The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Setting up studio
Old 24th May 2008
Here for the gear
Setting up studio

I just spent a few months working in production at a commercial radio station here in Melbourne, Aus. Producing stuff for on-air use while the production crew were understaffed.

Now, Ive decided to start up my own (home) studio.

The gear I'm looking at getting:

Mbox 2 Mini
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Yamaha NS-10s
Rode NT2-A
Not sure what cans to get, but I'm looking at a pair of AKG's - K141

In terms of microphones, is the NT2-A good/ok for recording vocals? acoustic instruments?
Anything I should add/delete to this list?

I have a lot of experience in live sound and in producing audio, but limited experience in the actual studio setup.
Old 24th May 2008
Here for the gear

With regards to cans, AKG DT100's are kinda of industry standard (that doesn't necessarily mean they're any good! Personally i think they're clumsy and sound like crap, gimme sennheiser any, but each to their own).
I would reconsider the NS10's. Again, they're industry standards but they're mostly used as a comparison to "good" speakers; they sound pretty hi-fi/box-y and for the same price you could get something a bit more revealing, and clear, that you'd probably enjoy mixing on more. I'd suggest samson rubicon r5's (they're the poor mans adam a5!) (I know cos I'm a poor man!)
The m-audio oxygen is dynamite tho! great interface.
Also, have you considered a dedicated pre-amp/channel strip?
Old 24th May 2008
Here for the gear
Quote:
With regards to cans, AKG DT100's are kinda of industry standard (that doesn't necessarily mean they're any good! Personally i think they're clumsy and sound like crap, gimme sennheiser any, but each to their own).
I would reconsider the NS10's. Again, they're industry standards but they're mostly used as a comparison to "good" speakers; they sound pretty hi-fi/box-y and for the same price you could get something a bit more revealing, and clear, that you'd probably enjoy mixing on more. I'd suggest samson rubicon r5's (they're the poor mans adam a5!) (I know cos I'm a poor man!)
The m-audio oxygen is dynamite tho! great interface.
Also, have you considered a dedicated pre-amp/channel strip?
Thanks for the tips. The only reason I kinda decided on NS10's is that I've had the most experience using them, the only other monitors ive had experience with are $10,000 emes monitors (which are hugely out of my price range). I will have a look at the rubicon's.

Haven't considered a dedicated pre-amp/channel strip... Anything you would suggest?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search