The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's the hardest thing for you to record?
Old 20th July 2004
One with big hooves

What's the hardest thing for you to record?

I'm not talking about endurance like dealing with a bad singer. I'm talking about getting good tones from an instrument...

Give it a go...
Old 20th July 2004
Moderator emeritus

Aside from the fact that I'm never 100% satisfied with anything, I think that I'm least satisfied with the sounds I get recording a dobro. The tracks are workable, but they don't make me smile.
Old 20th July 2004
Jam
Lives for gear

Myself !!!
More specifically my own guitar sound I find it almost impossible to separate what I think it sounds like ( the feel you get when playing ) to what it sounds like in context. I quite often waste half a day with something I'm pleased with at the time just to realize it's not the right sound when I play it back after a break.
I have to have another person in the room when I do gtrs just to bring some clarity to proceedings.

Jam
Old 20th July 2004
Bass

I think its because I rarely get the right combo of

good player
good bass gtr

In my studio

Bass players tend to get kinda 'ripped off' in my mixes....

Where I interned I grew up watching the engineers being very wary of wooly bass end, they belived it would 'mess up' the records they were making...

I guess some of that stuck ..... a little too much with me....

It's a definite failing in me as an engineer...

But I have a zen / ninja theory about bass..

All ones life one is nearing perfection closer and closer to the perfect bass sound .. the day you do perfect it.... you die!

Yep.. I'm definitely SCARED of too much bass!

Old 20th July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Martin
Aside from the fact that I'm never 100% satisfied with anything, I think that I'm least satisfied with the sounds I get recording a dobro. The tracks are workable, but they don't make me smile.
At the danger of overstating the obvious, but have you tried a Beta 57? I'm no expert but I found most condensers to be too 'nice' for dobro. Another thing I did in PT was using the GMR BandPass and sometimes the Digi LoFi plug-in (set to almost no effect percentage).
But then again as a Tele player/sometime dobro struggler, I find dobro to be the most difficult thing to amplify in a live setting.

Andi
Old 20th July 2004
Lives for gear

aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!

definitely drums are the toughest for me.
i hate the things. also typically a lot of drummers dont maintain and tune their kits properly..
Old 20th July 2004
Gear Head

I've been doing this for many years, and frankly I have never been happy with listening to a piano back. And I think the reason for this is that, whilst other things work fine, pianos sound horrible through speakers.
Old 20th July 2004
One with big hooves

Re: aaaaaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!

Quote:
Originally posted by manning1
definitely drums are the toughest for me.
i hate the things. also typically a lot of drummers dont maintain and tune their kits properly..
That's 80% of the battle. Get a drummer with a well maintained and tuned kit and it'll record it's self.

I have tons of problems with harmonica, both live and in the studio. Harp with a Green Bullet through a small amp is never a problem but straight harp? I dunno, it just never sounds right to me.
Old 20th July 2004
Lives for gear

For me, thus far the two hardest things for me to record are:

- trumpet with harmony mute
- anything that will generate residual income

Ken
Old 20th July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:

Jerry Douglas would make you smile.
Old 20th July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Put an 1176 compressor on your dobro tracks, pulls in those weird transients.
Old 20th July 2004
Lives for gear

Sorry for the ignorance, but what is a Dobro ??
Old 20th July 2004
Lives for gear

I find Piano to be the most difficult. I can't for the life of me get the things to sound natural.... at least what I feel sounds natural.

Bass is next on the list. Seems it's either pretty much there from the moment I get level (lil' squeeze, lil' "Q" maybe) or I'm in hell! If I have to start muscling a bass tone around all that much... I'm fooked. Not that I can't get something that works, just can't make myself happy about it (I've come to realise that "happiness" is pretty much a utopian concept... particularly when getting sounds!). heh

Oh Yeah!... those gawdamn cowbells kick my ass as well!!!! ...
Old 20th July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jose Mrochek
Sorry for the ignorance, but what is a Dobro ??
Here is a silver body. Played like a guitar in some cases but mostly played with a little silver bar called a slide.
Attached Thumbnails
What's the hardest thing for you to record?-dm33.jpg  
Old 20th July 2004
Lives for gear

Hey thanks Oldone, never played one! Is it like a steel guitar ? I'm assuming these are mostly used in country music ? thanks for the pic
Old 20th July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey thanks Oldone, never played one! Is it like a steel guitar ? I'm assuming these are mostly used in country music ? thanks for the pic
Country and Blues were the original veins of music and they are played like a lap steel. Many different tunings can be used both major and minor chords.

If you are familiar with Norah Jones here in the states, her last two albums have some great examples of dobro in a more modern type of music. Great for ballads.
Old 20th July 2004
Gear Guru

I would say violins and string sections in general

the disparity between what a room full of violins actually sounds like and what most people want it to sound like in the mix is so great, it makes me want to throw up my hands and say "use a keyboard then"

I end up with massive cuts in the EQ. I wish I could come closer to the sound with mic selection and placement.
Old 20th July 2004
Lives for gear

The whole thing at once- drums, piano, organ, bass, vibraphone, vocal, all into one or two mics.

I'm thinking a really killer room would help a lot.

Any one of those at a time is not a problem...
Old 20th July 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

Quote:
Also good for Hawaiian ki ho'alu playing too.
Old 20th July 2004
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by amost
Jerry Douglas would make you smile.
Exactly! Though my usual dobro player is excellent, Jerry's playing is magical. What I want, I think, is the sound of jerry's licks being played on Jerry's dobro by Jerry Douglas. Without any one of those three, I'm probably going to be less than 100% satisfied.
Old 21st July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly! Though my usual dobro player is excellent, Jerry's playing is magical. What I want, I think, is the sound of jerry's licks being played on Jerry's dobro by Jerry Douglas. Without any one of those three, I'm probably going to be less than 100% satisfied.
Know the feeling, not to take anything away from the several great dobro players in town - he's pretty much on another plane all by himself.
Old 21st July 2004
Lives for gear

Although he's got to be just about the cleanest most inside dobro guy around- personally I'd rather hear some dirty, trashy dobro that leans on the spooky blues places, but my tastes run to blues and spooky in a big way.

Johnny Winter's tribute to the dobro- "sounds like a garbage can!"
Old 21st July 2004
Lives for gear

Although I saw Jerry do a Bill Frisell tune live the other day, and that was kinda spooky! Jerry practically apologized for it and swung into something suitably saccharine for the closer.

The man certainly can play!
Old 21st July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Nightshade
Although I saw Jerry do a Bill Frisell tune live the other day, and that was kinda spooky!
"Lookout For Hope" - title cut off of JD's last effort. Really great album IMO.
Old 21st July 2004
Gear Addict

1. Handclaps.
2. yes, cowbell.
3. Horn sections
4. Bowed Psaltery. No, really.
Old 21st July 2004
Jai guru deva om

Space.

What I mean is I still have a bit of a tough time judging how much space should be recorded (close mic'ing, distance mic'ing). During mixdown sometimes it's just very tight with not much room sound which can be good and bad.

Of course you can make up for most of it with a good reverb.

War
Old 21st July 2004
Lives for gear

Solo acoustic guitar and vocal... very hard to get right.
The cross bleed is a killer. It makes compression quite difficult.
Old 21st July 2004
Gear Maniac

Tamborine

I'm never satisfied with it. It always seems to lack just what I think the track is calling for it to do.

I have come to a comprimise with using two semi-wedged inside each other (one is round wood and the other half-moon double rowed) and at a distance with a touch'o'comp. 1176 or distressor usually.

Not to mention how difficult they are to play musically. One of THE most inpressive things to me about "standing in the shadows of motown" was how amazing he handled the tamborine. Effortless. It floored me.
Old 21st July 2004
Lives for gear

Yeah, tambourine is really, really hard to record!
Old 21st July 2004
Gear Guru

I think bass kicks my ass the hardest. I rarely find the magic tone. There's always a couple notes that just stick out...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search