The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"Colourful" Mic Pres?
Old 16th April 2008
Here for the gear

Talking "Colourful" Mic Pres?

Ok - new here and have been scouring the vast - VAST - number of threads about Mic Pres - super helpful information - pretty extensive pool of knowledge on this site.

Like everyone else here, I'm in the market for some new gear. One of the things that I'm after is a solid workhorse mic Pre - but given that it's mostly for vocals (and maybe the stray acoustic guitar... and I guess DI'd bass/guitar) - I'm after something with a bit of colour... there seem to be a lot of pres, especially the sort of lower end and MOR ones that are just very... plain. I've heard lots that are incredibly clear and open and have plenty of gain - but what I'm wondering is which ones people think have a really distinct colour to them (that is pleasing of course)?

I'd like to of course test a bunch before buying, but I doubt that the local shop will stock too many of them so it will partly be a leap of faith unfortunately.

I know this is the Low End forum, but I'm not totally averse to options that aren't budget... just maybe not the ones that are like 3 grand a channel.

Ok and now just because it's there on the side:

dfegad

NICE.
Old 16th April 2008
Lives for gear

I'm not sure about their mic pres, but I have gotten some NASTY good color out of ART's Pro VLA compressor.

I would imagine that you can push the mic pres just the same way...crank up the gain, turn down the output.

The output knob on the Pro VLA compressor has some serious mojo.
Old 16th April 2008
Lives for gear

I think the Seventh Circle Audio A12 (API type) and N72 (Neve type) both have colour but are clean enough to get a great recording of any source. And yes, they definitely sound different from each other.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search