The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Micin' an Ovation
Old 7th October 2004
Lives for gear

Change your expectations

Ovation is the Totino's Party Pizza of acoustic guitars. Now, I enjoy one o' them $1.23 Totinos every now and again, but it ain't a freakin' pizza. I'm able to enjoy it because I appreciate it for what it is rather than judging it for what it's trying to be. You wouldn't fault a Gibson Hummingbird for not having the tubby, un-recordable low-end of a nice Martin any more than you'd fault a Chicago-style Deep Dish pie for not being baked in the morning and left out on the counter all day like a New York style pizza. So rather than complain about the Ovation not sounding like a piece of wood, I think the best approach is to use it whenever the sound of a plastic salad bowl is appropriate to the song and to your mood. This is an aesthetic approach, not a technique, but it will guide youre choices about mike selection and placement because it will shape your expectations when it comes time to record an Ovation. Let it sound like an Ovation rather than trying to make it sound like a guitar.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search