The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Aphex Dominator vs. Dominator II
Old 19th January 2005
Gear Maniac

Aphex Dominator vs. Dominator II

Hi folks,

does anybody know the difference between the older Dominator 700 and the newer version Dominator II?
(I bought an old one for $150 today. Was that a mistake?)

Thank you for your opinion
Stefan
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

how did it work out for you? 4 year bump.
Old 3rd September 2009
Lives for gear

Hate to reply to a 4 year old thread bump. The Dominator is a loudness maximizer. Aphex has some other units that seem more useful in today's studio such as 651 rack - 9651 module "Expressor" for a transparent compressor; old CX-1 module compressor (silky)(nobody is selling theirs or maybe rare as I don't see these come up for sale often); 320 rack - 9301(A) module "Compellor" compressor; 622/612 rack - 9621/9611 module Expander/Gate (some say more useful/musical than the Drawmer gate that everyone here has) APHEX Systems 622 Logic Assisted Expander Gate (interesting tool to use). Great gear to have in any studio.
Old 12th September 2009
Lives for gear
Aphex 720/722 is a multi-band limiter. It's really good at what it does, which is clean and undistorted-sounding peak limiting. I'd say clean to about 6dB of GR on full-range program. There is a "saturation" control which can make the 720 sound just like a 700 at 50%, according to the manual If you crank the saturation knob to 100%, and hit the limiter hard (yellow/red, all the time) there is a definite "sound" like a Clear Channel announcer. A little restraint works better.

Cheers.
Old 17th September 2015
Lives for gear

Wow, 6 year bump! I just got an Aphex Studio Dominator model 700. Wondering what differences/advantages/disadvantages. I'd notice with the Dominator II (720 or 722). These came HIGHLY recommended by the owner of a backline/staging company I know,but he only has experience with the 722.
Thanks!
Old 13th October 2018
Here for the gear

+ 3 year bump.

I found an interesting blog about the Aphex Dominator Model 700:
Mojo Pie: Funky and Uncommon Recording Gear: Aphex Dominator Model 700
Old 15th October 2018
Lives for gear

I bought a model 700 a few weeks ago for close to nothing, just to try it out. The boxtone is a bit harsh to my ears. I recapped it and changed a few things in the input and output circuits as well as in the power supply. That made quite a difference, cleaned the audiopath up and made it very useful for me. I´ll definitely keep it.
Old 15th October 2018
The Dominator is the ugliest sounding of all the Aphex comps. The reason is the audio is run through 6 VCA's and that ads up. If you line it up with the Compellor and Expressor and run high quality audio through them you can instantly hear the effects. The 651 does the least amount of damage.
Old 17th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
The Dominator is the ugliest sounding of all the Aphex comps. The reason is the audio is run through 6 VCA's and that ads up. If you line it up with the Compellor and Expressor and run high quality audio through them you can instantly hear the effects. The 651 does the least amount of damage.
Glad you posted this. I’ve been looking at Dominators for the 2 buss to shove the mix into before it goes to tape. Not a lot of compression but to limit so I can the mix close to saturation without saturating the tape. Sounds like I should choose something else. The 651 you did for me is gonna be for vocals. You have any suggestions?

Brian
Old 21st October 2018
Link up a pair of 651's and set the ratio to 50/1?
Old 22nd October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’m not a betting man, but if I had to, two 651’s would have been my guess. I’ll try the 651 when it gets here and maybe go that route. I got your email about the Compellor. I like that it only kills 1U in the rack.
Old 1st April 2019
Lives for gear
Dominator features

Quote:
The Dominator is the ugliest sounding of all the Aphex comps.
+1. "ugly" is a sound. Use sparingly. It does crush the heck out of all kinds of audio in a way that can work for some things. It is a "professional" unit with high build quality and component-level documentation so you can fix it and make it better.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep. Depending on the song, of course, I'll put a linked pair pair of 661's on the mix bus. Set the attack at 50u sec and release set at .04 sec. Ratio anywhere between 50:1 to 7:1 and set the threshold to where the GR barely lights up at the highest peaks. The HFX thingy can be useful for accentuating any light or lost HF. Such versatile compressor limiters. I doubt I will ever sell them.

Dominator ll: Seldom use it. When I do the GR are barely lit, otherwise I can hear it do it's nasty thing.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have 4 651’s, 1 Compellor 320a, and sold my Dominator II. Two of the 651’s are JW modded and used on vocals. The other two are across the mix bus and need to visit JW. The Compellor 320a is in the closet waiting for a final decision on its fate.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search