The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What album or song would you remix if you had the chance?
Old 15th February 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by balt4house
Is it me or is this autotune POS *everywhere* now.

I could swear I heard it on some of my favorite singers who never needed it.
Isn't it great!! We no longer have to suffer out of tune vocals, we must be safely on the road to the most perfect music ever.

I'm glad because it's placing my favourite genre of music ("pop by nice young people") at the forefront of the race for sonic and musical perfection. I did a recent study and now have firm factual evidence that the perfect song will be written and recorded sometime in the next 4 years, after this there will be no music industry apart from duplication of this perfect song.

dfegad dfegad dfegad
Old 15th February 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
I didn't go either but I was over there that night. It was pretty hilarious seeing all the kids looking punked out. Full on mohican tribes with the dyed hair and the proper punk attire, Docs and all. Just to make sure it was the CJ's and GBH I asked a "punk" chick and got a condescending "Uh... the Circle Jerks and GBH??" That was pretty funny. I was listening to this **** when you were learning to walk, ya whippersnappa.
Ewww. Your the creepy old guy.
Old 15th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

heh

Old 16th February 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by tonedaddy
Check out this article from Mix magazine about the Stones Remasters
Thanks td, the article was very informative. It didn't go into as much detail as I'd like to know, but I'd probably have to have Bob Ludwig's phone number for that.

I couldn't help wondering how Meitner's DSD converters would have fared against Mytek's (which probably weren't ready for the project), since they used Mytek for the PCM transfer and listening. But that's only 'cos I own Myteks and wanted to see them do well, which they did, but DSD seems to outshine them here.

I'll have to get a few choice Stones SACDs now.
Old 17th February 2003
Gear Addict

Hey Jay..I liked the sound of the Chili Peppers uplift mofo party plan given its place in time....do you dig that one ?

On the Chili peppers theme "Californication" could use some serious knob... but maybe its just the constant distortion on the left side from the equally ****ty mastering that bugs me the most rather than the whole great songs in dull as **** mono trip...

The live DVD mix sounds like arse as well untill around halfway in
Old 9th October 2004
One with big hooves

bump
Old 9th October 2004
Lives for gear

Here are just a few off the top of my head~

Snake Finger - Chewing Hides the Sound:Was mixed WAY TOO BRIGHT, guitars make my ears ache.
The Ex - Disturbing Domestic Peace: Great Album - disserves a fancier edge
Primus - Pork Soda: Think it could afford to be more melencholy
Old 9th October 2004
Lives for gear

DOSM or Momentary Lapse of Reason..

Fleetwood-Mac's Rumors

Filter-Short Bus (I love the drums on that album....f'n amazing sound)

Tool-Lateralus

Depeche Mode-Violator

Garbage-(the pink one...self-titled)

Led Zepplyn-IV or Physical Graffiti

That would do it.......I'd have a field day with any of those albums..........
Old 9th October 2004
pgk
Gear Nut

"Nat King Cole...and in my fantasy world the whole big band/orchestra is multitracked across 48 tracks. I'd love to be able just to solo his voice and hear all the mojo. Slap a lil' M3000 on it....maybe a trakker on air-optical..."

but you'd never get that sound. not in a million years.

"Or any of those old school singers with freakin unbelievable voices who wouldn't have needed a copy of autotune in the same zipcode"

i will paraphrase brian wilson here, as i can best recall. he said the three worst things to ever happen to music were:

electronic tuners
click tracks
headphones

and i will add vocal tuners to that list

just my 2 cents
Old 10th October 2004
Lives for gear

firstly, prolly most of the ones I've already done, except perhaphs 2.

Then,

Nas, Illmatic. Great tunes but could be phatter.

...and as wiggy and I discussed. Stone Roses first. All time classic that could sound better.

I'd also love to have a play with some of the Art of Noise tunes
Old 10th October 2004
Lives for gear

None.
Till about 2 months ago, I would have said Derek+the Dominoes 'Layla'. Had it on vinyl, early CD version, later remix....always it was great music sounding very muddy, flat. Always wished it would sound better. Finally got the latest CD remaster and totally love it, let's face it, there ARE remasters out there that top the original issue.
Every record I really love works as a unity of both music and sound. The great records make me ACCEPT the sonics or else they are good but not great.
For example, I never was big on grunge but I recently rebought 'In Utero' on CD and absolutely love it, the sonics fit the songs and I wouldn't change a thing.

Andi
Old 11th October 2004
Lives for gear

I'm with you on "In Utero". Excellent album, raw as fukk but it fits perfectly. I'd say the same for The Pixies "Surfer Rosa". Brilliant

hardly surprising that Alpha should want to remix In Utero given his professed disregard to all things Albini
Old 11th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
David Bowie - Hunky Dory

The acoustic guitars are painful to listen to. Especially on "Andy Warhol". The smack-smack percussion sound in that tune is also painful. Most of the album is grating at @ 2.2-3.6 khz. Awesome record, though.
I kind of like the demo-kind of "let's do this right now I don't care what mike or how we record or play for that matter coz we're in a mood here, just do it now" -thing...

Personally I don't get this thread.
All the albums I love, I love them for what they are, positives and negatives. They reflect a time and place where people got together- kind of a musical diary.

All the albums and songs I don't care about, weeelll, I just
said it.......

ruudman
Old 11th October 2004
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruudman
Personally I don't get this thread.
All the albums I love, I love them for what they are, positives and negatives. They reflect a time and place where people got together- kind of a musical diary.
It was intended to be one of those threads to talk about music that's great but sounds really bad.
Old 11th October 2004
krs
Lives for gear

Einstuerzende Neubauten - Perpetuum Mobile.

Great album - needs to have the low end completely rethought. Boomy like heck, unlistenable in the car.
Old 11th October 2004
Lives for gear

Jay, I understand, but at the same time that's also where I fall out:
music that I think is great, feels great.
There was a long period when I could not enjoy music,
just analyzing whatever I heard. Those times are thankfully over thumbsup

It's not that I don't understand this theme,
I'm just glad I don't get it, you know?
Being able to enjoy listening to music again was a big
change in my life, and I want to keep it..

But of course there are a lot of opinions of recorded material
here on this forum. After all: we're all seriously hooked on music!

ruudman
Old 11th October 2004
Lives for gear

Soundgarden "Louder than Love"

A lot about this one is great, but the drums sound a little dated now. The intro to Ugly Truth, for example. I think the mix could sound a little more unruly, like the playing does.

Actually, I think I'd prefer to hear Terry Date's 2004 mix than mine. I'll assist
Old 11th October 2004
One with big hooves

So Ruudman, you mean to tell me that you've never loved the music on an album but been horrified at the tones that are on it and wished you could remix it?

Interesting. You're a better man then I.
Old 11th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
It was intended to be one of those threads to talk about music that's great but sounds really bad.

Whoops..............I thought it was a "music you'd love to remix because of the music" thread........not a "songs you'd love to remix cuz you thought the mix was **** and loved the song" thread....

This changes everything....
Old 11th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
So Ruudman, you mean to tell me that you've never loved the music on an album but been horrified at the tones that are on it and wished you could remix it?

Interesting. You're a better man then I.
Thanks heh

Let's say: if the tunes I like are my babies, then I'm a liberal
parent....

ruudman
Old 11th October 2004
I would LOVE to get my hands on The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St multitracks - just for fun....

I would examine Happy and Rocks Off to begin with but in the end I would probably just put the tapes back in the boxes, listening to the multitracks would be 'enough' for me.

Old 11th October 2004
Lives for gear

Ok ill have a poke @ this one..

Well i confess that i listen to more UK music than US but here is my list. In most cases its the overiding songs that get me over the line in being able to listen to songs, however i do find it hard to put away the engineers hats some times... especially when i hear gates and compressor set with bad or unmusical attack/release times.. but thats for another bitch session.

1: Stone Roses- self titled album. Its means stacks to me this album and i love it to pieces as for many like me its just one of those 'time and place' albums that sort of triggered a whole cavalcade of musical phenomenoms. However as they had a **** deal with ZOMBA ( yes Britney spear's label!fuuck ) they insisted that it was done @ thier own studios in London. And as much as i LOVE John Leckie as a GOD! the whole tracked/mixed SSL vibe jus kills the songs in a sonic sense. Compare that album sonically to 2nd coming (which stank like a ....) or even John Squires later outfit 'The Seahorses' and it a world apart with may colours and layers.

2:The streets 'original pirate material'.. as much as i love this album to bits an dthinks it sone of the best in ages to come from the UK, the soundblaster sound gives me the ****s...

3: The Libertines 'up the bracket' Yet another album that i cant stop listnieng to .. but suffice to say i would have mixed it differnetley.. lol

BTW.. i would NEVER re-mis dark side.. its perfect!

Wiggy
Old 11th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Wiggy Neve Slut
BTW.. i would NEVER re-mis dark side.. its perfect!

Wiggy
So you say Dark Side's a miss? A miss-hap?

heh heh heh

LOL

ruudman
Old 11th October 2004
lwr
Gear Addict

bit off topic because i love the original, but i have the multitrack for whats going on by marvin gaye. been having major fun mixing that:-)
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search