The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rode NT5 condensor mics
Old 30th September 2004
Lives for gear

Rode NT5 condensor mics

Hello...I just bought two pairs of Rode NT5 condenser mics. Someone told me that I just wasted my money. Anyone out there have any experience with these ? Also, I bought a Rode K2 and NT2000....any opinion on these ? I haven't yet got them out of their boxes....Kinda curious..... Thanks, Luke
Old 30th September 2004
Lives for gear

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...5&pagenumber=1

^ I posted a small comparison of NT5 and Neumann KM184 and KM84... IMO NT5 can be usefull, but...

My exp. with NT1000 is:

it is hard sounding, doesn't have to be problem on solo sometimes, but making mix of only (cheap) Rode miked things is hell on earth. You'll get very ugly sharp >2kHz and not enough info in let's say 200-700Hz.
Old 30th September 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Rode NT5 condensor mics

Quote:
Originally posted by lukejs
I just bought two pairs of Rode NT5 condenser mics. Someone told me that I just wasted my money. Anyone out there have any experience with these ?
I'm curious about your post which contains a number of puzzling statements, to which I would have to respond with these questions...

1. You bought TWO pairs of these mics without listening to them?
2. You are more worried about "what someone told you" rather than what you yourself hear?
3. Surely whether you have 'wasted your money' or not depends entirely on what you bought them for and what your budget is?
4. Is the 'High End' Forum the best place for this discussion?

I have experience with NT5's - I'm just not sure how best I can help you given the above?
Old 30th September 2004
You can't buy a better pair of matched mic's for the cost of the NT5's. They sound decent and are a good value. Of course if you want you can always spend more money and get Km 184's or AKG 414's which are more open mic's and have more detail in the high end.
Old 30th September 2004
Gear Addict

I have a pair of NT-5's and a K2 and I love them. Sure the NT-5's aren't KM-84's, but compare them to KM-184's and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Very close in tonality, and a matched pair is very well matched (at least mine is). The K2 is my favorite under $1000 mic on the market right now. Comparing these to the crappy old NT-1000 isn't even fair. The new generation of Rode that are designed and built in Australia blow away their old stuff that was cheapo chineese OEMed "price-point" mics. Listen to them before taking advice of anyone though.
Old 30th September 2004
Lives for gear

I got a steal on those mics !!!

OK....here's the scoop.... a studio owner told me that they were great mics and you could get a pair for under 500 dollars... so I went shopping..... I live in Mexico, so I was going to ship them from the usa down to my home, until low and behold, I found a Rode distributor here who had them on sale for $ 250 for a pair !!! So I quickly snatched up 2 pairs..... Then... to my amazement, I found some people that said they are crap.... which kinda pissed me off, since I've heard others say they are almost as good as the Neuman... just a little less crisp.. Well... if anybody wants them, they are still brand new in the box and I'll take 250 bucks for a pair !!!! See ya, Luke
Old 1st October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK....here's the scoop.... a studio owner told me that they were great mics and you could get a pair for under 500 dollars... so I went shopping..... I live in Mexico, so I was going to ship them from the usa down to my home, until low and behold, I found a Rode distributor here who had them on sale for $ 250 for a pair !!! So I quickly snatched up 2 pairs..... Then... to my amazement, I found some people that said they are crap.... which kinda pissed me off, since I've heard others say they are almost as good as the Neuman... just a little less crisp.. Well... if anybody wants them, they are still brand new in the box and I'll take 250 bucks for a pair !!!! See ya, Luke
good joke (are you buying and selling gear only because someone say something about it?)
Old 1st October 2004
Lives for gear

NO...no.... I heard your samples !!

Hello.. yes......if a studio owner friend of yours says they're good.... and various articles online, and you find them for 40% off their retail price, then you buy them. As for my opinion that they don't sound as clean, well , that is from your samples I downloaded of the Neuman's vs. the Rode's . You're probably right...I'm assuming that you knew what you were doing..... maybe I shouldn't trust the opinions of people in forums.... and trust my own ears......I'm going to test them against some Neuman's my friend has and make my own decision.
Old 1st October 2004
Lives for gear

Re: NO...no.... I heard your samples !!

Quote:
Originally posted by lukejs
maybe I shouldn't trust the opinions of people in forums...
On the contrary, there's no reason to distrust 'the opinions of people in forums'; the mistake people frequently make is in substituing these for their own.
Old 1st October 2004
Lives for gear

A friend that has expirience is a good source of info.

Forums as a whole can give you direction also, but you have to find people that has similar taste as you and lot of exp and work behind their opinion.

Articles on the web and in the magazines (but mostly in magazines) are missleading at least, I had never read an review that would scare me of the TL Audio FatMan when I was newbie, I mean no review was a slightly negative and guess what, this thing cuts subbas and is far from PHAT ;-).

The tests we did with NT5s and Neumanns are pretty valid TO ME. If i need bigger nr of small condensors, I'd consider a pair of NT5 as a good mic for unimportant sources and in the mix with the better mics it should do it's job well. However, this thread should be in the lowend ;-)
Old 1st October 2004
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by Songhead
. Sure the NT-5's aren't KM-84's, but compare them to KM-184's and you'll be pleasantly surprised. Very close in tonality,
Ok I'm one of those original posters that told Luke that I really thought the NT-5 was a very poor microphone. Allowing for variances in different sets of KM-184s and NT-5 I would have to disagree stongly with the statement above. The basis for this oopinion is a 3 week location recording I did about year back of a rock band. We were trying to capture as much of the perfomances live and so my mic locker was stretched to capacity. In the course of the session I tried a borrowed set of NT-5s on hats, OHs, acoustic guitar, different violins/cello/viola, room mics, even an upright piano. There was nothing and I really do mean nothing that they worked on. I was using good pres (Millenia/Vintech etc) into a Digi 192 i/o so the rest of the chain was pretty good. My other pair of of SD condensers on the session was KM184 (which I like but they don't blow my mind).

Now the fact that Luke paid $250 a pair changes things a little but if he is after quality then I think he could do a lot better.

And yes this should be in the low end forum,

cheers,
Ruairi
Old 1st October 2004
Lives for gear

I thought they were high end !

sorry guys..I'm kind of a newbie in the recording field, so sorry if I thought these were high end....it's that I stepped up to these from a shure pg81 !! For me... these were high end... now I know better !! Thanks guys !! Luke

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search