The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Echo Layla compared to Mbox or 828mkII Audio Interfaces
Old 26th August 2004
Gear Head

Echo Layla compared to Mbox or 828mkII

There's a new Layla coming out, now with dual preamps and supposedly better converters. I'm considering this as a replacement for my mBox, which these days I'm using only as a front-end to Logic.

Can anyone comment on how Echo's previous Layla stacks up converter-wise to either the mBox or the 828mkII? Is the Layla a lateral move, a step up, or a step down? I realize the new one will be its own beast--I'm just looking for comments on the old Layla as a point of comparison.
Old 25th September 2004
Echo Layla vs. the others

I used the Echo Layla 24 for about a year before I replaced it with an Apogee AD16X. I was happy to hear that recordings improved, but also left to wonder if the difference was worth the extra $3000. It actually gave me a greater respect for the Layla and how good it really is for the money.

Before the Echo Layla I used the Aardvark Q10, and the converters are a little better in the Layla 24. I havn't used MOTU, but I know their converters are made by the same company who makes the Echo Layla 24's converters, AKM I believe. The new Layla 3G is supposed to have even better converters than the Layla 24. Pretty impressive seeing how the 3G is about $100 less than the Layla 24.
Attached Thumbnails
Echo Layla compared to Mbox or 828mkII-layla3g_both_small.jpg  
Old 25th September 2004
Lives for gear

I think to recall that folks on DUC were saying that the Digi 001 was better sounding than the Mbox.
- Before the 001 I had an Echo Darla card, the little brother of the Layla and it sounded way better than the 001 in my opinion.

So, if I see that right you should get much better sound with the Layla thumbsup, not to speak of if the new model sounded better than the former one.

Ruphus
Old 25th September 2004
Gear Head

I had Layla24 and sell it for Lynx2, if you really need firewire and 8 i/o, you can check the new layla and RME, but if not, why not try Lynx2.
Old 25th September 2004
Gear Head

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear that people are liking Echo gear.

tuna, the LynxTwo looks nice, but I need preamps--and would like to bring the whole package in for less than what the LynxTwo plus a preamp would cost.
Old 15th October 2004
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by tuna
I had Layla24 and sell it for Lynx2...
Do you find a big difference in sound between the Layla and the Lynx?
Old 28th April 2005
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIE i/o
There's a new Layla coming out, now with dual preamps and supposedly better converters. I'm considering this as a replacement for my mBox, which these days I'm using only as a front-end to Logic.

Can anyone comment on how Echo's previous Layla stacks up converter-wise to either the mBox or the 828mkII? Is the Layla a lateral move, a step up, or a step down? I realize the new one will be its own beast--I'm just looking for comments on the old Layla as a point of comparison.

I have The Motu 2408 v2 4 years I'm using it & got layla 24Bit from one of my friend's, just to do a recording with 96 sample rate motu2408 v2 higher sample is 48mhz only, I've A\B'd the Layla and the Motu2408 v2 I hate my self using the Dark Motu the deference was very very big Motu was very dark the Layla 24bit was soooo soooooooooooo Much brighter like there was a blanket on the sound and layla has removed it ... the sound is very rich with layla it gave full range to my mix I realy hate the deference I've discoverd between Motu & layla cuz I feel that I've wasted very long time 4 years with the dark converter's of the motu digging & not getting the Oil.
I was not happy with most of the recording's I did before Motu made me feel like this is my limit It can't be better then that.. hopeless but after trying the Layla 24 It made the deference in my life My Music sound very much better...Still using my friend's Layla 24 I will buy very soon the new Layla 3G but not from ebay cuz I've lost $4000 last month Iv'e send the money and get nothing. it was a good lesson for me but very expensive one take care guy's

My Studio system :
Yamha O2r v2
Muto 2408 v2 I will sale it very soooooooon
Mointors Mackie HR824
Avalon AD2022 mic preamp
Neumann M149 juble
Sure ksm44
At-4050
panasonic dat
Revox Cassette Recorder.
.. and so..

Motu connected to my Yamaha O2r through the optical cables.

The LAYLA 24Bit is a realy great Interface but I'm still and always looking for better and better, my next step after the Layla 3G will be Apogee Rosetta 800 or Pro tools HD3 system.

And I will keep my 3G for Giga studio samlper.

Life is Much brighter with Layla

Sorry for the very long story

Thanks,

Regard's

Abdulla Al balushi
Old 28th April 2005
Gear interested

Arrow

Just to make it clear to you guy's

The test was in 44.100 samlping rate & 16/24 bit..

Regards,

Abdullah

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search