The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What does it take to open a low end room? Dynamic Microphones
Old 1st February 2003
One with big hooves

I think the most valuable thing I learned when I went to college for music was that if your going to try and make a living from music, have good credit. I think all of my teachers said that.
Old 10th February 2003
Gear Nut

I will again say that getting out of the studio business and going freelance was on of the best decisions of my life. I have far less stress and make better records. I spend much more time recording and less time cleaning and worrying about buying toilet paper. Furthermore, the local studio owners like having another source of business. I bring in regular work for them. I try to spread it around so that we are all better off. I get great rates from them and I enjoy being in different rooms. Think about it. They have one less competitor and a regular client. Not to mention another engineer who knows the room. I get a lot of pick-up sessions from small studio owners who are too busy to do a session, but don't want to turn down a paying gig. Everyone has been very supportive.

If you have a good client base, you might want to get rid of your studio and go freelance. (Sell some gear and pay off debt!)Sometimes I think it would be nice to have my own room again, but then I go down the list of what it takes and it just doesn't seem worthwhile. The investment is huge and there is very little return. I would rather support the guys who have already made the big investment.
Old 10th February 2003
Gear Maniac

The local freelance engineers constantly call me to see if dbx is hiring. I tell them no and give them some good Ramen recipes. I wouldn't go freelance in my market even with a gun pointed at my head.
Old 11th February 2003
Here for the gear

I dream of this room.
Its close to my house, and all my clients think its a convenient location, and is a nice place to go and do business. It would need to be versitale and effecient. This is the gear I would put in it to achieve pro level at the lowest cost.
Pro Tools Mix+ refurb w/extra DSP card
Plug-ins: Waves, GRM Tools. Ohmforce Fromage, Bombfactory stuff, Sound Replacer, Amp Farm
888/24 and an Apogee
New G4
Two 80G firewire drives, and a DVD/CD burner
Toast w/Jam
Software sampler of the day?
One Triton 76 key
One Midi Time Piece AV
The best Flat screen deal of the day?
Control 24
Pair of Mackie HR824s
Two VINtec preamps
One avalon
2 Distressors
4 SM-58's
4 SM-57's
1 SM7
1 AKG D112
4 Senhieser 441's
1 EV RE20
2 AKG C414s
2 Shure SM-81s
A pair of Earthworks M30s
A bunch of MXL, or Rode Condensors or one Nueman
4 Countryman type 85 DIs
That big lexicon with the LARC
or a Lexicon PCM90, or even an old Nubus M300 rig
At least one smoking delay, mabe the new line six modeler for versatility
At least 8 Fostex T20 Headphones
Two power amps for powering monitors or headphones
4 furman headphone sat boxs
A Strat, a Tele, a Les Paul
A Stingray, a Jazz
A deluxe, a twin, a tweed
Mabye an AC30
A Line SIX POD Pro
A nice little bass amp
One Mackie SR HD recorder to take on the road
and a pro portable mini disc
closed headphones for the road
Lottsa good mic cabel
Some good mic stands
One pro pop screen
A box of foam pop stoppers

Thats All
Somebody total this up for me.
What was the question?
Old 11th February 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Alvin
If you have a good client base, you might want to get rid of your studio and go freelance. (Sell some gear and pay off debt!)Sometimes I think it would be nice to have my own room again, but then I go down the list of what it takes and it just doesn't seem worthwhile. The investment is huge and there is very little return. I would rather support the guys who have already made the big investment.
Totally. Depending on how things go this year I might consider going freelance. Running a business sucks. When the tape machine goes down I'd rather tell someone else to fix it and worry about it and how that's going to be paid for then doing that and engineering my clients project and 1000 other things at once.

The only problem is that there aren't a lot of decent rooms in the area. Just about every place that I'd work at won't cut a break for a freelancer. It's the same $500-600 a day if I book the room and bring a band or the band books the room. Then, most clients won't pay another $200-350 per day just for an engineer when they only have $1500 or so to work with in the first place. I think I'm the only studio that cuts freelance engineers a break and lets them actually make money. Go figure.
Old 9th October 2004
One with big hooves

bump
Old 9th October 2004
Motown legend

Why own a low-end studio and work with low-end clients when you can rent a first rate studio and be building a reputation among first rate clients? I think the quality of my time on this Earth is far more valuable than money. Owning what I could easily rent has never made sense to me except where I find an exceptional opportunity to buy first class gear that I can easily pay for by renting to others.

I've always owned first class playback gear so I could evaluate what I was doing in the studio and hopefully understand what others were doing. My listening room evolved over a 20 year period into becoming my mastering room largely because so many of my friends were evaluating their mixes and masters at my place.
Old 9th October 2004
Lives for gear

heres what i would suggest for the lowest lowest cost low end
studio that will still give good sound.(one of many possibilities).
..an amd athlon pc - will do 40 tracks easy.
..an rme sound solution. because of solid drivers.
..powertracks multitrack software that i use. 49 bucks for 48 tracks. it dont get any better value than that. does 24 bit as well.
..a few decent cad and shure mics
..a pair of yorkville monitors
..diy mic pre's like i build and use
..add in a few spkrs as mics(for color and laughs).
..few decent akg phones and phone distribution system.
total cost around 2500 bucks if you shop wisely.
or if you dont wish to build your own mic pres.
maybe add a mackie console like the new onyx say.
another 1k perhaps ?
ive a feeling you will need to spend huge amounts of money to beat this solution and maybe get at best a 5 percent increase in sound quality. lets remember most folks home playback and car systems are not the greatest.
just my 2 cents.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search