The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Now that we have the Kit for under $1000...
Old 24th October 2004
Gear Addict

Now that we have the Kit for under $1000...

Now that we've explored and found a kit for under a grand (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...threadid=21834). And noted that TapeOP #43 has some great articles on recording (miking) and tuning the kit...

What heads should we use?

I've had some good results with Coated Ambassadors on toms and snares. Clear Ambassadors on Tom/Snare Bottoms and REMO and Evans on kick.

I'm just about to try a set of Pinstripes (REMO) with an Aquarian (REMO) on Kick.

What's your favorite flavor, for what style and why?

...J
Old 24th October 2004
Lives for gear

I recently put some Aquarian heads on my DW kit and they're sounding very good. For toms, I went with the Studio X heads w/ power dot on top, and the Classic Clears on bottom. They also have the Studio X for kick drum, which I got, along with the Regulator front head with mic hole.

The Studio X heads are cool because they're not too bright, but you can get them to speak if you hit them harder. And the dot helps the head last longer, as you're not beating directly on the surface of the head as much.

For snare I'm still using Evans genera g1's that I got at Guitar Center, but adding a Pure Sound snare (wire) to the drum really helped it sound better too. Looser snare tension sounds better to me also. The snarier the better.

Even sticks can make a difference in the sound. I'm digging the Vic Firth 'Dave Weckl Evolution' sticks, but it depends on the musical style I suppose. Zildjian has all kinds of different sticks for different styles, as I'm sure Vic Firth does also.

A good place to order heads online is Midwest Percussion
Attached Thumbnails
Now that we have the Kit for under 00...-dw2.jpg  
Old 24th October 2004
One with big hooves

Re: Now that we have the Kit for under $1000...

Quote:
Originally posted by JB3
What's your favorite flavor, for what style and why?
My general starting point is Aquarian Satin Texture Coateds on the toms batter side. IMHO the rest of their heads suck but these are like Ambassadors on steroids. Bottom toms get clear heads, usually an Ambassador or Evans G2. Snares get Powerstrokes, Satin Texture or the Evans Powercenter. Kick batter head is either a Powerstroke (clear) or Evans EQ3, front head is a boring Ambassador clear if I have to replace it. If it's a metal band I'll probably go with Pinstripes or Powerstrokes for the toms because they have more 'smack' and generate a bigger stick impact sound.

Somewhere on here I posted a long artice about tuning and heads and how they relate...it's worth a read.
Old 25th October 2004
Lives for gear

My Dunnett 10" titanium snare came with an Aquarian Satin Texture Coated head. I've never tried them on toms.

All other Aquarians suck huh? Not in my experience, but I doubt I've tried as many heads as Jay. I've never heard anyone talk about those Studio X heads, so it didn't seem like they were very popular. They're working for me, but next time I'll experiment with some of the more common heads, such as Ambassador, Emperor, Black Dot, etc...

Here's a good link.

Aquarian Drum Head Tips weblink
Old 25th October 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

Other than the obvious:

EMAD batter with an EQ3 res is my current fave all around kick combo. Ambassador coated front and back would be an alternate (with no hole and felt strips for muffling, of course).

I've completely turned my back on pre-muffled snare and batter heads though. No ps3 or generas for me, thank you. They have too much muffling. Snare batter is either coated ambassador, g1, or powercenter reverse dot. You can change the thickness of the snare side to change the brightness and snare sensitivity of the drum. Ambassador or one of the 300 series evans heads is a good place to start.

Other than that, i've been having fun with J1 top and bottom on toms, in addition to the standard head combos. Not too bright, but you have alot to work with in terms of adding dampening. Easier to start with open sounds and damp them then to get damped heads and try get them to sound open.

I switch between evans, remo, and attack heads. I've got my faves (and aquarian isn't on that list). But they are all good. Attack heads are the easiest to get sounding good fast, with remos taking the most prep work (stupid glue that needs to be cracked). Evans are about in the middle. They all sound great in the end, of course. Don't think about it too much, unless you are looking to get into the overengineered heads. Dots and muffle rings and tone ridges, oh my. If you can't tune em, they are all going to sound bad.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search