The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tascam 1/2" recorder problems... need help
Old 14th October 2004
Lives for gear

Tascam 1/2" recorder problems... need help

Hello

I still haven't had a chance to calibrate this unit.

It is the Tascam MSR 16 analog track recorder.

My problem is, when recording a source through one of my preamps (lets say the API 3124 since it has no output setting), the VU meters on the Analog recorder go right off the wall, even when it comes to speach in one of the Drum overheads....

I don't hear any clipping but when I pass a kick drum through the API, it will clip and the VU meters are going nuts.

Is there a pre stage that I can adjust on this thing? Or do I have to pass through some kind of pad or even a compressor with a variable output to tame down these levels????

Thanks!

Ps: I know that the VU meters might not be accurate since they are not calibrated, but there is clipping on the kick/snare/toms drums even when the API pre is not even boosted.

I'll never be able to record with this

Jason
Old 15th October 2004
Lives for gear

anyone?

I'm really in a pickle here

Jason
Old 15th October 2004
Lives for gear

Gain structure.

My guess is that you're running +4 signals into -10 inputs... There may be trims on the deck, but that will only get you so far.

Tascam makes a 'bump box' that will take +4 to -10 and/or vice-versa.
Old 15th October 2004
One with big hooves

Re: Tascam 1/2" recorder problems... need help

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Poulin
Is there a pre stage that I can adjust on this thing? Or do I have to pass through some kind of pad or even a compressor with a variable output to tame down these levels????

Your cramming a +4 signal into a -10 input. You need to get a bumpbox for it. Ebtech makes a 2 channel and an 8 channel, Fostex and Tascam also made them at one point. Pretty handy things to have around.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search