The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie Onyx 1640 anyone ?
Old 17th December 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

i'll take that 1640 for $400...
Old 10th February 2014
Hello guys, do you think a Mackie 1640i is a good option over the SL 16.4.2??? I'm in between these two mixer/interfaces. But SL seems to have a lot of problems related do FW pops, digital distortion, and driver issues too
Old 10th February 2014

The interface on the Mackie unit has been rock solid on Apple OS.

The only thing I can say bad about it is that it's a bit small (IE - controls are a bit cramped). But, for a 16-4-2 with 6 aux buses, you'd expect that in a 19" rack-mountable unit....

-tINY

Old 8th April 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Ok, I know that this thread has been going on since I was a child, but I just called Front End Audio and they said that the person who was doing the direct out post eq mods has retired. Does anybody know someone who will do this mod for me on my 1640? I would like to print the eq (with boosted highs) to tape so I can cut the hiss after the fact... Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 9th April 2016
Gear Head

The eq is amazing for me. Put headphones on, dial in the mic placement- maybe a little eq boost here and there. its fun to use pedals on the aux channels and record that in as a parallel effect channel using 15/16 to record into the daw. Ive gotten some radically hi fi sounds and some really ****ty sounds. If you can't make song sound good on that board, it's a waste of money. Its not as simple as just using a computer. It'll probably hinder you at first, but after that its smooth sailing.
Old 10th April 2016
Deleted 1846071
Just mixed a live band on one of these. It's a clean and intuitive board. Stays out of the way. I really like the mix buss compressor it comes with.
Old 11th April 2016
Lives for gear

It comes with a compressor? Mine didn't.
Old 10th May 2018
Here for the gear

Hey all, I just figured i’d keep this crazy old thread alive. I got the 1620 in 2004, I did film scoring back then... I still use it. It’s a great mixer, the pre’s are fine but not the best, I use it along with an Eleven Rack and a Liquid Channel and a BulueTube v2 as an aggregate device on OS 10.13. I did the setup because it’s a lot a bang for the buck. The Liquid Channel via AES through 11R is fantastic for tracking vocals. There are enough outputs for surround sound, the cheap BlueTube is handy for acoustic guitar, and the 11r is great for lead, and the mackie is fine for bass and rhythm guitar. Those extra mackie pre’s are great quality for extra inputs when needed. The routing is great for the setup. Digital is better than analog but sounds fine. EQ is okay, I don’t love it. I think it was the right decision to not have it in line with recording but the mods sounds interesting... ha ha this thread is so old the guy mentioned half way through is already retired...
📝 Reply