The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
auralex xpander
Old 10th October 2004
Gear Addict

auralex xpander

Anyone ever try these foam blocks around a vocal mic? Do they help stop early reflections effectively?

Cheers,
Lumen
Old 12th October 2004
Gear Nut

I have a set of the expanders around my Brauner Phantom C. They help a little, but I wish they were bigger.
The set-up is pretty easy but your mic stand and boom have to be arranged differently. Worth a try.
Old 12th October 2004
Gear Addict

Thanks!

Anybody else try them?

It would be nice if they were bigger.
Old 3rd November 2004

auralex expander

are these any good. I was going to buy them at Guitar Center but just didnt . Anybody have any. Is it true that when treating your room you cant treat the west wall if you treat the east and if you have a carpet then you cant treat the ceiling(or opposite) I just read that and didnt know if that was correct. I just thought that the best thing to do is foam up every space in your room. thanks fellas.
Old 3rd November 2004
Gear Nut

Re: auralex expander

Quote:
Originally posted by primomusic
are these any good. I was going to buy them at Guitar Center but just didnt . Anybody have any. Is it true that when treating your room you cant treat the west wall if you treat the east and if you have a carpet then you cant treat the ceiling(or opposite) I just read that and didnt know if that was correct. I just thought that the best thing to do is foam up every space in your room. thanks fellas.

You don't want a completely treated room in any circumstance.

Treating your room with just foam will only make it boomy and bass heavy. Those foam "bass traps" wont do a thing to the bass either. You need panel traps, or membrane traps to effectively control the bass in the room.

Parallel surfaces are a no no tutt

Cube rooms are a no no tutt (thats same height, width and depth)

spherical rooms are a no no tutt

The idea is that there are no parallel walls inside the room. This creates standing waves. So yes, you could treat just one wall, but you have to change the angle of it so it isnt parallel to any other wall in the room....

If you are creating a control room (ie. where you mix) it should be symetrical yet with no parallel surfaces. (one wall should be a mirror image of the other wall).

"foaming up" the entire room is not a good idea.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search