The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beghringer Tube Composer VS Presonus Blue Max
Old 22nd September 2004
Lives for gear

Beghringer Tube Composer VS Presonus Blue Max

Being as I am a low-budget studio owner, I have very few quality (expensive) analog compressors. In the last year I have been almost exclusively using a Presonus BlueMax as my recording chain compressor. However, I recently pulled my Behringer Tube Composer out of the "live sound rack" and made it part of my recording chain. After doing some direct comparisons b/w the Behringer and presonus (on Vocals and stereo buss!) I have had some weird results...The composer sounds so much better on almost everything ! The Behringer just sounds so much more transparent in the way it limits. When running my stereo buss through the two units (getting 3-5db GR) and comparing, I find that the blue max sounds crushed, bruised and really lo-fi (small stereo image, less highs, etc) Meanwhile, the Behringer sounds clean and realistic (even with the limiters kicking in and 5db GR, w/ auto mode and interactive curve...)
I just though it was interesting that there was so much of a difference in quality in sound b/w these units. Could it be that the behringer and presonus meters aren't calibrated to anywhere near each other? Or does anyone else find that this Behringer unit is totally underrated, maybe the blue max just sucks? Comments please...I could post samples if y'all are interested...
Old 22nd September 2004
Lives for gear
OH-NO! I think you just opened the flood gates, Run!
Old 14th October 2004
Old 15th October 2004
Lives for gear

I've used the Composer and "Tube composer" (basically Composer Pro with useless "starved plate" distortion "option") extensively. Both are unobtrusive in character, and not noisy.

However, when the "warmth" knob is engaged on the "tube" model, a bit of hiss introduced into the sound, so I don't use it!

You can get some grunge if you crank the settings(low thresh, late attack fast release) and get the peak limiter working, but its smooth, punchy and clean generally!
Old 15th October 2004
Gear Addict

I just mixed a project w/ a couple blue maxes. It worked OK on my lead vocal, but I didn't hit it real hard. Just enough to keep it up front in the mix. I used one of the vocal presets, called "screamer".

It really was great on the snare drum. It gave it a nice trashy/rock quality. I don't really compress things hard, so maybe my opinion is kinda one-sided. Next time I'm gonna get some RNC's as well.
Old 15th October 2004
I friend that records a whole bunch of top acts here in Brazil swears by Behringer stuff... and HATES Presonus stuff.
To him, Behringer has beter price/performance than Presonus... The only Behringer products I tried are the Truths and HA4400 and never used Presonus.
Old 16th October 2004
Lives for gear

since that post..

Since that first post i have invested in (1) RNC. The Behringer is back in the live rack due to some recent listens, and graphical comparisons. I was right in stating that the meters may be off. The behringer unit is faulty. Either that or it detects and compresses only inaudible frequencies. When registering 5db GR w/the peak limiter light coming on, the composer's resulting tracks still showed huge spikes and clips on my waveform display. Meanwile, the BlueMax track was visually squashed at 3-5db GR. Lately I use the Presonus when I want warm, (distorted) audible compression (BASS, room mics, certain VOX, etc, think LA-2a uses) and the RNC as my limiter (ratios above 4:1). The Composer works live because I am normally gating, and then compresssing the hell out of vocals with it....works great for that....Screw thw whole tube circuit....sound like a high pass filter with distortion added in!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search