The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Next upgrade... Audio Interfaces
Old 19th June 2008
Gear Head

Next upgrade...

So here's where I stand as far as current gear goes:

MacPro 2.0 ghz Dual Processor
Digi 002rack
UA LA-610
Presonus Digimax LT

I am content on my mic collection, and my software/plug-ins are awesome. I'm looking to upgrade or enhance the above list. *Note: I clock the 002rack to the Digimax* Maybe a new higher end mic pre? Or possibly some new convertors or word clock? Or some steven slate samples/other drum samples? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 19th June 2008

what do you use your set up for?

narco
Old 19th June 2008
Gear Head

Mostly recording full bands, and somtimes making loops in reason for various local bands. I'd like to upgrad mic pres....I think I'm gonna sell or trade my G&L Bluesboy for a nice mic pre. I was thinkin like API, Pacifica, or ???
Old 19th June 2008
Lives for gear

Conversion, treatment or monitors. Preamps would be next on the list for me.

Frank
Old 19th June 2008
Gear Head

Monitors will be next after this upgrade. What kind of convertors do you recommend? I'm running 12 channels total - 8 on the Digimax via Lightpipe, and 4 thru the 002 rack. I have about $1000-1200 to spend.
Old 19th June 2008
Lives for gear

I've heard great things about the T.C. Konnekt stuff, but I've never used it personally. I don't know of much else I could recommend for 12 channels in that price range. I don't know if the Konnekt stuff would be a huge upgrade over what you're using now though.

Frank
Old 19th June 2008
Gear nut

Are you using any microphones?
Old 19th June 2008
Gear Head

Yeah, I have a nice selection of Rode, Shure, Audix, and Audio Technica mics. I wouldn't mind owning a Royer or some other high end mic, or even new monitors. Maybe I should look into the Black Lion Mod for my 002 rack, then spend the rest on new monitors?

My recordings are decent/good, but I want to take it to the next level. As far as treatment goes, I have a great room for drums that's treated, as well as vocals and a nice iso cab for guitars.
Old 19th June 2008
Lives for gear

If you're well treated, then I'm in the camp that believes in dropping some serious scratch on converters. I upgraded to SSL XLogic converters this year...wow...what an improvement. That's what made the big diffence fro me...went from decent/good to good/great.

Frank
Old 19th June 2008
Gear nut

Maybe sell your 002 and the Presonus?

Get the Ensemble, Fireface or Metric Halo instead.

Get great monitors.

A great mic like a Gefell or Pearlman.

All the best
Old 20th June 2008
Lives for gear

Don't get a word clock.. worthless. If you even think about getting a word clock, take the next step and do what Aurora said, "sell your 002 and Digimax" for something better... or at least one of them. BUT, having monitors that you LOVE are the key to better recordings, IMHO. There's nothing better than actually hearing the difference when you move a mic 1" to the left. When I upgraded my monitoring system my recordings and mixes took a dramatic turn for the better. I never knew that a 57 could sound so crappy, and sometimes so perfect.

Also, I wouldn't hit the Black Lion mod at this point. Modest gains, I'd say.

I'm guessing that none of your Rode, Shure, Audix, and Audio Technica mics are ribbons. If you haven't tracked with a ribbon before, then you simply must. Get one. Get a GREAT one like the Royer you mentioned. My first was the Cascade Fat Head (original), and it was lovely -- still is, though I've replaced the stock transformer with a Cinemag. Anyway, ribbons are BEAUTIFUL on guitars, vocals, any string instruments... whatever. My favorite heavy guitar tone came from that Fat Head with a 57, side by side, and my favorite clean tone was the ribbon alone (of course the instrument/amp/player was nice, too).

Though it's probably not what Aurora meant, get "all the best." Save up and get whatever you're really hyped on. I find that being excited about recording is easily as important as what is actually in your hands. FWIW
Old 20th June 2008
Gear nut

If you have to use Pro Tools (or like it), I'd take the Black Lion option.
they have this new upgrade that is supposed to be killer.
Old 20th June 2008
Gear Head

I like the Ensemble. Can I use it with Pro Tools?
Old 20th June 2008
Lives for gear

Yes, so long as you keep your 002.
Old 20th June 2008
Lives for gear

I have a fireface and have heard a lot of work done on a Digi002. While I love my FF800 I am not sold on the fact that it is leaps and bounds better than your Digi002.

This is just my inexperienced point of view, but from my past tests and trials I found that the jump in quality from my RNP's to my two channels of Great River is very slight. I have not used the other Pre's you mention, but I feel comfortable that the GR's are in the same ball park.

I understand that you are satisfied with your mics, but my gut is that mic additions will provide the biggest jump in sound quality per dollar spent.

If I were adding a pre and was in your situation my gut would take me towards an api3124 on the higher end or a couple RNP's on the lower end.

I saw that Bluesboy. Man, I cannot imagine dumping that guitar. Looks like a real beauty.

Good luck.
Old 20th June 2008
Gear Head

Thanks man. It's sad to see her go, but I have a Fender CIJ 62 Tele and a Gibson Les Paul as my main guitars She just doesn't get the proper attention. I really like those API 512c mic pre's, and theres a few for sale here on gearslutz and I'm definitely interested in those, and also a Royer 121. That's such a killer mic, and I'd love to have one. I'm pretty torn at this point, as I can't have both.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search