The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Recording amp head & using software Cab sim
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Head

Talking Recording amp head & using software Cab sim

Hi All --

I was wondering if it's possible to successfully record the output of an amp head to my computer, and then use a Cabinet simulation to properly process it?

I'd be doing this with something like Amplitube, but disabling the Amp simulation (as the signal going through the plugin would be a real amp) and leaving the Cabinet simulation on.

Do I need to take special precautions when doing this, and/or will it even sound properly?
Old 3rd April 2008
Gear Head

Sorry I should clarify that I'm speaking of a 100watt Guitar Amp head with two 1/4-inch speaker outputs.
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

NO!! NO NO NO NO!!!

Do NOT plug speaker outputs into anything other than a speaker cabinet unless you want to fry it. BAD IDEA.

If the amp head has a LINE OUT, you can safely use that (though, a lot of amps - mostly tube - don't like to be run without some type of speaker or impedance load attached.. .you've been warned).

Now that I've got the sufficient warning out of the way. How will it sound? Probably like you used a preamp into your computer.. but it won't sound like an amp through speakers, because it's not. It may sound good, it may sound awful - more often than not, it sounds awful.
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Head

[QUOTE=biggator6;1958770]NO!! NO NO NO NO!!!

Do NOT plug speaker outputs into anything other than a speaker cabinet unless you want to fry it. BAD IDEA.

If the amp head has a LINE OUT, you can safely use that (though, a lot of amps - mostly tube - don't like to be run without some type of speaker or impedance load attached.. .you've been warned).

Bumping a really old thread here but wanted to make sure I got this right... So I can use the line out (NOT the speaker output) of a Marshall head into one of my preamps to record through a CAB emulator (amplitude/Logic pro guitar rig)? Really looking for the beef the preamp gives to go along with the plugin.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=youncester;11028570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
NO!! NO NO NO NO!!!

Bumping a really old thread here but wanted to make sure I got this right... So I can use the line out (NOT the speaker output) of a Marshall head into one of my preamps to record through a CAB emulator (amplitude/Logic pro guitar rig)? Really looking for the beef the preamp gives to go along with the plugin.

Thanks in advance.
Yes you can use the line out.. but make sure that you have some kind of load on the speaker outputs or you'll blow things up. Tube amps don't like running without a load on the output. If you need silent recording - get a Weber MASS or something similar (dummy load device).
Old 10th May 2015
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=youncester;11028570]
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator6 View Post
NO!! NO NO NO NO!!!

Thanks in advance.
Did you blow anything up? Are you still alive?
Old 23rd June 2016
Here for the gear

Gonna go ahead and revive the dead thread.. As we've grown to know you can take the 1/4 out that normally goes to a cabinet, and plug it into a load box, which then has a line level out to go to your sound card, that's how you would properly do it.. YOU NEED A LOAD Box,

As for the how will it sound... Awesome, too many impulse responses and effects for it to sound unmentionable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search