The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
RIP MXL 960 -- Welcome Genesis Condenser Microphones
Old 7th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Just curious, what do you consider these to be great on? I got them on a whim when they were on sale for $30 each at MF. I have been using them as cheap omnis for location recording sound for a student film, and like the results. In a church for a small recital they were "okay". I'm not particularly impressed, but I haven't had time to really try them out on a variety of sources. I was thinking about throwing them up as flankers for an orchestra gig this weekend, just to see what happens, but I'm not sure I want to bother.
Personally I'd never use them on an orchestra, but you gotta use what you got. The only use for them that I've been excited about is snare (top). I'll occasionally use them on a dull sounding HH, but I usually find HH's too brite anyway, so that a rarity. They sound "decent" on toms. Beyond that, I've yet to find a use for them - although I'm sure they'd be good on something else......
Old 7th September 2008
Lives for gear

Don't get me wrong, I have better stuff. I'll be using a pair of Earthworks SR-77s in ORTF for the main pair. I also have one Earthworks QTC-1 omni, which I will probably have up, but I'd like a stereo set of omnis for the low-end pickup.

Anyway, I will definitely try it out on snare/HH if I get a chance.
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Yo dr Bill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I have a 603, (acually sold those) a couple 604's and a couple 991's. the 604's are the heaviest and feel the best built. The 991's are right behind them, but of course the cap is not removeable and no pad or HPF, the 603's feel light and cheap by comparison.

On Snare or maybe Toms I can use these mics. Actually, on snare they were one of my favorite pics in a recent shootout. If they get anywhere close to an Ac. Gtr. I develop a nervous twitch and start to feel ill....

PS - I was thinking the same thing, so I actually weighed them on a scale. I'll try to find the weights for you if I can, but the 603's definately came out far lighter than the others.

PPS - Found it!!! Here you go....

According to my scale.....

Brand New 603 - Just under 3oz
Older 991 - 4.5 oz
Older 604 - Just over 5 oz
Bill have you owned the 991??

The cap screws right off!

Not a big deal but damn! It a screw on capsule. I have 3 capsules for that silly little mic because I modded a 990 and the stock 603, 604, 991 capsule is in there, threads and EVERYTHING, down to the little hex nut that completes the connection to fire the capsule.

Just clarifying.

All the panning did for me is show me that those damn mics are worlds apart.

And Harvey, not to be an asshole but Alex was technically right lol The Genesis truly does "sound,"more expensive

Yo Madguitrst what up!

The MXLs take those Russian capsules like a charm man!

I'm trying to get my buddy to use his dead 219 capsule aka 319 capsule in a mic mod.

And I agree, the Genesis sounds over the top, I mean Harvey has the right voice for the mic obviously but, I think you'd be handcuffed on that mic for female vocals. Might be cool for overheads though or FOK. Or for that matter you'd be handcuffed for guys with really essy voices. Of course one could always rotate the mic off axis and see what happens but well.........$600 and you still gotta rotate it? Damn I hate being so picky about small stuff but I gotta pass.

Hopefully the 960 will approach closer to 100 bucks this year and I'll buy one to mod with a PK47 capsule and some other upgrades. I like the shape of the mic, just not the capsule.

BTW Harvey, how much gain did you have to use on the 960 vs the Genesis? Just curious about if either mic was hotter before the preamp. I'm wondering if they messed around with transformer choices. Somehow the capsule seems very similar in both mics but there's a huge difference in curve between the mics and I could have sworn they were supposed to be similar or close. Gotta look at that graph again.

Peace
Illumination
Peace
Illumination
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by illacov View Post
Bill have you owned the 991??
Yes. Like I said.

Quote:
The cap screws right off!
Yes.

And...... ???
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Removable Cap??

Quote:
Yes. Like I said.

Yes.

And...... ???
Why did you say the cap ain't removable then??

Did you mean the 604? Can't be the 603.

You threw me for a loop there man. I thought I had a special 991 for a minute.

Peace
Illumination
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Harvey, not to be an asshole but Alex was technically right lol The Genesis truly does "sound,"more expensive".
Why would agreeing with Alex make you an asshole?

Quote:
BTW Harvey, how much gain did you have to use on the 960 vs the Genesis? Just curious about if either mic was hotter before the preamp.

Peace
Illumination
Alex was in the control room while I was out in the studio, so I didn't see how much gain he used on either mic. I'll ask him when I talk to him next.
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Comments/jokes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
Why would agreeing with Alex make you an asshole?

Alex was in the control room while I was out in the studio, so I didn't see how much gain he used on either mic. I'll ask him when I talk to him next.
Oh because it literally is more expensive. 200 vs 600, sounds "more" expensive.
Which is I found your son's comment ironic.

Oh btw Harvey, does the Genesis fill any real gaps in your mic collection? Meaning is it a "must" purchase for you? Or do you just like it but wouldn't buy it? Any real wow factor?? Vs other mics in your collection that cost about the same or are in the same price range??

I know for someone seeking the toppy mic for their locker you might recommend this mic, but does it stand above the other $600 range mics like the Rode K2, (I know you mentioned the Studio Projects T3), how about vs the Avant CV12?

I just listened to the clip again, I am darned curious to check out how these mics would sound with better transformers. Perhaps ones like Jensens (with the right ratio) that kind of let the audio pass thru unaffected (somewhat).

Peace
Illumination
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does the Genesis fill any real gaps in your mic collection? Meaning is it a "must" purchase for you? Or do you just like it but wouldn't buy it? Any real wow factor?? Vs other mics in your collection that cost about the same or are in the same price range??

I know for someone seeking the toppy mic for their locker you might recommend this mic, but does it stand above the other $600 range mics like the Rode K2, (I know you mentioned the Studio Projects T3), how about vs the Avant CV12?

Peace
Illumination
We're planniing on trying it out against the T3 and Avant next week. As to your question, yeah, I think it does have a place in our mic locker, even with all the other mics we have.
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Why did you say the cap ain't removable then??
Did I say that???? Must have been a short circuit in the old noggin'........
Old 8th September 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Its cool...

Quote:
Did I say that???? Must have been a short circuit in the old noggin'........
Do you still have those MXL SDCs?

I did the Gus Smalley Mod to the MXL 990 and it DEFINITELY changed the tone and performance of the mic, even with a way better capsule in there.

I think the noise level dropped a bit and the transients got a little faster on a grander scale to me.

The mod cost me less than 2 bucks in capacitors and 10 minutes of my time.

I haven't done my 991s yet, but I will soon.

I mean you already think they don't suit every need you'd use for an SDC for for a couple of bucks and some solder fumes you may be able to get these things into fightin shape!

Peace
Illumination
Old 8th September 2008
Gear Guru

I still have a couple of 991's and 604's. I have a couple of 990's as well, but they are relegated to doorstops. Actually I want to turn them into salt and pepper shakers!!!
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I still have a couple of 991's and 604's. I have a couple of 990's as well, but they are relegated to doorstops. Actually I want to turn them into salt and pepper shakers!!!
I think the 990 has the same itsy bitsy capsule the 603 has but in a LDC body? Just plain nasty.
Old 9th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgen View Post
I think the 990 has the same itsy bitsy capsule the 603 has but in a LDC body? Just plain nasty.
yeah, but they're going to make GREAT salt and pepper shakers after I mod them.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Man..

Quote:
yeah, but they're going to make GREAT salt and pepper shakers after I mod them.
I hate to see what you do with 2 dollar bills!!

Harvey you obviously have a place for the Genesis, please share with us what you envision using the mic on??

Perhaps mine ears have grown too spoiled by somewhat neutral yet accurately pleasing mics.

I'm curious where you'd throw this thing up??

Peace
Illumination
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Alex has been using the Genesis on the last five groups in Studio A. He says it's great for female vocals and a lot of male vocals. Other than the one test I did, I haven't used it on any sessions yet.
Old 9th September 2008
Lives for gear

Talking Keep us posted on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Gerst View Post
Alex has been using the Genesis on the last five groups in Studio A. He says it's great for female vocals and a lot of male vocals. Other than the one test I did, I haven't used it on any sessions yet.
I've only been testing my modded MXL 9000 on hip hop and r and b vocals and it sounds like instant old school to me. Kind of like glossy mids sort of, shellac?? So to speak. Definitely not going to work on every song contextually but, it should sound insane on overheads.

I have to do mockups of our drums for the fall, because we're tracking drums at a commercial studio in Upstate NY, so for the hell of it the MXL 9000 (with the Cinemag in place, plus all the other stuff) is gonna be the OH mic and my Peluso modded V76t is going to be the FOK mic. And I'll swap em from song to song (16 to be exact), just see which is better where

I'll have the Cinemag in there by week's end and I hope to get even better results with it!

Good to hear you're having success with it.

Peace
Illumination
Old 26th January 2010
Gear Addict

Give John peluso a call!

Call John, he"ll give you the full scoop. I did a couple years back and he'll tell you the lowdown. The capsule parts are pressed in China according to spec. They are shipped to Peluso Microphones where they are inspected, assembled, gold-sputtered and tested right here in the USA.
John is a pleasure to work with, very responsive (was a couple years ago, haven't contacted him lately.) and manufactures an outstanding product. I suggest people find out for themselves rather than blindly believe every post on GS. The Peluso mics/capsule are of very high (and consistent) quality!

cheers and respect

Last edited by B-sharp; 26th January 2010 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: errors
Old 5th March 2010
Lives for gear

Ok time to bring this thread back! I ordered this mic after missing out on a mic that I wanted just becuase I wanted. I do not have a need for it right now but I have a fetish for budget equipment with a great bang!

Sounds like this mic is just that. More reports on it please.......Mine does not come until Monday.
Old 9th March 2010
Lives for gear

Genesis Mic Check

Well conclusion is........................................

Bright sssss on the top end, even bottom and even mids. HPF sux all forms of ass (takes way too much lows out and the mic sound too thin) and the -10 switch added so much noise it became harsh and useless.

The overall sound is full but the slightly hyped highend is kinda wierd once in the mix. It is not silky by any means. The word warm does not come to mind when listening to this mic. It doesn't take high levels well and distorts pretty easily at close proximity. I would say that it is smooth sounding.

The build quality feels cheesy and the gold plated on paper looked nice but up close it also looks cheesy. The pop filter broke instantly trying to put it on but I am not going to use that anyway. The mic is not heavy and really does have a cheap feel to it. But after puttin it on stand and hooking it up it looked sexy all of a sudden. Go figure. Paint job also looks cheesy.

I put it up against a AT4050, BabyBottle, SM7b, AT3035 and MK319. I ran through GTQ2, Avalon 737 and a 512c. 5 out of 7 people picked the Genesis over everything else. Me and one of my engineers prefered the sound of the 4050. sm7b sounded like sh!t and the 3035 always sounded like sh!t! The Baby Bottle use to be my favorite mic until the 4050 and now it just sounds too damn bright.

Genesis really shined through the GTQ2. Just enough girth to make it sound like it cost some money. I added eq to it and BOOM!!!!! There it is

All in all it is a good mic and had a very clean and open sound. It has zero mojo IMHO but for a $550 investment It sounds good. If I heard the mic before I bought it, it would still be at the store but now that it in the studio, I will keep it. Especially after adding the eq and DBX160X

BTW. I had a chance to demo a Pearlman TM-1 and it pretty much is in a whole nother league. Makes all of these mic sound like sh!t.

I have made good recording on all of my mics and I am sure the Genesis can kick out some hot recordings as well.
Old 9th March 2010
Lives for gear
Cool

dang. I was hoping for mojo.

It seems that the only great mic mxl ever made was the v77 or whatever it was called and it's long out of production for some dumb reason.

oh well, another pretty good but boring chinese mic. for that price I would buy something else then. I can the sound you described from cheaper chinese mics which I also respect (CAD M179 for example although maybe not as bright as your description of the genesis).
Old 9th March 2010
Lives for gear

i dunno, I really love my Genesis. GREAT for lower male vocals that need clarity in the lower mids, especially if your voice is grainy like mine. Has plenty of "mojo" in the sense that you can drive a loud vocal with it. I'd check the tube if I were you - they may not have burned yours in enough. In fact I replaced the Mullard in mine with the same type of NOS Mullard that I had already broken in and the mic became much warmer. Sybillant on top? erm... it's not dull, but I wouldn't call it "chinese mic" sybillant. To each his own - if you have a Peter Gabriel or Bowie type of voice, the genesis is a great mic. Haven't tried it on anyone else yet. I'm delighted with it.
Old 9th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by changeng View Post
i dunno, I really love my Genesis. GREAT for lower male vocals that need clarity in the lower mids, especially if your voice is grainy like mine. Has plenty of "mojo" in the sense that you can drive a loud vocal with it.
When I say mojo I mean, character and girth. The mic was pretty clean and smooth but sorta like the Avalon 737. Mojo to me is Neve-ish and API-ish.

Quote:
Sybillant on top? erm... it's not dull, but I wouldn't call it "chinese mic" sybillant.
Not chinese Sybillant but rather hyped in the top end and not in a very "usable" way. If you hit the 10k boost after recording you are going to have major problems where the 10k boost on a 4050 sounds very musical and airy.

Quote:
In fact I replaced the Mullard in mine with the same type of NOS Mullard that I had already broken in and the mic became much warmer.
Considering the fact that you saw the need to change the tube would suggest that it was lacking something. You said that the mic is more warm to you now "After" changing the tube so maybe that is what I am hearing or feeling as well.............

I did say that after I treated the signal with a little eq and some compression the mic came to life in a big way! Still have to spend alot more time with it but this was just my first impression of the mic. Only bout 4 hours of testing but first impression is first impression.
Old 9th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
When I say mojo I mean, character and girth. The mic was pretty clean and smooth but sorta like the Avalon 737. Mojo to me is Neve-ish and API-ish.

Not chinese Sybillant but rather hyped in the top end and not in a very "usable" way. If you hit the 10k boost after recording you are going to have major problems where the 10k boost on a 4050 sounds very musical and airy.
I agree about the mojo thing, exactly what I was hoping for from it...

and I completely understand what you mean about the HF sound. By the way, the CAD M179 I mentioned as a very pleasant but subtle HF increase in certain polar patterns... none of the chinese hype. In fact I think the chinese hype is gradually becoming a thing of the past (except in 603 mics and other holdovers from the recent chinese mic past). But there is still a good HF boost and a not good one.

the at4050 is a great example - it's an incredible mic and has a wonderful ability to take that 10k boost. So so very well said above, good job!
Old 10th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
When I say mojo I mean, character and girth.
...want some "character and girth" for cheap?...check out the KEL HM-2D...less than $200 shipped and "mojo-ized"...
Old 14th March 2010
Lives for gear

OK, I have done 2 full songs using the Genesis for vox and this things sounds great once mixed!

Actually didn't have to do much mixing on the vox at all......

Genesis------>GTQ2----->DBX 160X------>Rosetta 800------>PTHD via Lynx Aurora.

If someone could tell me the easiest and quickest way to post the samples, I would be glad to share.
Old 15th March 2010
Gear Head

just go to make a new post then scroll down and ull see manage attachments then just upload them from there

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search