The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mojave, MXL, sm7 mic question
Old 7th October 2004
Here for the gear

Mojave, MXL, sm7 mic question

Ok,

I am looking at getting one of the Mojave Audio mic kits, and was wondering if the ADK capsule that comes with the complete kit is any better than an MXL 2001 capsule.

http://mojaveaudio.com/products.html

Full kit = $500
Retro fit = $300 + $80 for MXL 2001 on ebay.

Am I going to be able to tell the difference between them? Does anyone have experience with either one, or have insight into MXL quality control?

Also, I've read alot of posts about buying good dynamic mics. I am buying this so that I have a good lead male vocal mic. Am I better off buying a shure SM7 that I'll always have and use?
Old 7th October 2004
Lives for gear

I own both. The MXL/Royer mod makes the mic much smoother and a much better mic, well worth it IMO. It's more versitile than the Shure. I'd say, if you are recording percussive Micheal Jackson / System of a Down style vocals, get the SM7b. If you are recording Luther Vandross / Vertical Horizon style vocals, get the MXL and mod it or buy it built.
Old 7th October 2004
Here for the gear

thanks, I was leaning towards the mojave, but i was wondering if anyone knew specifically about the difference between the MXL and ADK capsules? any preferences?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search