The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
M-Audio Super DAC,Any Good?
Old 23rd October 2004
Lives for gear
M-Audio Super DAC,Any Good?

Just wondering if anyone have or use the Super DAC BY M-AUDIO. How does it sound compared to the Alesis Masterlink's DAC? I know it's not a Benchmark, Mytek, etc. but just wondering since it's stand alone, it might be better than the on board converters in the Masterlink. Thanks !
Old 23rd October 2004
Lives for gear

Afaik, it's an older unit? I've never been too impressed with the M-Audio convertors on their soundcards. Ok for the money maybe, but kinda 'dark' sounding, and i like fresh high end :-)

What's the kind of money you want to spend on a DAC? The Presonus Central Station (around $600) and the Mytek DAC ($500) spring to mind. Maybe the RME ADI-2 too ($600), has AD as well.

If you're not willing to pay such money for just a DAC, just use a current age soundcard which don't sound that bad at all.
Old 23rd October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by DrDeltaM
Afaik, it's an older unit? I've never been too impressed with the M-Audio convertors on their soundcards. Ok for the money maybe, but kinda 'dark' sounding, and i like fresh high end :-)

What's the kind of money you want to spend on a DAC? The Presonus Central Station (around $600) and the Mytek DAC ($500) spring to mind. Maybe the RME ADI-2 too ($600), has AD as well.

If you're not willing to pay such money for just a DAC, just use a current age soundcard which don't sound that bad at all.
mytek dac for 500 where???
Old 23rd October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Teacher
mytek dac for 500 where???
You have to buy an A/D to get it at that price.
Old 23rd October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by atticus
You have to buy an A/D to get it at that price.
o yea i was fooled by that in the new product section
Old 23rd October 2004
Lives for gear

My mistake, was fooled too by their ad
Old 25th October 2004
Jai guru deva om

I used this SEK'D ADDA 2496 recently that gives you great A/D and D/A in a half rack space for retail $800. I don't know if there's any left because they are discontinued (we got one in to demo and by the time we demo'd it the show was over...!) but I think they show up on eBay from time to time.

And for the hell of it, since I spent a bunch of time on these clips I'll post it.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/...2079&alid=1035

I used a lightpiped signal from my keyboard to start with, so that the original source was clean. Then I proceeded to pump the track through the SEK'D box again and again...20 times in fact. So what you're hearing is 210 D/A and 210 A/D conversions by clip #20.

And it's a useable clip.

Anyway, not a bad box on the cheap. I'm sure Benchmark and others can probably hang with this same type test if not outperform it but for more $$$. Hoping to hear some Benchmark stuff at AES?!

War

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search