The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone compressing their home audio system?
Old 20th October 2004
Lives for gear

Anyone compressing their home audio system?

I'm re-doing my home entertainment system with a new DVD/R and thinking about adding a stereo compressor to keep levels even when watching movies. Anyone else doing this?

Compressor recommendations? RNC? DBX?
Old 20th October 2004
I think I read Fletcher was doing something like that.
Old 20th October 2004
Lives for gear

Now THAT's a slut! heh
Old 20th October 2004
Lives for gear

mabie a rack of LA2a, I guess you would need 6 of them for 5.1

thumbsup
Old 20th October 2004
Gear Addict

I run mine through Genelec 5.1, miced with 5 U47's through 1073 's onto tape through thru Fairchild 660's through Pultec's into Lavry Titanum's through Commodore Amiga - 500 through a CASIO CZ-101
Old 20th October 2004
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I run mine through Genelec 5.1, miced with 5 U47's through 1073 's onto tape through thru Fairchild 660's through Pultec's into Lavry Titanum's through Commodore Amiga - 500 through a CASIO CZ-101
Wow, where'd ya find that Casio?

diuaneadam
Old 21st October 2004
Lives for gear

I have a Barco video projector in my home studio and it's great fun to watch movies in there. I feed the DVD player into the DAW and use a plugin compressor to tame the levels. I don't use a 5.1 at home, but I do run a separate out from the center channel and throw it into the stereo mix. I've noticed that the decoder in my DVD player doesn't mix in enough center channel if I use just the L/R outs.

Quote:
C'mon, you know how good it would sound if you went into and then out of a Digital Compact Cassette recorder somewhere in there.
Old 21st October 2004
My tuner has an integrated adjustable compressor for digital signals (DVD) but I'll admit that everything else (main analog TV signal, VCR) goes through my old (hold on to your hats...) Alesis 3630.

Well, I didn't want to just throw it out, and it wan't heavy enough to be a boat anchor.
Old 21st October 2004
Gear Maniac

I run an RNC on my TV to keep the blast factor down to a minimum.

Worst offenders have gotta be those damn pickup truck commercials!

Mike
Old 21st October 2004
Lives for gear

Hey, great idea!!!

I hate it when you're watching a movie and can barely hear the dialogue, then you crank it up, then the action starts and you have to turn it down again, then turn it up, then down, up, down

I think the Pendulum OCL-2 would be a good one, due to it's transparency and it ability to not color the sound.

Anyone like to add?

haha here we go!

Jason
Old 21st October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Poulin
I hate it when you're watching a movie and can barely hear the dialogue, then you crank it up, then the action starts and you have to turn it down again, then turn it up, then down, up
Nice to see I'm not the only one!

I have to *ride the remote* every time I watch movies/TV.

I really notice this while trying to watch Leno while my wife is sleeping. Jay practically whispers his jokes, but when the band and applause kicks in for a punch line, it's like a 30db bump. Yikes!

A *constant level* button would be a great feature on TV remotes.
Old 21st October 2004

I don't have a TV...

I would like an expander for FM radio, though.....

-tINY

Old 21st October 2004
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies! I'll probably get a cheap mixer and put an RNC on the main inserts. I can run all devices into the individual channels and compress the various VCRs and DVDs that I have going on.

If I buy a Pendulum OCL-2, it damn sure won't end up in my TV rack!!heh
Old 21st October 2004
Lives for gear

lol!
Old 21st October 2004
Lives for gear

Most digital receivers/processors these days have limiters built-in. This is part of the Dolby Digital spec www.dolby.com. Usually called "midnight movie" or something similar. The DD dialnorm can be set to provide consistent levels from program to program, but it rarely is.

My $200 Sherwood receiver and my $600 Denon both allow you to choose to add the dynamic processor. My Motorola 6208 HD cable box also has it, as does my RCA ProScan 36" TV.
Old 22nd October 2004
Lives for gear

Yeah Ive been thinking the same thing for ages aswell. and thought, am I insane............but I guess Im not. Having to constantly ride the remote does my head in big time, especially like mentioned earlier when watching action films...........or even something like "Gothika"......every time those eerie "scare the **** out of you" music sequences come in, they make me jump out of my chair! (Which is prob the desired effect........lol)

I also think they should have a couple of buttons on TV remotes that act like pads, so you can quickly drop the volume in say 10db sections, rather than having to hold down the volume button.

Ideally............
Old 22nd October 2004
Lives for gear

Now if we can just get the folks making TV-viewing TOO dynamic into the music biz, and all the loudness-warriors making music undynamic into the TV biz, what a wonderful world it would be...

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 22nd October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ttauri
Now if we can just get the folks making TV-viewing TOO dynamic into the music biz, and all the loudness-warriors making music undynamic into the TV biz, what a wonderful world it would be...

Peece,
T. Tauri
Ain't it the truth.

We have a fundamental confusion in the audio world that doesn't exist in the video world.

We are paid by record company goons to master pop music so the goon can walk out the door with a disc that sounds as loud or louder than the last disc that was in the player. There should be industry standards (AES? NARAS P&E? where are you?) that have basic requirements for full-range monitoring, average and peak loudness levels, archiving, yet no one in the audio industry wants to stand up and be counted.

What we deliver is not what the cd player, DVD player, radio station, etc., delivers. Each has their own requirements depending on its delivery limitations (frequency and dynamic, etc.), but after a century of audio recording we still don't deliver a consistent product to them; our monitoring, metering, mastering, etc., is still done on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes there are glorious accidents, and sometimes horrid mistakes.

Dynamic control, EQ, level setting, etc., belong in the "C-chain" playback equipment at home, with a proper user interface so the average user can choose to set-it-and-forget-it or to tweak it to their idea of perfection. Very few car systems have had proper dynamic control, yet for many reasons this is the most important place for this technology.

Until the, keep your remotes in your hands!
Old 25th October 2004
Lives for gear

Well, what we need then is commercials on the CD. Then you would have at least some dynamics, loud sections and louder sections. heh
Old 25th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jdunn
Well, what we need then is commercials on the CD. Then you would have at least some dynamics, loud sections and louder sections. heh

Maybe one of the major home audio manufacturers could make a "smart stereo".....like the tv...that changes the volume of the incoming signal so that it's always even...or near the same level...

Can't remember the name of the tv company that did this.....it was a while ago.......

Anyway....if we all start compressing our home stereo's........and it spreads to consumers.....then hell........our mixes are all going to sound like crap. It's gonna be like radio.....only with cd's too........

The Dynamics on DVD's are suppost to be there......it say's something............

I know it's hard when people are sleeping though...and you're always adjusting the volume.....I've done it a million times.....but probably wouldn't strap a compressor across the thing.....................jeesh.
Old 25th October 2004
Lives for gear

Yeah, a Waves L2 is great for watching tv when you have someone sleeping in the guest bedroom, etc... Oh, I sold mine. Too bad.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search