The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha HS50 vs. MSP5 Studio Monitors
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear

Yamaha HS50 vs. MSP5

hey guys,

has anybody used both of these monitors?
I am reading only good stuff about the MSP5´s and some negative stuff about the HS50´s....I need a new pair of monitors that will travel around with me, they need to be active monitors and not too big...I currently own passive events 20/20.

any opinions out there?

cheers

alex
Old 26th April 2008
Deleted #8726
I have the MSP5 for about 5 years now. They just work great and translate well. The only downside is that the low-end isn't much, in my room.

I don't have experience with the HS50 but the shops still sell them both, right?
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

thanks for the replie...anybody else who´s heard both of these monitors?
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

i've only heard the msp's a few times (a friend of mine runs them) and i use the 50m's

i've onl mixed on the msp's twice, i think the room wasn't that well treated but they didn't translate as well as my 50's,..granted i'm pretty used to them.

he also has a set of 50's (amongst a million others) and he prefers the 50m's also.

just my .02 though, can you get somewhere to listen to them both?
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

i´ll check both monitors out tomorrow....i´ll take radioheads "in rainbows" with me.

thanks for all the replies

alex
Old 28th January 2010
Gear Head

hey alexi,
how did the comparison go? i know this was a while ago........i am on the fence for the msp5s......my concern is their bass.......
Old 28th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlygrowl View Post
hey alexi,
how did the comparison go? i know this was a while ago........i am on the fence for the msp5s......my concern is their bass.......
MSP5s are the best MIXING monitor I used till now. (I frequently use(d) JBL4430, Alesis Monitor One, M1 Mk2, Genelec 1029A + 1091 sub, Dynaudio BM15, Avantone Mixcubes, etc. infrequently I also used Genelec 1031, ADAM S2.5A, different Tannoys, etc. )

They don't have real deep bass, but they have much mid bass - in the range most hi-fi speakers are - and are ideal "hi-fi" reference to mix on (IMO)...
If these will be your only monitors, you might wish to get a subwoofer or better - get MSP7. But you can mix easily only on them, too.

I use my MSP5 along with Dynaudio BM15 and Avantone Mixcubes and with those three all my needs are covered and I have no more "realistic" monitoring wishes... Those B&W N800 will have to wait for another lifetime.
Old 29th January 2010
I have the HS50's and have spent time with the MSP5's. The HS 50's, the way I have them configured are more like the NS 10m. They are not that fun to listen to. They make even some major label mixes vulnerable. Meaning, you can hear that the mixer really cranked the high end on the vocal to get it to feature better, etc...
You can hear everything going on in that mid area, which is key.
The MSP's sound more pleasing to the ear, and remind me of the Mackies in that you hear more of a soft detail, which many people like. I want to hear the poop, especially strident highs and mid highs, which the NS 10 and 50m excel at.
They are both good. I will say, I have owned Tannoy's M-Audio's and spent a lot of time around high end monitors, and I am able to translate better to different stereos, etc... better with the HS 50's than any other. I am hearing things I never did before.
The MSP will sound smoother, depending on how you configure the monitors.

Last edited by babydaddymusic; 31st January 2010 at 01:56 AM.. Reason: Put NS instead of HS
Old 29th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydaddymusic View Post
I have the NS50's and have spent time with the MSP5's. The NS 50's, the way I have them configured are more like the NS 10m.
by ns50 do you mean hs50?

And to my ears HS50 and NS10's doesnt sound the same, no matter how I config them.
Old 30th January 2010
Gear interested

I have used them both extensively and found the MSP5's to translate much better. They are more of an engineers speaker with a flat response. Plus they have a clip LED on them that can come in handy for pushing them to their limit. If you are mixing pop, rnb, or rap you'll def need a sub with these.

If you're more into production I would recommend the HS50 as they beat a little harder with a louder bottom. They are much more common in project studios too. This can be good for taking your projects to other places and trusting your mixes when doing so.

These are both good speakers. You've chosen wisely to narrow it down to them. You can't really go wrong. The Important thing is that whatever you decide on, you stick with and learn them inside and out. That's what will determine both their and your value.

Good Luck!
Old 30th January 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
hey guys,

has anybody used both of these monitors?
I am reading only good stuff about the MSP5´s and some negative stuff about the HS50´s....I need a new pair of monitors that will travel around with me, they need to be active monitors and not too big...I currently own passive events 20/20.

any opinions out there?

cheers

alex
The most important word that you said was 'travel'.Not sure if everyone else took this into account.

If you're going to travel... this means your rooms/environments will be changing. It also means you need something that is durable.

In your specific situation... I'd say the HS50s.

If you weren't traveling, I'd recommend the MSP5s.
Old 30th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgizmo View Post
The most important word that you said was 'travel'.Not sure if everyone else took this into account.

If you're going to travel... this means your rooms/environments will be changing. It also means you need something that is durable.

In your specific situation... I'd say the HS50s.

If you weren't traveling, I'd recommend the MSP5s.
I don't want to pimp MSP5 too much, but isn't the reality a bit different? HS50 are indeed smaller and also very compact, but MSP5 are one of the most sturdy monitors I have ever seen - compact and built like a tank and they have metal protective grilles over the driver. They are the first monitors I carry around without thinking twice... So, I would recommend the MSP5 IF he would be traveling with them.
Old 30th January 2010
Gear nut

Yeap, I would also go for (I did) the MSP5, if your traveling, grill, well built etc.

Also take into consideration that the MSP5 are front port! (they have the air ports in front and not in the back of the speaker) That makes setups much easier. Good luck and have fun!

Best, Mike
Old 30th January 2010
Lives for gear

I was soooo set BEFORE I got NS10's. No I have been second guessing the need for HS80 and HS50. I def need smaller ones when I'm traveling. And I have been thinking a lot selling my HS50 and getting MSP5... but not sure, yet heh NS10 are here to stay. I just love their sound. My ears must be different
Old 30th January 2010
Never used the MSP5's but just got the Hs50M about a month ago (actually off a felow slut member thumbsup). Have been loving them so far, using them as a second set with a pair of Mackie's. Not sure they would be ideal for main monitors though.
Old 4th October 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
MSP5s are the best MIXING monitor I used till now. (I frequently use(d) JBL4430, Alesis Monitor One, M1 Mk2, Genelec 1029A + 1091 sub, Dynaudio BM15, Avantone Mixcubes, etc. infrequently I also used Genelec 1031, ADAM S2.5A, different Tannoys, etc. )

They don't have real deep bass, but they have much mid bass - in the range most hi-fi speakers are - and are ideal "hi-fi" reference to mix on (IMO)...
If these will be your only monitors, you might wish to get a subwoofer or better - get MSP7. But you can mix easily only on them, too.

I use my MSP5 along with Dynaudio BM15 and Avantone Mixcubes and with those three all my needs are covered and I have no more "realistic" monitoring wishes... Those B&W N800 will have to wait for another lifetime.
I didnt use as many monitors as you, but I fully agree.

I know this is pretty old thread, but I see people asking for the yamaha's from time to time so I will give my opinion on MSP and HS series:

I used first msp-5 and then hs80. I must admit, that I loved msp-5's. They felt like a great tool for mixing: very revealing mids, the transient response was very good. They were bright, but not too bright.
I immediately heard what was wrong with the mix. Finished mixes translated well.

So then I read all those great reviews of HS80's and because I mix mostly hip-hop and I needed to hear low bass better, I bought a pair of HS80's.... and I HATED them. They were super harsh, not as revealing in mids as msp-5 and my mixes were much worse on hs80's than those made on msp-5's (even thought that when I had msp's I had smaller room and almost no bass traps in the room at that time).

HS and MSP series sound different.

Now I use Dynaudio's, but I promised myself, that one day I will definitely buy msp-5's again.
Old 7th October 2010
Gear maniac

I have th HS50s and love them
though I did have to get used to them because they are bass shy
so all my mixes ended up being bass heavy

but just go and test these two yourself
in the end monitor choice is very subjective

I've read all kinds of opinions on this forum
people who swear by Dynaudio or Genelecs
and then again others who claim to have tested the best monitors out there and they prefer Behringer Truths

regardless of what you pick, you're going to have to learn the monitors in your room to make mixes that translate well

so go to a music store, test both of your choices (and several others in the price range) and choose whichever sounds best to you
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildebass View Post
others who claim to have tested the best monitors out there and they prefer Behringer Truths

regardless of what you pick, you're going to have to learn the monitors in your room to make mixes that translate well
heh

Anyways, it's so true that you have to learn whatever you end up getting. NS10 are good example of monitors which many use as almost their only pair and end up with great mixes. Brendan O'Brien mostly uses NS10 for everything. And then there's good sounding stuff made with HS80 and other full range monitors. It's all about learning. Just pick the ones that make the most sense to you
Old 7th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
....I need a new pair of monitors that will travel around with me..

cheers

alex
Msp's have a sturdy mesh protecting the bass/mid driver which is a big plus if you're travelling with them.
Old 5th March 2011
Gear interested

In previous post I wrote that I promised myself that I will get msp5's again... (I sold one pair in past).

So, I got one pair. And after working for some longer time with dynaudio's, I somehow don't find msp5's as good as I did in past.
Maybe my pair was abused (bought used again), I don't know.
I feel like there is some "blur" in the low mids.
Suprisingly, in past I would find msp5 to be very revealing in lower mids region. That's why I suspect that something might be wrong with my pair.

Any ideas? Is it possible the monitors are broken or are just not as good in reality compared to my memories?
Old 3rd September 2013
Here for the gear

I brought back to my studio the MSP5 after sometime trying with other nearfield monitors... now I am happy again. Great transient response and mixes translate quite good. They are really great for their price.

Bass response is not a problem for me as I have large midfield speakers too.
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear
I had MPS5 and NS10M as well for years, but now my monitors are Equator D5..
Old 6th April 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post
I had MPS5 and NS10M as well for years, but now my monitors are Equator D5..
Are they any better than the MPS5's?
Old 6th April 2016
Lives for gear
yes, they're way better in detail and space.
Old 6th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandude View Post
yes, they're way better in detail and space.
How is the low end? Are they translating as good as the msp5 ?
Old 27th October 2016
Gear Nut

for anyone thinking about buying the MSP5 studio...

GO A HEAD AND BUY THEM! YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!
Old 1st November 2016
Lives for gear

They are nice little speakers, useful and you can carry them around... I now feel more love for the Neumann KH120 I use now. I make much better mixes on them, more confident that I really hear what I am doing and they are even more compact and bullet-proof - I carry them around even for some multi-channel performances - I wish they would be a bit more powerful - they "clip" easily with strong bass - not a problem for regular mixing though...

So, yes, MSP5 good, but if you can stretch the budget - KH120 are the same thing, just much better, more natural, more extended bass... (even though I use SW10 sub along with them, but they don't need it that much as the MSP5 did...)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
I've got a pair of MSP-5 and MSP-3 monitors for sale. I moved to Genelec is the only reason. They are amazing to mix with.

PM me if interested.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Listener View Post
They are nice little speakers, useful and you can carry them around... I now feel more love for the Neumann KH120 I use now. I make much better mixes on them, more confident that I really hear what I am doing and they are even more compact and bullet-proof - I carry them around even for some multi-channel performances - I wish they would be a bit more powerful - they "clip" easily with strong bass - not a problem for regular mixing though...

So, yes, MSP5 good, but if you can stretch the budget - KH120 are the same thing, just much better, more natural, more extended bass... (even though I use SW10 sub along with them, but they don't need it that much as the MSP5 did...)
Do you hi pass the signal going from the subwoofer to your KH120's?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampar View Post
Do you hi pass the signal going from the subwoofer to your KH120's?
No. I just add lowest of end from the sub...

I still use Neumanns and no need to improve here... They work and are so portable, that I can use them for sound installations and sound art performances - I would only like to have a bit more powerful version - in live setting - for the performances they tend to clip when there is too powerful bass - they cannot handle it... I also have "stronger" Yamaha HS8, but they don't sound so neutral and fine as KH120... I am talking about installation sound now... for the studio they are loud enough for me... most of the time...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search