large line of mics.

This was pretty much nailed down a few months ago - in public. With the dealers finally admitting it as well.

Wish I could find the thread, but I'm too busy right now to search. I'm sure you can find it if you're interested or someone else will point to it. Or, why not call Peluso and ask for yourself. Like I said, I don't care where they're made. It all boils down to the sound. There's nothing sacred about the Neumann, Peluso or MXL name IMO. The proof is in the sound. End of story. Maybe you should apply for a job at MXL. Sounds like you have some good ideas on running the company.......
Go and buy a Peluso capsule like myself and others have before you read up on internet forums about this or that regarding them?

Since you want to reference other threads...in a nutshell PART of the capsules he sells get made in China.

He does not get off the shelf capsules and turn a few screws on them to tune them.

If he ASSEMBLES the parts that make up a complete Capsule HERE then he is not selling Capsules that are made in China. That would make them MADE in the USA.

Here's a quote from Front End Audio...(As for asking John Peluso I have. When I bought my capsules from him and had him mod my mic I spoke with him at length about all the bull**** swirling.)

"Peluso CEK 89 Details
These capsules are made by Peluso Microphone Lab. They buy the metal work from China and then the sputtering and diaphragm work is done at their lab in the U.S. These are very nice capsules, with great frequency and transient response. These are of the finest quality, and with the costly machine shop work done in China, we can sell them at a fraction of the cost of a comparable German capsule."

This is taken right off Warren's site. Metal Work? You mean cutting metal circles and drilling holes in it??Making screws??

Yes the most important part of the capsule is who drilled the holes in it!??

Like I said, you didn't mention that he sells capsules that are MADE IN CHINA for the betterment of gearslutz.

I'm not crying, simply saying you're full of **** for spreading false truths.

If the whole damn thing was done in China then you'd have a point. But the fact remains the assembly/labwork/sputtering most important parts of the process are done in Virginia USA.

Tweaking capsules/tuning capsules is NOT what John is doing in the USA.

He may not be doing every single part of the process from scratch here but I respect his choices and at the same time look at criticisms like yours and laugh.

Do you own anything made by Peluso or anybody else that's TWEAKING capsules?

Ill shed light on something really quick on this whole OT debate.

BeezNeez and Peluso both repair damaged capsules. Do you think that they send those capsules to China to be gold sputtered??

If all one must do is tweak the same POS capsule that we get in our mics like MXL then please kind sir do shed some light on how to do it. I would love to get my eyeglasses screw out and turn some screws here and there on a stray 797 capsule since all we have to do is tune these suckers and they will sound like instant gold!

Back to on topic.

I don't have in interest in working for MXL. I will present for the last time in this thread that they are selling a 600 dollar microphone with the same components in there as their other mics. I simply wanted to point out that if we took the 960 and put into it some substantial upgrades you would wind up with a 600 mic that would crush alot of mics that are 600 dollars or 700 dollars for that matter.

Whether or not you agree that Peluso capsules are worth it (even though everything you said about them has nothing to do with whether or not they sound good at all) I mentioned them because it would be an easily recognizable name on gearslutz.com. If I mentioned Dale from 1000 Cows some people would not know who I was talking about. Plus Dale's M7 and Sony Capsules while great are not easily put into any of MXL's mics due to mounting reasons, you need special mounts to use his capsules.

An MXL 960 streets for 200 bucks. Add WHATEVER CAPSULE YOU WANT and upgrade the shotty capacitors and transformer. Choose Sowter, Lundahl, Cinemag, Altran, whomever you'd like to. You would wind up with about 600 dollars of microphone. But it would be nothing like the Genesis.

Here's another point. Does the Genesis have that lovely 2 or 3 ply grill like the other MXL mics? Looks to be that way. That's going to affect the sound of the mic. So one more thing that we have to do to clear up any high end haze on the microphone.

I just feel that within the last 3 or 4 years MXL would have done something about their capsules, instead of just raising the prices on the same old same.

But I digress folks. I'm getting an MXL 9000 on tuesday. I have a stray MK319 capsule that's in great shape. A cinemag transformer is going in there and I'm upgrading any capacitors that are underspecced. Of course the extra grill is getting ripped out too.

I wish you well and perhaps we'll get some audio clips at some point from Harvey to shed some light on this new microphone.

Peace
Illumination
Old 17th August 2008
Gear Guru

Let me state up front that I could really care less where the capsules are "made". If they sound good, they sound good. But there is an incredible hype and misconception about a lot of the Chinese products coming into the US, with a little "US tweaking" that are being branded as "made in the U S of A". Here's the quote by someone truly in the know:

Lets get things straight, john peluso has NEVER made a capsule in his whole life. He buys the pre drilled backplate from a chinese factory (the same factory that supplies all of the capsules for chinese mics) he then tensions a diaphram (from the same factory) and places it over the capsule backplates, he then attaches it with the chinese screws and ring. there is a big difference between building a capsule and assembling one. We can all stamp our name into something, but it doesn't mean that we made it.!!!!!!!!! I get so sick of people pretending to make great things and living off the schmucks that are willing to spend the cash. there isn't many companies that actually make something that isn't a copy or want to be. Sorry if i have been harsh but this one hits close to home. ben

If you're interested in finding out more about the whole story, you can contact the person who wrote that or read ONE of the threads:

serious question about chinese mics ..

If not, you can continue with blinders on. Doesn't matter one bit to me. The information's out there if you care to check it out. Good luck with the new mic and mods!

bp
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Talking WTF???

Oh my goodness you've blown John's cover!

Why don't you mention that you're quoting a competitor??

That guy is in the know because he used to sell Peluso microphones??

First you asked me to talk to John Peluso (which I have) then you use a competitor's quote as THE TRUTH??

Its known that Ben from BeezNeez who you quoted but didn't cite (only mentioning him as someone in the know, how is he your ace in the hole??) is a former distributor of Peluso mics and capsules in Australia.

Its also known he has an axe to grind.

As far as how he would know better what John Peluso does than any other dealer or distributor I have no clue where you surmised that.

But your source is beyond biased and if you read the WHOLE thread you cited, you will see that this guy's information is questionable.

Hmm guy starts own mic and capsule company, bashes former employer/client.
Sheep on internet forums take his word as gospel. Priceless.

The best part is how we have not heard ONE BeezNeez capsule nor have you any concrete evidence that John does NOTHING to make his capsules except conjecture on an internet forum.

Back to the MXL Genesis. I cry BUNK. Without a worthy capsule I'm not plunking 600 bucks on any mic. You won't see me buying any Rode mic ever again because of that. IF the mic was 150 dollars I might buy it just for looks and then gut the hell out of it. But I'm not paying 600 dollars for a mic full of cheap Japanese capacitors and a 5 dollar output transformer with a 5 dollar capsule and a 35 dollar tube. Ridiculous I say.

Again Harvey might like it but I would hope that we would be able to get a usable vocal tone out of a MXL mic on axis that costs 600 bucks and not have to rotate that sucker too far.

Cheap is cheap.

There is one or two decent capsules I've encountered from MXL, those were the V67 capsule and the (probably the same capsule??) capsule from the V76t.

Both of them are ok, alright. Removing the grill made them better, but the Peluso capsules are worlds apart better from them.

Peace
Illumination
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Back to the MXL Genesis. I cry BUNK. Without a worthy capsule I'm not plunking 600 bucks on any mic. You won't see me buying any Rode mic ever again because of that. IF the mic was 150 dollars I might buy it just for looks and then gut the hell out of it. But I'm not paying 600 dollars for a mic full of cheap Japanese capacitors and a 5 dollar output transformer with a 5 dollar capsule and a 35 dollar tube. Ridiculous I say.

Again Harvey might like it but I would hope that we would be able to get a usable vocal tone out of a MXL mic on axis that costs 600 bucks and not have to rotate that sucker too far.
I have looked inside the Genesis, and the build quality looked good. But, I haven't heard it yet, so I have no idea what it sounds like.

As I've said before, I try not to prejudge any piece of gear, based on either hype, country of origin, or the manufacturer's name.
Old 18th August 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Point well taken...We anxiously await.

Quote:
I have looked inside the Genesis, and the build quality looked good. But, I haven't heard it yet, so I have no idea what it sounds like.

As I've said before, I try not to prejudge any piece of gear, based on either hype, country of origin, or the manufacturer's name.
What the verdict is on this new mic. The suspense is killing us Harvey.

Peace
Illumination
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Nut

Cool MXL Genesis

First of all, let me state that I work for MXL/Marshall. So no ambiguity or cries of posting undercover.

The Genesis is available from stock now. One thing I should say though is that the press release stating that it was supplied in a flight case was incorrect. That erroneously got added by a third party press company. What is actually supplied is the microphone, in it's own wooden box, heavy duty shock mount, power supply and a complete set of Mogami Cables.

With reference to capsules, build quality etc, I don't believe it is my place to enter into these discussions within the forum, however, if anyone has any specific questions or comments they wish to share, feel free to contact me directly via email. [email protected] We actually do listen to feedback, and use constructive critisism as a means to constantly improve our product line.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

OpenReel,

Thanks for the info, that is much appreciated.

Any word on whether or not the 960 is being discontinued?
Old 20th August 2008
When are we gonna hear from someone who actually tried the microphone?!?!
Old 20th August 2008
Gear Nut

Mxl 960

You are most welcome.

There are no plans to discontinue the 960 at this time. It is a great sounding mic, and it continues to sell well.

For NorseHorse, I believe you will be hearing from people who have tried it soon. It is selling nicely and I am sure there will be relevant postings in the near future.

Oh, in response to illacov, we make our own capsules.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search