The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MXL V67G - Low End Drum Overhead Pair? Condenser Microphones
Old 6th May 2008
Lives for gear

Best Low End Drum Overhead Pair - MXL V67Gs? Others?

Trying to get a "decent" pair of OHs for demos, on a budget.

AT4050s are out of my budget right now.

So far, I've been using an MCA SP-1 so far as a single OH and its OK...

Anyone using the V67Gs for a OH drum pair?

Last edited by infopimpster; 7th May 2008 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: Editing headline to be more general....
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

I am not sure which mic is the v67Gs. I only saw the g on the site.

I have (ok, my studio partner has) some (now obsoleted) v77's. They have a tube and a power supply.

A dealer brought them over and asked "what do I think." I bought a pair of the sdc mxl600's (I think, they have no model number and this is like 8 years ago). Gary, the partner, bought a pair of those sdc's and a pair of the v77's, so we liked them.

We tried them as overheads and they worked for some rock where if the high end tended to "smear" it was no big deal. Actually, I hear the same high end smearing from the sdc's.

We tried the v77's as room mics and they kind of lived for that purpose. One day I noticed that one v77 started to sound lighter, softer, less bass response. So, stereo use was out, and eventually I put it in a case where it sits today. The other one became our outside kick drum mic, and did it rather well, IMO. Now I notice the low end is not as present as I remembered.

I spoke with John Peluso recently. He called me right after I sent an e-mail. He spoke of the v77 with some regard. He makes a mod kit (circuit card) that uses his P12 capsule! He quoted me a price and I am hounding Gary to send the pair there to get hooked up.

Back to your original question, I kind of always thought of the v77 and v67 as the "second generation" of MXL and compared to the first, the MXL2001, I thought these (well, the v77 and 600) were fine mics for the price. I think you will be able to work with them, and the nice thing is that John Peluso offers an upgrade path should your tastes change or you budget grows.

THAT being said, for overheads, you may want to look at a slightly higher quality pair of sdc's in your budget. If you are mic-ing a full kit, and your room 'could be better,' you may find sdc's more manageable.

Here are a couple of mics I saw online you may want to research/ask about as well.

MXL 993 Condenser Microphones Stereo Pair
The MXL 993 Condenser Mics Stereo Pair incudes the latest in quality instrument microphones. Using transformerless FET circuitry and gold diaphragm...
SALE!
Price: $149.99 Item Ships Free!
List Price: $299.99
Rating:

Audio-Technica AT3031 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
The Audio-Technica AT3031 Cardioid Condenser Microphone has a high maximum SPL and wide dynamic range and low self-noise. Audio-Technica built the...
Price: $169.00 Item Ships Free!
List Price: $259.00
Rating:

R0DE M3 Multi-Powered Small Diaphragm Condenser Microphone
The RDE M3 is an extremely versatile, low-noise wide-response, small diaphragm cardioid condenser than can save your bacon in a number of ways. For...
Price: $199.00 Item Ships Free!
List Price: $299.00

Audio-Technica ATM33a Cardioid Condenser Microphone
The Audio Technica ATM33a Cardioid Condenser Microphone is ideal for acoustic guitar, percussion, overheads, vocals and more. It features high-SPL...
Price: $159.99 Item Ships Free!
List Price: $290.00
Rating:

And here is what I want to hear (after we mod our v77's):
AVANTONE CV-12 TUBE MIC

but I think those are way more than you want to spend.
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

Nice! I'm also open to anything in the Chance Group Buy in which I'm already participating.

I'd say I'm open to up to... $300 per mic.

-steve
Old 7th May 2008

On a budget, there are a couple of good choices.

ATM450 - about $350 / pr

SP C4 - I think still about $325/ pr

... in a good room (or with a cymbal basher)

KEL HM1 - about $275/ pr

If your budget is lower than that, then good luck - and think used....

-tINY

Old 7th May 2008
i'm happy with the at2020's i picked up for dirt cheap for OH
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by infopimpster View Post

Anyone using the V67Gs for a OH drum pair?
The V67 mics are quite usable and for me to say that about a low cost Chinese condenser is very high praise. I use them as room mics and some times cymbal mics quite often.

But if I had a tiny budget and was looking for something for overheads I would buy one Shure KSM32 and record mono overheads. the KSM32 is a stunning overhead mic and can be had for about $300 used. Fantastic mono overhead is better than OK stereo overhead.
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. Now a trusted advisor has me looking at SM81s (used or new matching pair) as an option - he thinks it would buck the trend of the mics many use today:

Quote:
Used SM81s. It'll come out to $400-$420 together if you buy them at the right time. An amazing pair of small diaphragm condensers. They're accurate, pick up transients well... they're not as sparkly and *&^% as 451s, but this can often be a good thing. In a world of cheap chinese condensers, something without hyped high end and sucked out midrange, will stand out as classy.

They also have an amazing low end. I mic'd some african percussion with an AT4033 and the sm81, not knowing which to use. The 4033 produced the sound of the instrument. The sm81 did too, but with this extra octave of amazing low end.. that vibrated the room.

The other cool thing about the sm81s compared to rode and mxl is that in ten years they will be worth five cents.. actually, right after you buy them they'll be pretty worthless. But the sm81s could be sold for what you bought them for.
I like Shure stuff and trust this guy... but it gets "worse" because now I'm finding links like these:

JOSEPHSON E22S
Mercenary Audio - Josephson e22S Electrical Audio Edition Microphone

JOESPHSON C42MP
Mercenary Audio - Joesphson C42MP Matched Pair

And my tax refund is burning a hole.

Boy... it sure is a slippery slope toward G.A.S....

PS: when I say "SM81s" the 's' refers to the plural of SM81.... usage "just put up a couple SM57s" Sorry if that was confusing!

-steve
Old 7th May 2008
Gear Nut

Steve,

The Josephson and Peluso SDC's will sound much more HiFi than the SM81.
No trend bucking with the SM81 by the way...they have been standard issue for a long time.

I have a pair of V67 that I use for Tom Mics. I actually upgraded the Capsules to Peluso 67. Sounds GREAT. They are on the 'dark side' (stock and upgraded) in a good way.

You should check out CAD E70 SDC's. Great mics for the money.

jmp
Old 7th May 2008

I never liked the 81's on overhead duty much - they work, but smooth out the cymbals a little too much for my taste (no bite left). They aint bad, though...

What kit are you micin' and what's the room like? Without a pretty big room, I'd stay away from a pair of LDCs on overheads.

-tINY

Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

Small room.

Just doing tracking in room linked above and in a room 3x as big but just as tall.

Versatility for chosen is a plus as my mic cabinet is still pretty small.
Old 7th May 2008
KEL
Lives for gear

not a whole lot of room treatment in that room and very proximate smooth walls. Red flag alert IMO.

I'd go with RCM's advice and use a mono OH in that space. XY after that. A spaced pair will tend to wash out a lot of the sources in such a lightly treated room.

SM81s always work. Studio Projects C4s are quite nice. GT or Sterling GT33(ST33) are another overlooked mic that does well.
Old 7th May 2008
Lives for gear

Well... there IS treatment on the ceiling - you can't see in that photo, see here:

Sven's Gallery :: Studio Remodel :: ceiling_0917

This is GIK's room package #1 plus another 242 on the ceiling. Surprised you think my treatment is insufficient... I thought I was pretty well "covered".
Old 8th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tINY View Post

I never liked the 81's on overhead duty much - they work, but smooth out the cymbals a little too much for my taste (no bite left). They aint bad, though...

-tINY

I agree.
Old 8th May 2008
Gear maniac

I use two AT3035's for overheads. Combined total of $400ish. Some people say they find them "grainy". I like them so far, no complaints.

-ScottyD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search