The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What sounds are you using for click tracks
Old 30th October 2004

Question What sounds are you using for click tracks

And, drumming brethren... What are you liking for recording and live work... i.e. what really bugs you and what can you put up with, and whats the ultimate!

PLEASE DON'T SAY "COWBELL"!!!!!PLEASE DON'T SAY "COWBELL"!!!!!
Old 30th October 2004
Lives for gear

I use the "Rhythm Watch" patch in the Digirack Click but I make the two volumes equal. The offset is too confusing to me. It's the only one that cuts through distorted guitars and cymbals. You gotta be really careful when running it through headphones. Too much vol. will definitely damage your hearing. Sometimes I cut it with a little distortion and I'll also roll off some 2k - 4k.

The cowbell patch is annoying. If I'm tracking a vocalist who's singing at low vol. and for some reason they need a click, like there's a long break in the music, I quantize a track of fairly percussive low frequency synthesizer bass. Generally it's workable and there's a lot less chance it's gonna leak. Make sure it's in the same key as the song (doh!)

Oh, one more thing: "cowbell"
Old 30th October 2004
Gear Addict

I've been using woodblocks with a higher pitch on the downbeat. It seems I've been able to keep it a little lower in headphones that way.

Live is a different story. We use a hi-hat sound coming thru the drummer's monitor on-stage. Bleed out front isn't really an issue that way. How in the world does he distinguish between the real hats and the click ones you say? He wears ear plugs and claims that they give him the ability to tell where each is coming from specifically.

Another way to handle having a hi-hat sound for a click, live (we haven't needed to do this), is to put the drummers monitor on the opposite site of the hats. Instant separation.
Old 31st October 2004

Aha! Ingenious idea

I'll give the woodblock idea a spin...

I saw a DVD of UK band Muse in the studio with Rich Costey, and it sounded like they were using some old skool drum machine with pitched bleeps and 16th and 32nd notes (ideal for 1/2 time tunes or slower tempi I guess)
Old 31st October 2004
lwr
Gear Addict

hey, can you give me the details on that dvd?
Old 31st October 2004

It was part of a special edition of their latest album (Absolution?)

Well worth getting!
Old 31st October 2004
Lives for gear

Cubase's LM-7 with 'Percussion' patch, the cowbell.
Annoying sound but cuts through most stuff.

Herwig
Old 2nd November 2004
hrn
Lives for gear

rimshot
Old 3rd November 2004
Gear Addict

orchestra hit.......

I kid I kid
Old 4th November 2004
Gear Maniac

my clicktrack says "one, two, three, four"
Old 4th November 2004

Are you being serious? How do you EQ the into your voice then?

heh
Old 4th November 2004
Gear Maniac

nah, not serious :0)

actually i´m using logics internal "klopfgeist". works good for me
Old 4th November 2004

I'm using Logic 4.8.1...

Forgive my ignorance, but where can I find "klopfgeist"? and how do I use it?

Old 5th November 2004
Gear Maniac

mh, i gues it was invented with Logic Pro 6.

i´m sure it wasn´t available in earlier versions, maybe in logic 5.

sort of a virtual instrument , on track 64 by default, enables u to customize your clicktrack.
Old 5th November 2004
Lives for gear

I'm using my old Kurzweil PRO 1 synth for click. It actually has a patch called "click", which also has a tuning note on A 440.
Old 5th November 2004
Gear Addict

I'm considering changing my click to just one of these on the drummer's head.

Old 5th November 2004
hrn
Lives for gear

I record my rimshot tracks to track 1 of the project as a wave file from an old Dr Rhythm (DR 660..I think) drum machine.

Love the tranny sound I get on it through the Spectra Sonics pre

Sometimes I use a delay on it to get a special feel.
Old 5th November 2004
Lives for gear

koebel .... yup ... flemish for ... argh ... you know.
Old 5th November 2004

really track dependent but generally I end up going for 1/4 or 1/8th note hard hihats with no dynamics or variance of any kind....YMMV but it rocks my world. Sometimes I'll just play to whats there with no click....
Old 6th November 2004

HahA toolskid... Wait til I tell my poor drummer THAT one!!

KOEBEL... hmm... sounds familiar!
Old 6th November 2004

oh yeah and for live its usually the same deal but with IEMs + a feed of my close kit mics esp. hihats. If its a smaller gig without the facilities to do that I take a few mics and a mackie 1604 and do it myself. Makes a world of difference.
Old 6th November 2004
Lives for gear

About 16 years ago, on one of my first ever samplers (may have been a E2 or S900 or S612) I sampled a drummers count in click on his sticks, Ive been using that to this day, bit low bandwith by todays standards but thats part of what makes it work.

In fact each new sampler that came along over the years my first job was to transfer the click sound.

Old 7th November 2004
There is only one

dont use click tracks.
Old 7th November 2004
Lives for gear

then good luck staying im time to sequenced tracks,

whats that, dont use sequencers?

Then why bother posting.
Old 8th November 2004
Gear Nut

we used to put a tambourine/shaker combo with gated reverb right in a drummer's cans. oh yeah.

drummers looove that.
Old 8th November 2004
Gear Guru

When I'm playing I like a beat from the drum machine, if I'm using a click at all. When I'm producing/engineering its whatever the band can deal with. I only use if needed on overdubs. I also don't monitor it in the control room. I believe the click is just a guide, so i don;t want to hear the little imperfections that become evident if I'm listening to the click. If it gets really far off, I'll hear it.

I don't use 'em much...
Old 8th November 2004
Here for the gear

I hate to say it...

But I use the Cowbell

The people I work with are used to that sound, and some of the others just don't cut through.
Old 10th November 2004
Gear Addict

How about an electric jolt? Anybody know how to take a electric fence generator and put it to time? Then you could wire it to the drum throne. (heh, throne. ROFL)

I don't mean to hijack the thread but this could turn into a discussion of ways to torture the drummer. You know, like some people do with cats.
Old 10th November 2004

you can get concussion thumpers attached to the drum stool - they're usually just triggered from the kick, but theres no reason not to trigger them from a click
Old 10th November 2004

Quote:
How about an electric jolt? Anybody know how to take a electric fence generator and put it to time? Then you could wire it to the drum throne.
Spot on!

heh heh heh ROTFLMAO

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search